How do you guys track ur portfolio performance?

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you! But yeah, PnL and performance attribution is a genuinely hard problem if you want to do anything more detailed than just "what's my time-weighted or money-weighted return on my book of listed equities with well-defined closing prices".

Breaking down to a per-trade, or per-strategy level... properly attributing hedges and funding costs... accrual and accretion PNL for fixed income... liquidation methodologies for jurisdictions where your liquidation order has capital gains tax implications... this stuff is HARD, yo.

That said, if that really is all you want to do, and you want to add performance tracking of individual stocks, just pick a liquidation methodology (LIFO, FIFO, weighted average cost, whatevs), and make sure you keep close track of dividends and splits.

A few months ago, I went through an exercise where I had to liquidate my AAPL shares for capital gains tax purposes. The shares were held through two splits, two-three purchases, and two-three sales over a 15 year period. Of course, I had to account for foreign exchange rates too.

Crazy... :s22::s22::s22:

zeroX26

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Here's how I do my. Base on the scenario of Counter X purchased at different periods.

Jan bought 2 lots at $1.00
March bought 2 lots at 1.20
Average: 1.10 per lot (4 lots)

Since you are starting to monitor it now, use "Now" as baseline.

Now: 1.10 (if along the way you are still buying, just keeping adding to the average as above).

On the 31st Dec after Sg market ends, I will just take the last closing price to calculate the counter's growth / decline for that calendar year. Hence assuming its now 1.30, thus base on my average cost of 1.10 for Counter X, it has increased by about 18%.

stocklah

Reaction score
A few months ago, I went through an exercise where I had to liquidate my AAPL shares for capital gains tax purposes. The shares were held through two splits, two-three purchases, and two-three sales over a 15 year period. Of course, I had to account for foreign exchange rates too.

Crazy... :s22::s22::s22:

With FX in mind, one solution is to set a base currency to ease the tracking.

RubiksCuber

Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you! But yeah, PnL and performance attribution is a genuinely hard problem if you want to do anything more detailed than just "what's my time-weighted or money-weighted return on my book of listed equities with well-defined closing prices".

Breaking down to a per-trade, or per-strategy level... properly attributing hedges and funding costs... accrual and accretion PNL for fixed income... liquidation methodologies for jurisdictions where your liquidation order has capital gains tax implications... this stuff is HARD, yo.

That said, if that really is all you want to do, and you want to add performance tracking of individual stocks, just pick a liquidation methodology (LIFO, FIFO, weighted average cost, whatevs), and make sure you keep close track of dividends and splits.

In support of Shiny Things, there are people and companies who dedicate their whole lives/existence to these sort of things. It's a multi-billion dollar industry and so it's not realistic to cover in a single thread posting. For most retail investors, just keep it simple.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This.

I don't use all that other complicated bs cos my aim is not to beat markets. I'm not a hedge fund

seriously, we need to keep track of our investment returns. most of us here are active investors. so ideally our target is to try to beat the benchmark returns. STI for the case of a singaporean investor. or at least a target return of X% pa in the long run.

if we cant even beat the benchmark, i think we are better off buying the index. dont you agree?

the same mindset when we sit for an exam. our target is to score at least 50% or beat the average results.

as for the calculation part, it is more beneficial to look at the returns as a whole portfolio. instead of looking at individual returns. what is the big deal of making 50% on 1 trade if your overall portfolio is still red in the long run? or the 100k capital that you kept aside can only grow 1% pa in the past 10 years but you have 1 or 2 stocks making 100% total gains. so the portfolio returns as a whole in per annum basis is very important.

for those who are interested to calculate portfolio returns, i recommend reading the following article. it is just like a primary 6 maths so it is not difficult to follow.

Money Vs. Time-Weighted Return - CFA Level 1 | Investopedia

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In support of Shiny Things, there are people and companies who dedicate their whole lives/existence to these sort of things. It's a multi-billion dollar industry and so it's not realistic to cover in a single thread posting. For most retail investors, just keep it simple.

This is true: I'm one of those people and I work at one of those companies.

That said, if all you're trying to do is calculate your percentage return on your portfolio, it's not as hard as I'm making it sound. The magic googlejuice you want is "time-weighted returns" (easier) or "money-weighted returns" (more realistic); if you're with Interactive Brokers, their PortfolioAnalyst doohickey will do it for you.

SpeedingBullet

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes we must keep track of our returns. But imo, no one can honestly expect to beat the markets in the long run.. Because no one has. It's best we set our own target X% p.a. every year, it's more realistic.

That's why buying an index is always recommended! I don't do that because I prefer to beat my own expectations. Relative returns (against an index) can be a feel-good gauge sometimes but when it goes against you, das it mane.

The complicated bs i was referring to was all that sortino/sharpe/risk-adjusted returns stuff, because honestly, even after you get a number on your portfolio, it doesn't make much of a difference except make you feel more insecure about your insufficient alpha. These things only work for funds as they can actively rebalance with alot of money. For retail investors? Not gonna help much.

Yes it's best to track returns of the entire portfolio instead of individual stocks. You can have one returning 1000% but it's only 2% of your portfolio and the remainding 98% returning -10% will just revert that stellar return to the mean of underperformance :X

Thanks for the link btw. I didn't know investopedia gave free CFA L1 tuition!
seriously, we need to keep track of our investment returns. most of us here are active investors. so ideally our target is to try to beat the benchmark returns. STI for the case of a singaporean investor. or at least a target return of X% pa in the long run.

if we cant even beat the benchmark, i think we are better off buying the index. dont you agree?

the same mindset when we sit for an exam. our target is to score at least 50% or beat the average results.

as for the calculation part, it is more beneficial to look at the returns as a whole portfolio. instead of looking at individual returns. what is the big deal of making 50% on 1 trade if your overall portfolio is still red in the long run? or the 100k capital that you kept aside can only grow 1% pa in the past 10 years but you have 1 or 2 stocks making 100% total gains. so the portfolio returns as a whole in per annum basis is very important.

for those who are interested to calculate portfolio returns, i recommend reading the following article. it is just like a primary 6 maths so it is not difficult to follow.

Money Vs. Time-Weighted Return - CFA Level 1 | Investopedia

Last edited:

focus1974

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I use a tool called Investment Flow Chart in JStock

investment-flow-b.png

Not real powerful yet. But enough to answer basic question as in the form : How much is my total investment, and how much is my total return including dividend, sales gain & bonus stocks.

I do have plan want to make it able to answer, What is my annual return last year. But so far, no time to do that yet :(

https://github.com/yccheok/jstock/issues/7

Hi Cheok,

I guess you are the developer of the program?
Anyway, I tried it out and there's an error for the stock BF.B for US.
It can view the charts and prices but in portfolio, it is showing current price as ZERO value.
attached is the screenshot.

e264n.png

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.