HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

How to start Investing. Books, Sites.

Like Tree24Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #16

There are usually 2 type of companies, growth type and mature type.

The growth companies tend to have low to no dividends as they need the capital to grow/expand/m&a etc...

The matured companies tend to have mid to higher dividends as their business is matured and have not much room to grow fast, thereby they require less capital and thus giving out higher dividends.

There are some which are in between these 2 type.

There are also companies which give more dividends due to the nature of it's business like reits.
So how do we decide what kind of stocks to buy? Those with or without dividends? Much appreciated, and thanks for sharing
fionalohjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #17
Junior Moderator

So how do we decide what kind of stocks to buy? Those with or without dividends? Much appreciated, and thanks for sharing
Everyone has their own style, there is no definitive way to invest/trade. Everyone has to take responsibility for their own decision to buy/sell any stock.

If you want a simpler, fuss-free approach, I would suggest you start with STI ETF+Bond ETF, the specifics can be found in Shiny Thing's thread
http://deluxeforums.hardwarezone.com...b-4866757.html
Old 26-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #18

i bought a penny stock a year back for fun. however i didn't keep track and when i check on them recently the market value became 0 I cant really remember what is the stock name previously but seems like the name has changed to ols enterprise. im confused... that stock still appear on my accounts with market value 0. how do i get rid of it any advise? thanksss
Janson Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #19
Honorary Member

i bought a penny stock a year back for fun. however i didn't keep track and when i check on them recently the market value became 0 I cant really remember what is the stock name previously but seems like the name has changed to ols enterprise. im confused... that stock still appear on my accounts with market value 0. how do i get rid of it any advise? thanksss
haha think juts left it there.

same too. brought penny stock for fun won $300 at first after that lost $500
Old 27-09-2015, 01:08 PM   #20

haha think juts left it there.

same too. brought penny stock for fun won $300 at first after that lost $500
Haha yeah lost a couple of hundreds too. failed speculation for me but oh well treat it as a lesson learnt in buying penny stock. can win big and can lose all
Janson Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2015, 03:42 PM   #21
Honorary Member

Haha yeah lost a couple of hundreds too. failed speculation for me but oh well treat it as a lesson learnt in buying penny stock. can win big and can lose all
hannor.. just play for fun can le..
Old 28-09-2015, 06:28 PM   #22
Banned

eh "All about how to start investing"? i am not sure lah, me angmo cannot lah..

but i think we can start listing all the questions that newbies ask

1) What is ETFs, bond and stocks?
2) What are ES3 and A35 and the difference?
You should approach me ma. My headline all very sexy one...

Can come up with something like"

"The Beginner Guide To Singapore Stocks Investing"
"Newbie Alert: How To Be A Investor That Doesn't Suck"

Hey Fiona, I would suggest to do a read up on STI ETF before going into individually stock. Have the big picture right first.

This will allow you to make about 7% annualized return.

The best guide I've ever read for STI ETF is here:

http://www.bigfatpurse.com/straits-t...-need-to-know/
GiraffeValue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:01 AM   #23

Hi guys, im a newbie in stocks and i want to start building my portfolio by accumulating dividend stocks for long term. Since i'm 20 this year, i should be planning for the future already. Had quite a broad knowledge in TA since i was in forex about a year from videos, books and seminars.

Questions i have is:

1)I've seen in other thread seems like SCB (Stanchart) is the best for local stocks is that true? (if not, what other brokerage is good)

2)My startup capital is $3,000. It is substantial? (i was thinking to reinvest some of my savings into it every month)

3)Any good books recommendation to read for me to increase knowledge in stocks(dividend stocks/REITs/blue chip etc.)?

4)Should i approach the stock market the same way in forex?

Pardon me for my ignorance and if the question have been asked in other threads because i've tried finding the answers for a few hours here before coming to this thread to ask these questions

Thank you in advance for your precious time and i absolutely appreciate all the answers.
DeadmanINC likes this.
Thememberboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #24
Junior Moderator

Hi guys, im a newbie in stocks and i want to start building my portfolio by accumulating dividend stocks for long term. Since i'm 20 this year, i should be planning for the future already. Had quite a broad knowledge in TA since i was in forex about a year from videos, books and seminars.

Questions i have is:

1)I've seen in other thread seems like SCB (Stanchart) is the best for local stocks is that true? (if not, what other brokerage is good)
Yup, it's the best as it's commission is just 0.2%+/- vs $20-$25++ min for other brokerages... e.g. Singtel at $3.50 for 100 shares only cost $0.70+/- vs $20-25++ in other brokerages...

2)My startup capital is $3,000. It is substantial? (i was thinking to reinvest some of my savings into it every month)
It is not substantial but it is a good start. Since local market has reduced the minimal share for buy/sell down to 100 from 1000 so you can still buy a few different counter even with $3k.

3)Any good books recommendation to read for me to increase knowledge in stocks(dividend stocks/REITs/blue chip etc.)?
There are links in the first post of this thread that shows the books yup?

4)Should i approach the stock market the same way in forex?

Pardon me for my ignorance and if the question have been asked in other threads because i've tried finding the answers for a few hours here before coming to this thread to ask these questions

Thank you in advance for your precious time and i absolutely appreciate all the answers.
I think forex and stocks can use some of the same stuff, mainly the TA stuff. There's no reason to abandon everything just because one is forex the other is stock...
Old 05-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #25

Thank you so much for your prompt answers!
Old 05-10-2015, 01:54 AM   #26

But it seems like SCB requires minimum 21 Years Old?
Old 05-10-2015, 01:59 AM   #27
Junior Moderator

But it seems like SCB requires minimum 21 Years Old?
Yes. You are under 21? And you can trade forex?
Old 05-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #28

Yes. You are under 21? And you can trade forex?
There are some broker like CMC who can take in under 21.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #29
Junior Moderator

There are some broker like CMC who can take in under 21.
That's pretty dangerous... but oh well...
Genosis likes this.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:43 AM   #30

That's pretty dangerous... but oh well...
I've read some other brokerage online but all charges a minimum fee besides SC

Any recommendation?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.