HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How to convert video files to MP4/3GP/WMV/FLV and other video formats

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 02:26 PM   #1

How to convert video files to MP4/3GP/WMV/FLV and other video formats

I am not very good at digital stuff and I don't know exactly what the video format is, such as mp4, wmv, avi, and so on. I only know my iPod accepts mp4 video, my windows movie make supports wmv and if you want to upload your videos to youtube.com you have to make it into flv I think. And if you have a Camcorder video I think not many player can play it so just convert them.
reallyfunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

use super

www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
cslkelvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 03:52 PM   #3

Most camcorder videos are in AVCHD or MPEG-2 format. There are many online apps to convert video, such as zamzar, Acethinker Video Converter, mediaconvert, etc. They are free and you don't have to install anything. Just import your video and select output format as you want, run the conversion, that's all.
maccolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Arch-Supremacy Member

Wot is this thread
wwenze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

depends where u want to play. most android phones can play any format so no need to convert.
Old 20-04-2017, 06:14 PM   #6
Supremacy Member

I am not very good at digital stuff and I don't know exactly what the video format is, such as mp4, wmv, avi, and so on. I only know my iPod accepts mp4 video, my windows movie make supports wmv and if you want to upload your videos to youtube.com you have to make it into flv I think. And if you have a Camcorder video I think not many player can play it so just convert them.
MP4 is what you probably what you want to start with. It's the most popular video container today using h.264 codec. h.265 for some latest devices too. You will find it most widely implemented today and has one of the most hardware acceleration support too.

You can use software such as handbrake or more arcane but powerful command line tools like ffmpeg.

Update: What the heck, digging up a YR2009 post ?
davidktw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #7
Master Member

MP4 is what you probably what you want to start with. It's the most popular video container today using h.264 codec. h.265 for some latest devices too. You will find it most widely implemented today and has one of the most hardware acceleration support too.

You can use software such as handbrake or more arcane but powerful command line tools like ffmpeg.

Update: What the heck, digging up a YR2009 post ?

I was thinking of replying but I have already move on with video stuffs.
Didn't realize it's a 7 year old thread.
peterchan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #8

Google "handbrake"
Old 22-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #9
Supremacy Member

I was thinking of replying but I have already move on with video stuffs.
Didn't realize it's a 7 year old thread.
Actually there are still a lot about video encoding still at the frontier of computing exploration today. It will be an ongoing exploration because the demand for richer colour dynamics, richer audio dynamics and higher resolution in audio and video supersede the network and storage bandwidth requirements in the Internet. I am talking about scale here, not individual

If it is just plain using the tools, the services and tools are already there
Old 22-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #10
Master Member

Actually there are still a lot about video encoding still at the frontier of computing exploration today. It will be an ongoing exploration because the demand for richer colour dynamics, richer audio dynamics and higher resolution in audio and video supersede the network and storage bandwidth requirements in the Internet. I am talking about scale here, not individual

If it is just plain using the tools, the services and tools are already there
@davidktw,
You still using MPEG for HD encoding ?
I used to frequent VideoHelp forum. I have mastered until DVD menu stuff. No HD stuff until I upgrade to AMD Ryzen 1800.
Old 25-04-2017, 02:09 AM   #11
Supremacy Member

@davidktw,
You still using MPEG for HD encoding ?
I used to frequent VideoHelp forum. I have mastered until DVD menu stuff. No HD stuff until I upgrade to AMD Ryzen 1800.
These days I normally just stick with h264. h265 still require quite a lot of cpu and the support is not widespread yet.

I don't do video encoding for the sake of doing it. I research on it for some work related stuffs, or when i have some adhoc personal encoding stuffs to do
Old 25-04-2017, 07:54 AM   #12
Master Member

These days I normally just stick with h264. h265 still require quite a lot of cpu and the support is not widespread yet.

I don't do video encoding for the sake of doing it. I research on it for some work related stuffs, or when i have some adhoc personal encoding stuffs to do
That's how disruptive technology can be. Who would have know that bluray didn't manage to completely taken over DVD. Most at that time would think that it would be like DVD overtook VCD. It never happen and not many own the bluray player let alone bluray burner.
Old 25-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #13
Supremacy Member

That's how disruptive technology can be. Who would have know that bluray didn't manage to completely taken over DVD. Most at that time would think that it would be like DVD overtook VCD. It never happen and not many own the bluray player let alone bluray burner.
The way I look at this is with distribution. Bluray still command the best possible rendition like its predecessors like DVD and VCD in their times, but the main difference is when there is bluray, the proliferation of video distribution via online such as Netflix, Youtube and pirated mode using torrent makes it much easier for consumers to download movies.

Moreover not everyone has a theatrical setup at home nor are they putting a lot of priorities on quality. Most consumers are more interested in contents over technical quality.

So bluray with its hefty setup like good audio system, good visual system along with all those accessories like good cable and bluray player makes it a less attractive options. I also believe more and more users these days watch contents on their mobile devices and laptops, and hence the choice is rather clear
Old 27-04-2017, 06:25 PM   #14
Master Member

The way I look at this is with distribution. Bluray still command the best possible rendition like its predecessors like DVD and VCD in their times, but the main difference is when there is bluray, the proliferation of video distribution via online such as Netflix, Youtube and pirated mode using torrent makes it much easier for consumers to download movies.

Moreover not everyone has a theatrical setup at home nor are they putting a lot of priorities on quality. Most consumers are more interested in contents over technical quality.

So bluray with its hefty setup like good audio system, good visual system along with all those accessories like good cable and bluray player makes it a less attractive options. I also believe more and more users these days watch contents on their mobile devices and laptops, and hence the choice is rather clear
Smart phone is one of the factors. It's nice to have HD but DVD is good enough. With Android TV box, DVD rental shop is dead. It's just a natural progression when DVD replace VCD and VHS. It's just that bluray didn't do the job as expected by the corporation. But then corporation is going through the route of digital broadcast TV. No more analog but DVB-T2.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.