HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+, The Gorgeous Beast

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-12-2017, 10:18 PM   #31
Arch-Supremacy Member

Samsung could announce the Galaxy S9 in February (2018)

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/tech-...xy-s9-february

From article

".......Samsung is planning to announce the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus as early as late February with retail availability slated in March....."

"......Galaxy S9 models will have the same display sizes as the Galaxy S8 series, a 1,000 fps camera, faster iris scanner and facial recognition, faster overall performance and 512GB storage option...."

So looking forward to it.. no need microSD card already for me..
renfred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 10:46 PM   #32
Supremacy Member

So looking forward to it.. no need microSD card already for me..
I'd rather they don't up prices further north. Still prefer my photos to be on mSD, although a welcome for internal storage to start at 128GB given how much space WhatsApp and apps require.
kero89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #33
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'd rather they don't up prices further north. Still prefer my photos to be on mSD, although a welcome for internal storage to start at 128GB given how much space WhatsApp and apps require.
definitely, samsung will have to justify the price hike and i believe, is also based on market demand. like how 128GB didn't make it to SG.
Old 21-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #34

Too bad there won't be fingerprint scanner underneath screen. That would be mind blowing as iphone face Id is still not as reliable as fingerprint

Frankly, I don't find facial recognition satki at all. It's a waste of time to raise the phone up to my face just to unlock it.

Let's see what s9 can offer since the design should be 95% similar and only cutting away more bezel...
Why do u think Face ID is less reliable? I do agree it's more troublesome since Face ID have its limitation of that camera angle which requires u to lift up ur phone.
PongRareRare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 06:43 AM   #35
Master Member

Why do u think Face ID is less reliable? I do agree it's more troublesome since Face ID have its limitation of that camera angle which requires u to lift up ur phone.
with the fingerprint sensor behind.. you also have to lift up your phone.. i actually prefer samsung to improve their face id.. better for drivers also
Old 22-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #36
Arch-Supremacy Member

Face ID is a registered trademark of Apple, cannot anyhow use on Samsung threads leh. Samsung calls it facial recognition.

Be it facial recognition, iris scanning and fingerprint technology, all will have it flaws independently when used. But if you combine 2 or more together, it will become much less flawless.

In high security areas, they employ 3 security authentication such as fingerprint, iris scanning and facial recognition. Does your phone require such high security?

As Long as s9 possesses a better iris scanning, facial recognition or fingerprint technology comparing to the predecessors, it will be good enough. Of cos, pricing must also be on the same level of performance boost.
Old 22-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #37

I think the main problem with facial recognition/face ID/iris scanning is the angle required. I would use it if the allowable angle is super wide (almost 180 degrees kind of wide; no lifting/angling of phone required). As long as I need to angle the phone at a particular angle to unlock, this method becomes much less useful, regardless of how sensitive or quick it is.

The problem with fingerprint scanner is the location of the scanner. If it's placed at the back, you have to lift the phone to use it as some have noted. A far superior placement would be either at the side power button (Sony style) or on the front beneath the screen. The latter is one of the best solutions, pity that it might not come to the S9/S9+ (fingers crossed).

An alternative is to fall back on "smartlock" which keeps the phone unlocked when you have a pre-authorised Bluetooth device nearby (eg: Gear smartwatch). But that means of course that you have to have such a device and to have it on you.

Sent from Samsung SM-T825Y using GAGT
Omnia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #38
Supremacy Member

Face ID is a registered trademark of Apple, cannot anyhow use on Samsung threads leh. Samsung calls it facial recognition.

Be it facial recognition, iris scanning and fingerprint technology, all will have it flaws independently when used. But if you combine 2 or more together, it will become much less flawless.

In high security areas, they employ 3 security authentication such as fingerprint, iris scanning and facial recognition. Does your phone require such high security?

As Long as s9 possesses a better iris scanning, facial recognition or fingerprint technology comparing to the predecessors, it will be good enough. Of cos, pricing must also be on the same level of performance boost.
Bro... 'But if you combine 2 or more together, it will become much less flawless.' - you might want to rewrite this... ha ha... I think you meant 'less flaws'... or something to that effect...
Teo Ming Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 08:41 AM   #39
Supremacy Member

I think the main problem with facial recognition/face ID/iris scanning is the angle required. I would use it if the allowable angle is super wide (almost 180 degrees kind of wide; no lifting/angling of phone required). As long as I need to angle the phone at a particular angle to unlock, this method becomes much less useful, regardless of how sensitive or quick it is.

The problem with fingerprint scanner is the location of the scanner. If it's placed at the back, you have to lift the phone to use it as some have noted. A far superior placement would be either at the side power button (Sony style) or on the front beneath the screen. The latter is one of the best solutions, pity that it might not come to the S9/S9+ (fingers crossed).

An alternative is to fall back on "smartlock" which keeps the phone unlocked when you have a pre-authorised Bluetooth device nearby (eg: Gear smartwatch). But that means of course that you have to have such a device and to have it on you.

An excessively wide angle for the facial recognition method would defeat the security Apple purports... the phone will unlock at the slightest glance at the screen... I think while this Facial ID was a wow... practically speaking most users aren't really using it much cos it's both awkward and troublesome to use... not so much a fingerprint unlock... which is secure enough... after all... how many of us keep top secret world changing info in our phones?
Old 23-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #40
Arch-Supremacy Member

Bro... 'But if you combine 2 or more together, it will become much less flawless.' - you might want to rewrite this... ha ha... I think you meant 'less flaws'... or something to that effect...
“Much more flawless” I mean.. LOL. Shall leave it as it is.
Old 23-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #41

An excessively wide angle for the facial recognition method would defeat the security Apple purports... the phone will unlock at the slightest glance at the screen... I think while this Facial ID was a wow... practically speaking most users aren't really using it much cos it's both awkward and troublesome to use... not so much a fingerprint unlock... which is secure enough... after all... how many of us keep top secret world changing info in our phones?
I would rather my phone unlock "at the slightest glance". Don't think it's a security risk to have an excessively wide angle as the phone would be in my possession anyway. If need be, reduce the workable distance to the length of your arm. The reason facial recognition is awkward and troublesome is precisely because of the required angles.

This is not too different from the current smartlock feature in Samsung phones which rely on proximity.

Old 23-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #42
Arch-Supremacy Member

I would rather my phone unlock "at the slightest glance". Don't think it's a security risk to have an excessively wide angle as the phone would be in my possession anyway. If need be, reduce the workable distance to the length of your arm. The reason facial recognition is awkward and troublesome is precisely because of the required angles.

This is not too different from the current smartlock feature in Samsung phones which rely on proximity.

It’s beyond technical limitation to have a wide angle as of now.. perhaps this can be enforced in the future I hope..

Smart lock relies on Bluetooth that operates on LE. It’s not sustainable..
Old 25-12-2017, 11:01 AM   #43
Supremacy Member

If that is the case, I wonder if the security level would be that high... it would probably entail having to do a 3D CAT scan of your head.. so that at any angle, the phone will recognise your face/head and unlock...
Old 25-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #44

If that is the case, I wonder if the security level would be that high... it would probably entail having to do a 3D CAT scan of your head.. so that at any angle, the phone will recognise your face/head and unlock...
Yes, but it would be awesome.

Old 28-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #45
Supremacy Member

I'm not sure I want that type of info to be available to anyone... much less my phone...
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.