*OFFICIAL* Standard Chartered Bank Online Equities Trading

chaokeng123

Reaction score
Must have access to the 4 "core" markets - US, UK, HK and SG.

8Securities anyone can sign up for an account anytime. Only issue is that for overseas applications like us in Singapore, we need to have a certified witness to witness our signing up. But they only have access to HK and US markets only.. They still in discussion with MAS to come into Singapore.

boe7874

Reaction score
Just some info for people who are thinking about opening account with Interactive Brokers. (I have an IB account.)

1. USD10K equivalent is required to 'activate' the account. You can transfer the money back after activation. So don't worry that your money will be parked there without earning much interest. You can transfer back to your favourite OCBC-360 or BOC account etc.

2. Min monthly fee is USD10, but it covers both your trading commission fees and forex fees.
Example:
If you buy S$500 worth of USD, forex fees is about USD2. Then use the converted USD (ie S$500 worth) to buy IWDA on LSE, trading comm fee is about another USD2.
If you do this two times in a month, you will almost hit USD10.

Other than that, IB is quite a decent platform to use.
One con I can highlight is the lack of local support. I had to call their HKG office for a tech support once.

nomoreliaola

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi have a qn ..... assuming a 2 x 250USD investment per month, wats the total fees we are looking at? will it exceed 10 USD?

Just some info for people who are thinking about opening account with Interactive Brokers. (I have an IB account.)

1. USD10K equivalent is required to 'activate' the account. You can transfer the money back after activation. So don't worry that your money will be parked there without earning much interest. You can transfer back to your favourite OCBC-360 or BOC account etc.

2. Min monthly fee is USD10, but it covers both your trading commission fees and forex fees.
Example:
If you buy S$500 worth of USD, forex fees is about USD2. Then use the converted USD (ie S$500 worth) to buy IWDA on LSE, trading comm fee is about another USD2.
If you do this two times in a month, you will almost hit USD10.

One con I can highlight is the lack of local support. I had to call their HKG office for a tech support once.

de5ert

Reaction score
I read from the other IB thread, it's seems that's the case, $10k usd to open account
Yes it is
Anyone have US stocks scrip dividends? How do they calculate? I always got a cash deduction from my usd settlement account for the withholding tax...
I have Starbucks and my dividends are after deduction. But I am not sure how the calculation is like though

Sent from Samsung SM-G935F using GAGT

jtec14

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Really 'outstanding' service from SCB. Can't get any live quote for iwda for the whole of yesterday since opening of LSE. :(

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For PC, IBKR you can download and install two different versions of their software (TWS).

One version is a standalone 'stable' version that doesn't update.
The other version is the version that always updates/patches itself.

So far I haven't had any problems with TWS but good to know that you are allowed to keep an 'old but stable' version incase anything happens with the new version.

storm913

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey gurus, I remember long ago there was a discussion on how I can trade with SCB account without the 1k minimum in savings account. Is that still possible? What account should I be opening? Thanks!

Sent from | using GAGT

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hey gurus, I remember long ago there was a discussion on how I can trade with SCB account without the 1k minimum in savings account. Is that still possible? What account should I be opening? Thanks!

You meant Dash account. It's still possible.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I will need to open them at SCB outlets right? Will do so later

Go to the Plaza Sing branch. That one should be a easier process though I forgot why. Some stuff need to verified or something...

Also, if you don't already have esaver, they will say you need to have esaver. You can open it and close it later, no penalty.

Asphodeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go to the Plaza Sing branch. That one should be a easier process though I forgot why. Some stuff need to verified or something...

Also, if you don't already have esaver, they will say you need to have esaver. You can open it and close it later, no penalty.

Thank you, I will need to open them at SCB outlets right? Will do so later

We are recommending to open at PS branch is because Singtel HQ at Somerset is nearby, in case opening Dash account got issue, can just take a short walk to Singtel ComCenter.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.