M1 *Official* (SGX: B2F) - Part 2

TehBeng

Master Member
Reaction score
I guess it's just a matter of investors wanting to have better yield for their capital. M1 fundamentally has no too big a problem. However, the opportunity cost for the capital appreciation elsewhere is greater than just "Park" their money in M1 for a declining dividend.

That being said, M1 will be good for new investors who wants a pie in the dividend strategy (i guess?).

Sorry I noob, can only make noise but not contributions.

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If they can promise dividend constant for the next few years, I will buy in.
Declining earnings are so real. Eventually it will be followed by another dividend cut.

I guess it's just a matter of investors wanting to have better yield for their capital. M1 fundamentally has no too big a problem. However, the opportunity cost for the capital appreciation elsewhere is greater than just "Park" their money in M1 for a declining dividend.

That being said, M1 will be good for new investors who wants a pie in the dividend strategy (i guess?).

Sorry I noob, can only make noise but not contributions.

Perisher

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Who will promise anything like this...

Confident companies does it but fulfilling it is another matter.

e.g. KMI, the board promised dividends a few years back just before the oil crisis hit and was adamant about maintaining it but eventually failed to fulfill their promises. Was vested though small amount. :o

Reaction score
:o
hehe I already sold my m1 stock many months back when it hit 2++

I will not short m1 see the price can roughly tell it will stay around this price for some months.

have to see coming to year end.

Noobtrader18

Reaction score
Confident companies does it but fulfilling it is another matter.

e.g. KMI, the board promised dividends a few years back just before the oil crisis hit and was adamant about maintaining it but eventually failed to fulfill their promises. Was vested though small amount. :o

in times like this the more they promise the more i scared.

uncle168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
starhub is losing a lot of mobile subscribers to circles.life

it is also losing a lot of cable broadband subscribers to m1 fibre

this is because they buy the tv box from sls got so many channels only $100 per year and no need to hub liao as nowadays hubbing is very expensive

it is actually much cheaper to sign m1 mysim and m1 fibre separately and watch netflix

starhub has been throwing darts in the air like sph hoping to strike lottery

eventually starhub share price will fall below m1 as its operating cash falls due to declining subscribers and unable to pay dividend as it owns the bank around S$1b

uncle168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
on the surface m1 profit is falling because it is increasing the subsidy for handsets

but the revenue and subscriber base has been growing instead

in the telco game the one who has the most number of subscribers in the end wins as it can increase price in the future to recoup the margins lost during the price war

m1 is doing everything right

it is spending money on brand positioning, enhancement of network capex, cutting price to gain market share, reducing dividend to repay debt and buy back share to improve liquidity and eps

m1 ceo is the best ceo i've seen on any sgx listed company

in the end m1 would emerge as the biggest winner as it made use of circles.life to increase its market share quietly at the expense of starhub and singtel

singtel would suffer massive goodwill writedown in its investment in india and australia and extreme compeitition make its foreign investment lose billions every year

starhub would impair its investment in mm2 as it quicky burns up the money meant for gv acquisition for film production that would lose money as nobody watch

Noobtrader18

Reaction score
on the surface m1 profit is falling because it is increasing the subsidy for handsets

but the revenue and subscriber base has been growing instead

in the telco game the one who has the most number of subscribers in the end wins as it can increase price in the future to recoup the margins lost during the price war

m1 is doing everything right

it is spending money on brand positioning, enhancement of network capex, cutting price to gain market share, reducing dividend to repay debt and buy back share to improve liquidity and eps

m1 ceo is the best ceo i've seen on any sgx listed company

in the end m1 would emerge as the biggest winner as it made use of circles.life to increase its market share quietly at the expense of starhub and singtel

singtel would suffer massive goodwill writedown in its investment in india and australia and extreme compeitition make its foreign investment lose billions every year

starhub would impair its investment in mm2 as it quicky burns up the money meant for gv acquisition for film production that would lose money as nobody watch

The best ceo thing a bit oversell lah. Haha. But I think the other 2 telco problem won't benefit m1. Cable demand drop won't affect m1. Even if singtel or starhub other business got issue also won't affect m1. The only problem I see coming soon is other telco incoming, the market won't like it if the profits drop. And a few people here forecast drop in profit and dividends in the near future. Also more to think about is the IOT. Will it have a practical usage or not.

uncle168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
m1 was actually the 2nd telco in singapore

starhub was the third telco in singapore

it cheated by acquiring cablevision and leapfrog m1

so you see starhub entry didn't kill m1

in fact if you take away the cable tv m1 and starhub are almost the same size

the same thing will happen when tpg telecoms comes in

its strategy would be similar to circles.life

use clever marketing to trick consumers to switch telcos

if you compare circles.life sim only plan it is more expensive than m1 even with its so called free caller id

yet people believe they were getting a better deal due to ross endorsement

it is like people buying a iphone thinking it is a superior phone when a redmi phone does the same thing at a fraction of the price

circles.life didn't have to build a network, it made money after 1 year in operation because singaporean median income is high

people were willing to pay more for a good network

i think tpg telecoms focus would be to build a good central network first in the cbd and tier its data plan with unlimited voice and sms which business still uses

then slowly use the cashflow to expand its capex to the outskirt

a price war doesn't work in singapore

if your network is lousy you gibe free also nobody would subscribe as although you can port number across telcos it is troublesome so unless you can convince stinkies your network is superior few would switch telcos

over the past 20 years m1 have survived even after the entry of starhub

pager has died

adsl has died

2g has died

m1 is still alive

uncle168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
even in fast food

you notice last time they like to engage in price war

now they know stinkies are rich so they come out with funny expensive burgers and it worked as many buy to try

hence the way to make money in singapore is not thru a price war but thru clever marketing as stinkies are rich but daft

keekeekee

uncle168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think next year the government will fully liberalise the retail electricity market

this means anyone can buy electricity from either sp power or keppel electric

keppel electric is going to use m1 iot metering

it is likely m1 is going to partner anacle and edmi in a joint venture smart meter company to profit from this trend

Noobtrader18

Reaction score
i think next year the government will fully liberalise the retail electricity market

it is likely m1 is going to partner anacle and edmi in a joint venture smart meter company to profit from this trend

I hope u r right in the long run. The short term will have some kind of effect due to the new telco for sure. Will the IOT do well or not seems very crucial to the future of m1

urameshi_85

Reaction score

Hmm this guy really knows his stuff.

Think09

Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.