All about risk and return

Wood4

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

DANIEL BUENAS explains the two basic concepts that are central to all investment decisions

LAST week we talked about investment time horizons. This week, we'll look into the basic concept of risks and return, which are primary considerations if you want to invest. While this may seem like something which is common sense, it is important that you have a good understanding of this concept before you start investing. After all, risk and returns are likely to form the basis of all your investment decisions.

WHAT ARE RETURNS?

This is basically what you gain (a positive return) or lose (a negative return) on your investment, after you have cashed out on it. Even if you have not actually sold your investment, you can still calculate your return by comparing your investment's market value against your purchase price.

There are usually two different ways you get returns from your investment.

# The first is through interest or dividend payments in cash, which is also called income. When your income is expressed as a percentage of the purchase price, you get what is known as yield.

# The second type of return is through appreciation/depreciation in your capital, which is the rise or fall in the value of your investment. This is known as your capital gain, or loss.

You can use annualised returns to compare investments held over different lengths of time. For example, if you had an investment that gave a return of 30 per cent over 3 years, your annualised return would be 9.1 per cent.

Take note though, that you will have to take into account transaction costs and charges when computing your returns, as these will eat into what you actually made. For example, you will incur brokerage charges when you buy or sell shares, and when investing in unit trusts, you will also have to bear management fees and other expenses.

WHAT IS RISK?

Risk can be divided into two basic types:

# The first is systemic risk. These are things that affect the market in general, and include economic conditions, changes in interest rates, changes in market sentiment or shifts in government policies. Basically, systemic risks are things that you are unlikely to escape from, and as an investor, you cannot avoid systemic risks.

# The second type of risk is specific, or non-systemic risk. These are factors that apply only to the investment you hold, including the quality of a company's management and sustainability of its products or services. This type of risks can be reduced if you spread your risks over a number of holdings.

NO PAIN NO GAIN?

As they say, high risk, high returns - for most investments, this adage holds true. A common mistake that investors make is to focus only on the expected return of an investment, without considering the risk.

As an investor, you need to know what your risk tolerance is. To figure this out, you have to look at your cash flow, financial commitments, and your future plans. You also need to look at your investment time horizon (which we discussed last week). Generally speaking, the more time you have, the more risk you can take.

HOW DO I MANAGE RISK?

One of the simplest tools you can use to manage risk is diversification. This means spreading your investments over a variety of assets to avoid too much exposure to a single source of risk.

If you find that you don't have enough resources to diversify your portfolio, or if you think you don't have the expertise to choose different investments from different sectors, the best thing to do is get some professional advice.

In today's markets, where companies can go belly up almost overnight and where events half a world away can cause havoc at home, it's good for you to understand this simple concept of risk and return.

Information for this article was provided by the Monetary Authority of Singapore and the Investment Management Association of Singapore (IMAS) as part of the MoneySENSE national financial education programme.

tralvex

Reaction score
Wood4 said:

DANIEL BUENAS explains the two basic concepts that are central to all investment decisions
:
:
As they say, high risk, high returns - for most investments, this adage holds true. A common mistake that investors make is to focus only on the expected return of an investment, without considering the risk.
:
:

Another mistake made by investors and experts is the wrong assumption that high returns is associated with high risk, overlooking the fact that there are investments which come with capital protection - not many of them, but there are. Just need to be humble and keep our radar open while being careful of real scams out there.

dhrye89

Reaction score
Another mistake made by investors and experts is the wrong assumption that high returns is associated with high risk, overlooking the fact that there are investments which come with capital protection - not many of them, but there are. Just need to be humble and keep our radar open while being careful of real scams out there.

Care to elaborate more on investments with capital protection? Thanks.

trippy

Reaction score
Care to elaborate more on investments with capital protection? Thanks.

eh i think capital protected investments, the principle amount is not guaranteed, i.e. if the NAV of the underlying stocks is lower than the principle amount at maturity, then you would have suffered a loss.
whereas for capital guaranteed investments, as the name suggest, the principle amount is guaranteed.

Yorixz

Master Member
Reaction score
low risk low returns.. that's for sure...
no guts to embrace risk.. den poor for life..

silverwolf

Reaction score
Risk is a very important concept that I see many people who are investing or trading dont understand well enough. In a nutshell, it simply means how much are you willing to lose. And before every investment decision made, the risk reward has to have great potential before putting your hard earned money in.

Being consistantly profitable over the past 4 years, I can generally say the best investments often comes from a good analysis of the risk reward profile of a stock or forex pair.

Let me just share 1 example - Singtel

On 26 Sep 2012, singtel share gap down on opening due to temasek announcement of holding less singtel shares. it came after a period of decline and therefore has a good risk/reward profile and here is why:

1) the panic is unfound. Temasek is only letting away a small percentage of singtel shares. They still own more than 40% of singtel.

2) price is attractive, i.e, lower downside risk.

3) people are spending 3-5 hours queueing for iphone 5 launch.

4) All telcos change iphone plans from 12GB to 2GB, and is implementing other money making iphone data plans. This means profit potential.

My bet: 6 months from the gap down price of about $3.13, Singtel announces good quarterly results from sale of iphones and plans and share prices move up.

My risk: further downside in price, but price charts suggest $3.13 is a "fair price", hence "limited" downside risk.

cheers.

sngyanyuan

Reaction score
yes. agree. but take only risks you can afford to lose.

That is why position sizing is very important, i always trade within a measurable risk so that i am able to cut loss when i need to. Nearly follow chasen all the way down recently.

hylin83

Reaction score
i got scammed

i join the group at outram at 2013. i was intro by a collegue while doing timeshares. i went to the outram office and was intro a presentation. i put in 600 first and was told the binary need to intro a fren in order to meet the citriea. so i told them i dun wan to intro any friend and i will just open another 2 accts with my own money in order to qualify for the binary program. my friend that intro me in was my collegue callbenard who stayed at bt panjang. i treat him as a friend as i thought he was clever and knew all about these kind of investment. i was intro to alexx so called director in the comapny and a ladog forgot what name who works as a tution teacher. so i told him i just open 3 accts to meet the requirements to take the 10k reward once every other slots is filled up and i will get my cash. i saw a refund after one year if u didnt get ur cash when requirement is met. i asked for a receipt or agreement but my friend(ex) act blurred. then i waited and was told they are gg to genting to explain more about the company plans. i went and was told there is a office in kl for viewing and there is a lucky draw. i did won something but i didnt get to redeem it when email to comapny. met some other pple thru the program and heard they didnt get back their money amount from 1k to 10k. so i and another fb member began to comment in their fb and was removed from it. i am thinking to report to case and warn others about this scam or ponzi scheme. i recently wen tup to the orchrd tower office but it was empty. it even hire lion dance performance which i think alexx who had a **** face and cheater used ourt hard earn money to pay the expenses and overheads. i read thier fb and everything was gone owner not answer. i block my ex collegue and friend and since then i did not get back my money. i want to warn about this miracle world group even i dont get to get back my 1800 sgd 600 x 3 usd after covert might be more. please help and tell me what should i do. i only have the id and pw to log in into their miracle website. maybe can retrive after i forgot. i never invest until i am very sure. so i confirm this is scam. they claim they have bidding flower powder and into land banking buying property in cambodia. they claim there office in england have 600 million assets i really doubt so.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.