How to Open a Stock Trading account in Singapore-Updated 2015

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
which online trading platform is the most recommended so far?

Maybe you wanna wait for Cimb? They will be launching a new platform soon. Will keep everyone update here

Campbellsoup

Reaction score
I have a novice question.

The trade commissions eg cimb is 0.275% or min 25 dollars.

Lets say I execute 10 trades for a day. Do I pay the cost for 10 individual trades or a consolidated charge for all 10 of them?

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I have a novice question.

The trade commissions eg cimb is 0.275% or min 25 dollars.

Lets say I execute 10 trades for a day. Do I pay the cost for 10 individual trades or a consolidated charge for all 10 of them?

If its 10 trades of the same direction (buy or sell) and same counter on the same date then it's consolidated as a single contract before applying the 0275%

raymondliu

Reaction score
Hi,

Anybody using poems, can you advice if the system will automatically cancel out the outstanding balance that i own?

Thanks!

1oxc03.jpg

Potatos

Reaction score
any idea where to learn stock trading tutorial?want to learn something while waiting for school to start hehehe

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
any idea where to learn stock trading tutorial?want to learn something while waiting for school to start hehehe

read my posts in this thread in the first few pages??

CoolRock

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe you wanna wait for Cimb? They will be launching a new platform soon. Will keep everyone update here

I see, thanks! What's the ETA? Sometimes new platform quite scary. Untested and bug-ful. :s22:

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I see, thanks! What's the ETA? Sometimes new platform quite scary. Untested and bug-ful. :s22:

Now pilot phase n ironing the bugs out. Don't worry, old platform will be running concurrently with the new platform when it's launched. Will keep everyone update here. Target date is always moving because we want to make sure it's bug free

sneak preview of cimb new web platform and also the portable propertiary trader

8vZIG68.png

gjYp7VE.png

wow what program is this?

“Investments into the right resources and technology will also be key to the success of our securities business. To this end, we intend to launch our new Internet trading platform with enhanced capabilities in February 2013.

Fong said CIMB Securities also expects to be the first broker to establish “co-location” facilities at SGX; reducing the physical latency and enabling our retail investors to access market data and execute orders more swiftly addressing increasing demand for expeditious and effective market access.

“For our institutional clients, we will be rolling out a new electronic trading platform with direct market access and algorithmic capabilities,” Fong said.
-----------

Using this to key order, its so fast when u click the mouse u immediately take from the seller even when you are at home or starbuck or when oversea :s22: no need click Liao wait for 1-2 second before its filled anymore le.

Pm me if u want to use then I open for u to try lor. It's free anyway till its opened to the public in a few months time

Last edited:

calebsss

Reaction score
I wish to open a stock trading account but i'm a student (23 yrs old), thus no fixed income monthly.

May i inquire which trading firms in singapore do not look at monthly income statements and still permit to trade since i do not fall under the young investor category as well.

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I wish to open a stock trading account but i'm a student (23 yrs old), thus no fixed income monthly.

May i inquire which trading firms in singapore do not look at monthly income statements and still permit to trade since i do not fall under the young investor category as well.

I know a few brokerages like U**** and P*** etc gives student $0 limit for contra if you walk in to open

But usually it's $10,000 buy limit and t+5 for full time student without need for deposit for a start.

You can pm me for details. Don't think it's appropriate to name them here

Or else you can consider opening Standchart for a lower comm + $1 for $1 buy limit

Motherliquor.P

Reaction score
I have a beginner questions.
If we trade using online platform, what is the role of a broker assigned to us? Does the broker have the authority to override our decision in buying or selling certain stocks?

Sinkie

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I have a beginner questions.
If we trade using online platform, what is the role of a broker assigned to us? Does the broker have the authority to override our decision in buying or selling certain stocks?

If you trade using online platform, you are free to buy or sell any stocks but qty will be bounded by your buy/sell limit given.

They can call u or u call call them and he will give u advice to dissuade you, but they cannot override your decision to buy or sell or suka suka cancel your orders that you placed online.

