Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How to Open a Stock Trading account in Singapore-Updated 2015

Like Tree299Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #31
Great Supremacy Member

do all internet trading acc have 'limit order' ?

other than PoemsProTrader that offered 'stop limit order', which other brokerage it?
All accounts has limit order, and also fak and fok orders
saysuzu likes this.
Sinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #32
Master Member

i have a stand chart online trading account which i have actually not used yet.

i don't remember opening a CDP account when i opened that trading account. Can i still trade?

For buying of retail bonds via Internet or ATMs, for instance the recent perpetual bond by DBS, i would require a DBS Vickers account to buy that right?
saysuzu likes this.
leogeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #33
Great Supremacy Member

i have a stand chart online trading account which i have actually not used yet.

i don't remember opening a CDP account when i opened that trading account. Can i still trade?

For buying of retail bonds via Internet or ATMs, for instance the recent perpetual bond by DBS, i would require a DBS Vickers account to buy that right?
Standchart does not required a cdp since stocks bought from standchart is not deposited into your cdp but into scb's custodian account.

you need a cdp account to 'store' your retails bonds or ipo that you bought via internet or atm, but you will need a clearing member which we refer as brokerage firms in this thread to sell, so it is not necessary a dbs vickers but as long it is a clearing member like cimb, kimeng, or poems etc, you will be able to sell.
saysuzu likes this.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #34

Guys, which firm has the lowest brokerage fees currently?
saysuzu likes this.
equal_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #35
Master Member

Standchart does not required a cdp since stocks bought from standchart is not deposited into your cdp but into scb's custodian account.

you need a cdp account to 'store' your retails bonds or ipo that you bought via internet or atm, but you will need a clearing member which we refer as brokerage firms in this thread to sell, so it is not necessary a dbs vickers but as long it is a clearing member like cimb, kimeng, or poems etc, you will be able to sell.
thank you. so SCB only allow normal trading of stocks. But to subscribe to IPOs and retail bond offerings, I have to go through other brokerages which will require a CDP account?
saysuzu likes this.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #36
Great Supremacy Member

thank you. so SCB only allow normal trading of stocks. But to subscribe to IPOs and retail bond offerings, I have to go through other brokerages which will require a CDP account?
to subscribe (buy) to ipo and retail bond offering via atm, you only need a cdp. You don't need a brokerage account if u hv no intention to sell or if you have intention to transfer it to scb.

But in order to sell the ipo and retail bonds after successfully bidding it from ATM, you need a brokerage account to do so..

hope im clear here..
saysuzu likes this.

Last edited by Sinkie; 09-06-2012 at 04:37 PM..
Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #37
Master Member

Very informative!
saysuzu likes this.
staedtler_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #38
Master Member

to subscribe (buy) to ipo and retail bond offering via atm, you need a cdp but not a brokerage account if u hv no intention to sell or have intention to transfer it to scb
to sell the ipo and retail bonds, you need a brokerage firm account which will require cdp account as well or else u can also transfer it into scb to sell.

hope im clear here..
yup, ok will set up a CDP account soon!
saysuzu likes this.
Old 18-04-2012, 10:42 PM   #39

Hi gurus! Newbie qn here, am I right to say that I can open an account with any brokerage firm and don't have to pay any fees until I start buying/selling?
saysuzu likes this.
DeSond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #40
Great Supremacy Member

Hi gurus! Newbie qn here, am I right to say that I can open an account with any brokerage firm and don't have to pay any fees until I start buying/selling?
There is no maintenance or whatsoever fee until you buy any stock, and you are only charged when buying or selling. Even if there is a period of inactivity after you bought any shares, there is also no charges
saysuzu and commie_rick like this.

Last edited by Sinkie; 26-05-2012 at 02:39 PM..
Old 26-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #41

bookmarked.
saysuzu likes this.
raonrayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #42

to subscribe (buy) to ipo and retail bond offering via atm, you need a cdp but not a brokerage account if u hv no intention to sell or have intention to transfer it to scb
to sell the ipo and retail bonds, you need a brokerage firm account which will require cdp account as well or else u can also transfer it into scb to sell.

hope im clear here..
hi dat means if i wan to buy reit dividend shares i hav to open a brokerage ac ?
n wat if e utility bill is nt under my name ?

TIA
saysuzu likes this.
rainbowlovesya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #43
Great Supremacy Member

hi dat means if i wan to buy reit dividend shares i hav to open a brokerage ac ?
n wat if e utility bill is nt under my name ?

TIA
Yes, you need to have a brokerage account (cimb, kimeng, scb etc) in order to buy a reit dividend shares from the stock exchange.

It doesn't matter whether the utility bill name is under your name or not, you just need an IC to open provided you are not a foreigner without pr
saysuzu likes this.

Last edited by Sinkie; 09-06-2012 at 04:38 PM..
Old 14-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #44
Supremacy Member

Hello, newbie xdd that just turned 18 not so long ago here.
Sinkie can help me answers some of my questions?
1. Thinking of signing up either OCBC or CIMB youth programme, which would be better in terms of benefits?
2. For long term investment, would ETF or REITS or dividend stocks like Starhub provide better returns?
3. As i am planning to hold onto my investment for the long term, i will be making only a few or a single transaction, will there be fees if i dun trade much?
saysuzu likes this.

Last edited by [SG]Revolution; 14-06-2012 at 01:46 AM..
[SG]Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #45
Great Supremacy Member

Hello, newbie xdd that just turned 18 not so long ago here.
Sinkie can help me answers some of my questions?
1. Thinking of signing up either OCBC or CIMB youth programme, which would be better in terms of benefits?
2. For long term investment, would ETF or REITS or dividend stocks like Starhub provide better returns?
3. As i am planning to hold onto my investment for the long term, i will be making only a few or a single transaction, will there be fees if i dun trade much?
1) I would say Cimb because of the 30% rebate for all commission and also for its low deposit for limit requirement for 21 and below. And soon Cimb will have *i heard* cash upfront of 0.18% trading and also oddlot trading (cant confirmed)

2) not necessary because of market and business cycle

3) there is no fee for inactivity, fee will only be incurred when u buy or when u sell.. Sending in order is free till the order is filled too..
saysuzu likes this.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.