HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How to Open a Stock Trading account in Singapore-Updated 2015

Like Tree299Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #61
Great Supremacy Member

Ohh, so you're saying I should just get a normal trading account and buy odd lots every month or whenever i like? I think the amount of money i will be able to spare per month would be around 300-500..
is your choice..

if your amt is 300-500 and unless you are only targetting 1 share out of the 21 shares provided, then is advisable to go oddlot market to buy

because for every month of one time share purchase of $300 (up to $3500), your commission is still $10 in the unit share market (300 x 0.28% = $10 commission, (assuming you dont buy $10 each time but $300 at one go),

then might as well you do it yourself, at least you get to choose other shares such as reits or even counters like singpost or certain sector like commodities or even any one of the jardines and experience the feeling of buying and making your own decision.

Last edited by Sinkie; 05-12-2012 at 07:05 PM..
Sinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #62
Great Supremacy Member

I went to check, i think they updated the age eligibility. Now its anyone above 18. Since they're only offering 19 shares.. don't think its a good idea already haha
i guess you have made your decision

good luck in your trading and investing journey
Old 05-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #63

yeah, so means like CIMB or OCBC youth account would suffice right? If that's the case, i would just go and open account there instead already
Khuulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #64

hi, can anyone explain to me what is:

"Clearing Fees"

"SGX Access Fee"

Whenever trade in stock, must pay the commission charges and gst of 7% correct?

Standard Chartered Online Trading Commission is 0.2% and states no minimum commission, I check other brokerage firms range from 0.275% - 0.28% for Online and Non-Advisory Trades. Standard Chartered is it the lowest currently?
IMPERIAL EMPIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2012, 11:19 AM   #65
Great Supremacy Member

hi, can anyone explain to me what is:

"Clearing Fees"

"SGX Access Fee"

Whenever trade in stock, must pay the commission charges and gst of 7% correct?

Standard Chartered Online Trading Commission is 0.2% and states no minimum commission, I check other brokerage firms range from 0.275% - 0.28% for Online and Non-Advisory Trades. Standard Chartered is it the lowest currently?

"Clearing Fees"
A charge assessed by a clearing house (SGX) for clearing securities trades using its own facilities.

"SGX Access Fee"
Commission charged by sgx

Both of these charges are chargeable for 7% gst as well and are collected on behalf of sgx too.

you are still liable for these charges even if u are using standchart

Standard Chartered is not the lowest, but just that it doesnt charge minimun commission of $25. This is recommended for people who do not need contra facilities or invest very little like below $5000 for each stock purchase.

But there is always a tradeoff for such low commission charges so do not expect reliable stock platform.

Last edited by Sinkie; 29-07-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Old 05-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #66

I'm sorry to ask,I've read the guide but I'm still not very sure which account i should go for.
I'm hoping to open a account but w limited capital.
Great Thanks !
HandsumToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #67

Sidetrack abit.. anyone heard about this SGX virtual stock market platform that starts on September? My knowledge about stocks/trading is almost close to 0. But i'm going to try and learn abit of things from there, and also read books on it.
rejuvienate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #68
Great Supremacy Member

Sidetrack abit.. anyone heard about this SGX virtual stock market platform that starts on September? My knowledge about stocks/trading is almost close to 0. But i'm going to try and learn abit of things from there, and also read books on it.
i think you are talking about sgxwhizz, the competition??
Old 17-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #69
Master Member

Anyone can advise me how come my DBS cashupfront account got balance even though i already use up all the funds and withdraw any balance. seems like there is a cash rebate? I balanced all my credit and debit and the money in the cashupfront is extra. please advise?

EDIT: Okay, just received letter from DBSvickers and the credit is a trade promotion.

Last edited by Red_Cheesepie; 17-08-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Red_Cheesepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #70

hi

would it be advisable to open an account with stand chart, as they do not have a minimum charge (I won't be trading large amounts of money).

But I read your first few posts, and it seems they don't have CDP, so I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing
beary2teddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #71
Great Supremacy Member

hi

would it be advisable to open an account with stand chart, as they do not have a minimum charge (I won't be trading large amounts of money).

But I read your first few posts, and it seems they don't have CDP, so I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing
Open a Cdp account with sgx first then open Standchart if minimum commission is an issue.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #72
Master Member

from what i read and understand, yes you are right, buy is 0.18%, after T+3 sell is 0.28% with dbsv or other brokerages.

but i read somewhere that as long u sell withint T+3, it is still 0.18% but it is not 'contra-able'
not contra-able?

does it mean i buy and sell within T+3, i still have to pay for what i buy initially using the cash upfront balance, then the money will come in T+3 into my EPS account after i sell the stock? rather than just the differences deducted or credited in my cashfront account.
Deathzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 PM   #73
Great Supremacy Member

not contra-able?

does it mean i buy and sell within T+3, i still have to pay for what i buy initially using the cash upfront balance, then the money will come in T+3 into my EPS account after i sell the stock? rather than just the differences deducted or credited in my cashfront account.
If you want to play contra (paying just the difference), it's 0.28% but using the Dbsv or other brokerages like CIMB,

if u want the cash upfront before buying, it is 0.18% using the Posb website.

Last edited by Sinkie; 12-10-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #74
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi guys, I need some help here.

I just tried to open a CDP account with DBS vickers abt 2 wks ago, and I received the confirmation and login earlier this week, and I am able to login le.
But strangely I just received a sms a few mins ago with the below message:

Dear Client, pls be informed that CDP has declined yr CDP linkage due to signature differ. We have resent you the CDP25A form for your signature again via post.

So what now? I don't touch anything until I re-sign this CDP25A?
kazuki666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #75
Master Member

yes you need to link your cdp account before trading, for your stocks to reside or leave. they are quite strict about your signature. if still can't match, you will have to go down and update your signature.
Deathzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.