There are exceptional cases though for example, you didn't pass your CAR test and you tried to short a warrant, he can call and ask you about your intention.

What is the role of brokers? They are to bear your contra risk for the brokerages.

Check up my post #8

http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com.sg/64561424-post8.html

if anyone still have doubts regarding how to open your first trading account, feel free to ask any questions here or pm me also can

Agreed with you completely. If the broker doesn't like you he can do this.

One time he freeze my account limit so I couldn't sell.

I get punished when he actually made a wrong sell order. Nothing is fair in this world

Don't mess around with brokers cause they can be more powerful than the Lay person. This isn't America it is Asia

That's why it's always important to have at least 2 brokers. Always try to keep in touch with your broker. Constant communication is important even if you don't trade much.

If you haven't or never receive anything from him except forwarded email, then it's time to change broker la.

Brokers are like your chauffeur, some drivers like to be fetched, some like to drive themselves, but when there's time your car needs petrol top up or maintenance checkup, then it's time your chauffeur comes into play and support you all

No point paying your chauffeur to sit at home while u do your own driving. When u r drunk, call chauffeur, when you are oversea, call your chauffeur, when the car run out of petrol, call your chauffeur, when your car break down, call your chauffeur even if u like to drive yourself

Every clients will have their own brokers, even if its not an individual broker, there's also a team of brokers supporting you.

Get your broker msn, Skype, whatsapp, email and whatever mode of communication la

When the platform goes down, u have to call them to sell for u
When u need special arrangement to pay or receive money, call them.
When u need help on the platform, call them.
When u need receive funny looking letters from sgx or your shares, call them

----

u were saying end of the day is the broker plays an important part. meaning to say with the cimb platform, a broker would still be needed.

yes, you are correct.

Not only cimb,but it's the same when u open an accounts with any of the local brokerages firms(except Standchart).

Alot of retailers thought they are independent and have never heard from his broker before and assumes that he doesn't have a broker but in fact maybe because they are smaller fishes and so some brokers usually don't pay any attention to them or maybe because their brokers are lazy and bochup but still he will get a cut of the commission transacted when you does any buy or sell.

I want to trade on my own and so i don't need any broker and so can I pay a faction of the commission?

You will still be paying the same commission when u key the trades yourself on the Internet. This is industry practice. Even if you say you won't be assigned a specific broker, there will still be a team of brokers serving you to key trade when u call in + chase payment from you and commission will still be charged the same too

When u call in to get a broker to place trades, the commission fee will twice as much as when u key trades by yourself

I don't want a broker, can't I just key the trade myself?

Yes, you are still able to key the trades yourself via the online platform even if u have a broker.

Under exceptional case like when the web platform goes down, you can call the broker to give n still charge the online rate.

Or else it's always offline rate when a broker key trades for you

Last edited:

colonelsoh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry to repost in here.. need some advice:

====================================================================

Hi guys,

I came across this quote:

Never mix investment with insurance.

Investment is investment.

Insurance is insurance.

My advise. Invest in REITs. With $5000, you can buy:

- 3 lots of Mapletree Industrial Trust (6.6% yield)
or
- 4 lots of First REIT (5.2% yield)
or
- 5 lots of Starhill Global REIT (5% yield)

The next step is equally important. Save up that $100 per month. If u can, try to save even more. When the market corrects, you can average down.

That is how I am getting my passive income.

Good luck!!!:s12:

And also some research in investing, i guess REITs is the best way for me at this moment to bring in little passive income.

Or

Are there any investing scheme? I mean for starters like me with limited amount of spare cash to play.

=======================================================================

Also i read about REITs through here too:

Welcome To SIAS - Beginner Guide Website

A little bit about my current situation:

23yrs old and working full time.. Drawing $2K+ and save about $300 a month. :/ am nitec holder only.

So my question is:

1. How do i start REIT?
2. Whats the minimum $$$ to open CDP account?
3. Which brokerage to approach? (DBS Vicker in my mind currently)
4. Let's say, can i put $2,000 to invest in REIT and get back little bit of passive income?

Thanks all.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.