HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

TV box

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

TV box

Hi, I know there are a lot out there that's why I need some help to guide me into making a choice to get one or stick with the telco's. I'm basically looking for one that can still tune in to local TV channels. I guess XiaoMi can't do that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Kapong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

Don't ever buy TV Box from IT shows..

Sent from 索尼大法好 using GAGT
amazingone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 11:31 PM   #3
High Supremacy Member

Do not buy the Pixeplay one. It is crap.
in the argumentative bugger's skull
Fatfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #4

can you elaborate why?
Kapong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 12:30 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

Stick with telco box if you do not want to crack your head over the box later.

The tv box is not smooth as the exhibitors are showing during their demo. There is a learning curve required if you want to buy one.
Most box can only access to the regular MC channels through Toggle.
But, the english movies are blocked due to copyright issues.
Medicated Oil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

Don't buy TV box from any IT show unless u like to be carrot head.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 3 using GAGT
blade39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:49 PM   #7

I think it depends on how savvy you are with using technology. I like to use android boxes as there are so many apps available and you can watch anything you want over KODI and with fibre backend full hd streaming is also a breeze. In fact, i realized some time back that we really hardly watch any channels on cable tv while paying for so many packs and its a waste. Cut the cord almost 9 months ago and no regrets. I found it quite easy to setup everything and find the apps i want through some simple google searches but the experience and learning curve may differ for everyone.
You should research on which box or specs you want first and then buy from QOO10/Lazada i think as the choice in IT fairs is quite limited and generally the more expensive ones without much added benefit of the 'brand'
Ultimateslacker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
Master Member

Just don't buy TV box at fairs. Period
blade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
High Supremacy Member

can you elaborate why?
Constant crashing, intermittent signal (even with active antenna) leading to picture freezing.

The processor is crap as well and is so low performance that it can't play a lot of video codecs. And it's too slow to use VLC player.
in the argumentative bugger's skull
Fatfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:52 PM   #10

hmm.. can someone explain in more detail why not to buy tv box over at IT fair?
scng10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

I think it depends on how savvy you are with using technology. I like to use android boxes as there are so many apps available and you can watch anything you want over KODI and with fibre backend full hd streaming is also a breeze. In fact, i realized some time back that we really hardly watch any channels on cable tv while paying for so many packs and its a waste. Cut the cord almost 9 months ago and no regrets. I found it quite easy to setup everything and find the apps i want through some simple google searches but the experience and learning curve may differ for everyone.
You should research on which box or specs you want first and then buy from QOO10/Lazada i think as the choice in IT fairs is quite limited and generally the more expensive ones without much added benefit of the 'brand'
I learned everything about the box myself through the internet and youtube.
It was a challenge and fun to me.
For most of the people, they want the easy way out instead of learning themselves.
So, they have to pay the penalty.
No easy way out for the box.
You are your own best repairman.
Medicated Oil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #12

agree. anyway for people who have learned to use android phones shouldn't be too difficult to extend that to using android boxes. The thread was really about where to buy from I guess and the answer to that is to buy from online retailers where you can easily compare all the specs and reviews. In a fair it is easy to get duped by what you see and bring home an inferior product plus most of the value products available online are not marketed at fairs.

I am waiting for the more matured devices on S912 to upgrade my 905. hopefully by the end of the month or in Feb will have some good new choices.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #13

I learned everything about the box myself through the internet and youtube.
It was a challenge and fun to me.
For most of the people, they want the easy way out instead of learning themselves.
So, they have to pay the penalty.
No easy way out for the box.
You are your own best repairman.
So any brands recommended to buy?
sid_sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #14

OEM boxes are fine as you can find on qoo10, aliexp or lazada. Just make sure you compare some reviews for the exact model even if it is further labeled on top by a specific distributor as sometime the implementation of the specs can be lacking. Else if you want a value brand which will be more exp that oem units, can look at Minix which can sometimes be decently cheap at lazada so look out for those special prices (I am waiting for the new Minix anticipated on s912 chip). Else if you want to go ard 200 bucks and more then you can get one of the established brands which should have plenty of reviews and comparisons available with some simple googling.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.