Questions about Ubuntu

Shahmatt

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would appreciate some advice from Ubuntu gurus.

I am considering trying out Ubuntu as reviews seem to show it has come a long way and I want to try exiting the paid Windows environment. In any case I spend my time mainly on Facebook, watching Youtube, playing Steam games, working on Google docs and doing some basic video editing stuff.

I have not used Linux based OS's before and am pretty unfamiliar with Terminal.

I have the following questions:
1. After installation will I be able to see the rest of my Windows based file system without a problem?

2. I intend to keep Ubuntu and Windows both installed on two separate drives, will I get an option to boot into which OS I want to go into?

3. I have some work related .exe software that I have purchased many years ago but still use. Would I experience problems with Ubuntu installation or would I likely need to use WIME?

4. Is it likely that my GPU (5850 Xtreme) has drivers for Ubuntu? Do games (from Steam for example) have compatibility issues with Ubuntu?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

jelloj

Reaction score
my reply

1. ans: yes
2. ans: yes
3. ans: yes you can use WINE but i have not have much success with it. what applications you are using in .exe, most likely you can find a suitable replacement in linux.
4. ans: steam is support in linux but your mileage might vary as certain games are not released in linux. anyhow, do try to go to your gpu manufacturer website to check.

Hi all,

I would appreciate some advice from Ubuntu gurus.

I am considering trying out Ubuntu as reviews seem to show it has come a long way and I want to try exiting the paid Windows environment. In any case I spend my time mainly on Facebook, watching Youtube, playing Steam games, working on Google docs and doing some basic video editing stuff.

I have not used Linux based OS's before and am pretty unfamiliar with Terminal.

I have the following questions:
1. After installation will I be able to see the rest of my Windows based file system without a problem?

2. I intend to keep Ubuntu and Windows both installed on two separate drives, will I get an option to boot into which OS I want to go into?

3. I have some work related .exe software that I have purchased many years ago but still use. Would I experience problems with Ubuntu installation or would I likely need to use WIME?

4. Is it likely that my GPU (5850 Xtreme) has drivers for Ubuntu? Do games (from Steam for example) have compatibility issues with Ubuntu?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Before you dive into Linux as a first time user, I will recommend that you install VirtualBox and try out so that you can continue to use your Windows while you get a good feel on how Linux feels like.

Yes I would encourage that you learn Linux. However nowadays there is no need to fully dive in unless you enjoy the challenge.

Shahmatt

Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses.

I shall proceed to try out Ubuntu from USB livekey and see how I like it. Maybe do a proper install after.

Will reply if I have any more questions.

darences

Reaction score
Hi, if I installed Ubuntu on a usb flash drive, can I boot it without any internal hard disk in the computer ?

Shahmatt

Reaction score
I have some more questions.

1. Does the Ubuntu install by default on the primary Windows OS drive? That is, does it install alongside Windows?

2. Does Ubuntu have any feature allowing recognition of Intel SRT (SSD acceleration)?

3. I currently have two WD Red HDDs set up in software (fake) RAID - using Intel RST. Would there be a problem in recognizing the RAID array in Ubuntu?

tangent314

Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.