Free and reliable disk imaging tool

u0206397

Reaction score
Which free disk cloning/imaging software is the easiest and straightforward to clone its factory disk image of a pre-built PC or laptop to perhaps an external portable USB hard disk, without first booting into the installed Windows?

All recent PCs and laptops are using UEFI and GPT right? Can I assume all disk cloning/imaging software should handle GPT fine?

I am scared a bad disk clone/image will make restoration of the factory disk image impossible.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not really a fine of free imaging tool, the reliable of the
image that is created remains a question.

You can try this:

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Please be mindful if you asking for commercial/work use
do not use Free or Home edition which violates the EULA.
Have to consider proper imaging tools from respective vendors like
Acronis.

Acronis is a good imaging software brand that I used, it is not free
but you have to pay for it.
Can't really comment on free software but some HDD maker
like Seagate have their own software you can try.

However the functionality not to mention speed of cloning is that as quick as Acronis.
Just hopefully you are not asking for work use as such software is classified as Deployment tool but I know some places will not want to spend $ on such software cuz it is rather high cost.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.