Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

All about Dividends

Like Tree74Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #31
High Supremacy Member

How do u know if buying before the x dividend date giving you excess returns compared to buying after x div. date? or vice versa?
do back test
wahkao3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 09:44 PM   #32
Supremacy Member

I already posted this in the CPF investment thread. Bought FCT for $7,300 in 2008-2009. Collecting annual dividend of about $1,540. So I consider my dividend warrior strategy reasonably successful

In contrast, I bought UOB same period for $8,000, UOB not known as a dividend stock but big component of STI. Annual dividend only $550. So the prediction in the chart above turned out to be true, dividend yield of FCT is almost 3x that of UOB.
limster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 01:31 AM   #33
Supremacy Member

In contrast, I bought UOB same period for $8,000, UOB not known as a dividend stock but big component of STI. Annual dividend only $550. So the prediction in the chart above turned out to be true, dividend yield of FCT is almost 3x that of UOB.
next he will say you should not be hard up over blue chips like UOB, what you should do is to cherry pick using FA+TA from a list of 800 + stocks on SGX. According to him, that is how you pick out the "multi-baggers" and be able to get returns more than your FCT example and thus not be so hard up over dividends
wahkao3, cesc-ark and QNH1013 like this.
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #34
Junior Moderator

thought must hold till the record date to be entitled?
Read though 3 pages only got this 1 question, the others are more about strategies stuff which is up for discussion rather than any definite answer.

Anyway, as I already explained in the 1st post, record date or book record date or whatever it is called is useless for the layman and it will confuse you exactly as you are right now. Don't bother about this date, it's more for accountants, not you. Let me repeat, this date is useless for investors.

But if you die die must know, go and wiki it, I choose not to explain here because it will confuse people. It's best they don't know about this date at all. Only remember ex-div is the most important and the only date that dictate whether one gets dividends.
wahkao3 and backsight like this.
Old 31-05-2015, 07:17 AM   #35
Banned

when I first started investing 9 years ago, I never believed in dividends..

that was until i saw the 2007 GFC and 2011 europe crisis

basically as a stock investor, you make profits from 2 ways only
1) Capital Gains (Uncertain)
2) Dividends (more certain)

I have no ability to tell which stocks are certain to go up and provide me capital gains, so I prefer so stick to a portfolio of solid blue chips and mid caps with over 10 years track record of maintaining or growing its earnings and dividends

cheers
wahkao3 likes this.
Obama486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #36
Junior Moderator

I shall grace this thread with my presence.
Lol, thanks arh, see any mistakes? Feel free to correct or add on.
Old 31-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #37
Supremacy Member

Read though 3 pages only got this 1 question, the others are more about strategies stuff which is up for discussion rather than any definite answer.
cos your post already very detailed and comprehensive, answer 99% of questions already
Perisher likes this.
havetheveryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #38
Banned

just to add

historically the STI provides about 3% dividend yield

can beat your 2% inflation by a bit LOL
Obama486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 08:15 PM   #39

Hi guys so which share is considerably good growth n dividend is really good? The realtis shares is it?

Is there a website can summarise dividend? I look at Sgx app of the shares dividend no. I not sure it is saying in percentage point 2% or it says 0.02 cents per share when it writes 0.02? Really confused. Lol. Tks.
boons4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #40
Greater Supremacy Member

Added to my consolidated thread
Perisher likes this.
Old 22-06-2015, 09:45 PM   #41
Junior Moderator

Hi guys so which share is considerably good growth n dividend is really good? The realtis shares is it?

Is there a website can summarise dividend? I look at Sgx app of the shares dividend no. I not sure it is saying in percentage point 2% or it says 0.02 cents per share when it writes 0.02? Really confused. Lol. Tks.
Good growth should look at the booming health sector like RMG/SOG/Q&M, of course that also means higher risk.

Good dividends, yup, look at reits/trust/ and other more complicated ones like rickmers? Of course, high dividends also likely means higher risk.

There is investmentmoat's blog that holds quite a bit of dividend payers or dividends.sg which should have most of the dividends counter available.

As for 0.02 usually means cents/dollars, yield is mentioned in % terms almost everywhere. But I don't use that app so I can't confirm. You tally Starhub quite standard, $0.20 every year which is $0.05 4 times a year.
SpeedingBullet likes this.
Old 23-06-2015, 08:40 PM   #42

Bro perisher lol ur nic. Tks alot..u really give great infor I pm u.

Wow imagine if ppl put 50k to earn 9% dividend ..isn't it very good?

Good growth should look at the booming health sector like RMG/SOG/Q&M, of course that also means higher risk.

Good dividends, yup, look at reits/trust/ and other more complicated ones like rickmers? Of course, high dividends also likely means higher risk.

There is investmentmoat's blog that holds quite a bit of dividend payers or dividends.sg which should have most of the dividends counter available.

As for 0.02 usually means cents/dollars, yield is mentioned in % terms almost everywhere. But I don't use that app so I can't confirm. You tally Starhub quite standard, $0.20 every year which is $0.05 4 times a year.
boons4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #43
Supremacy Member

do back test
another way of saying hindsight bias.
limster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #44
High Supremacy Member

another way of saying hindsight bias.
u got better solution pls share
wahkao3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #45

Sorry to disturb the discussion, but I have a few questions to ask as I don't understand how these things work.

1. After dividends are paid, the next day, the ex-dividend date, why would the price price based on the amount of dividends given? Is it due to people selling off their shares? Or is it some mechanism?

2. As for share prices itself, what can cause the price of shares to increase/decrease? Is it only affected by buying and selling? Are there any other ways to affect it?
LordLuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.