HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SingTel *Official* (SGX: Z74)

Like Tree1551Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2011, 09:03 PM   #61

Thanks for sharing these articles. I will take some time to go over them.

By the way, I agree wif ur views too. A fundamental shift in technology might render telecoms obsolete. So buying all 3 telecoms is not wise. However, I dun see that happening soon.

Or to put it simply, I dun think the telecoms will suddenly collapse within weeks. If there is a huge change in technology, I still have time ti liquidate my holdings.
IMO I am still debating whether the local scene is much different then the European telcos
Old 30-06-2011, 11:15 PM   #62
Supremacy Member

What is the cutoff date to entitle for dividend?
lionelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #63

What is the cutoff date to entitle for dividend?
Aug 5th. Paid on 26th Aug.
Chua Zhiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #64
Supremacy Member

Aug 5th. Paid on 26th Aug.
thanks alot going to buy as FD.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #65
Arch-Supremacy Member

One month to go before it's 19 cents dividend. Price has been going up last 2 weeks. Dilemma is whether should sell just before xd or take dividend ( n hope it does not go down more than 19 cents on 6 Aug)
cloud77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:13 AM   #66
Master Member

One month to go before it's 19 cents dividend. Price has been going up last 2 weeks. Dilemma is whether should sell just before xd or take dividend ( n hope it does not go down more than 19 cents on 6 Aug)
I think from historical observation, it is more likely that the price on XD will probably drop >19c from the last CD price.

But that by itself does that means that one should sell to capitalise on the gain since the dividend was announced.

Some traders have been successful in adopting such a strategy but I remain unconvinced that this is an effective way to generate returns. However, if they are able to pull this off consistently, then I will have to congratulate them on their success.

Personally, I will not adopt such a strategy and will continue to hold on to the shares; despite it dropping more than 19c from the last CD price. (Vested)
Paul Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #67

It will definitely drop more then 19 cents.

If you're a trader, you will sell before xd. If you're a investor, you will hold and collect divs for the next few years (must consider at what price you bought of course).
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #68
Arch-Supremacy Member

I think from historical observation, it is more likely that the price on XD will probably drop >19c from the last CD price.

But that by itself does that means that one should sell to capitalise on the gain since the dividend was announced.

Some traders have been successful in adopting such a strategy but I remain unconvinced that this is an effective way to generate returns. However, if they are able to pull this off consistently, then I will have to congratulate them on their success.

Personally, I will not adopt such a strategy and will continue to hold on to the shares; despite it dropping more than 19c from the last CD price. (Vested)
Thanks for the words of wisdom. In this case , assuming it really drop say 25 cents after XD, was wondering wouldn't it be better to sell before XD on 4 Aug and buy back a day after that to get a better overall position ? Thanks for your advice
Old 01-07-2011, 02:48 PM   #69
Arch-Supremacy Member

It will definitely drop more then 19 cents.

If you're a trader, you will sell before xd. If you're a investor, you will hold and collect divs for the next few years (must consider at what price you bought of course).
if the drop is significant, wouldn't it be better to buy again after XD ? (presumming the next day drop is > dividend + brokerage for sell + buy in again). Pls let me know if my thinking is correct ?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #70

if the drop is significant, wouldn't it be better to buy again after XD ? (presumming the next day drop is > dividend + brokerage for sell + buy in again). Pls let me know if my thinking is correct ?
yep absolutely. But you have to take the risks lor, must see how high it goes and whether there are related news which could affect the price.

I dont have so many lots of singtel to earn much from selling/buying back and i am happy with 7% div payout so i cant be bothered.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #71
Arch-Supremacy Member

yep absolutely. But you have to take the risks lor, must see how high it goes and whether there are related news which could affect the price.

I dont have so many lots of singtel to earn much from selling/buying back and i am happy with 7% div payout so i cant be bothered.
Thks for the confirmation
Old 01-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #72
Arch-Supremacy Member

Not selling my Singtel lots. Gonna hold long-term.

http://dividendsrichwarrior.blogspot...martphone.html
Old 02-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #73

Holding for long term too =)
But i only have 2lots.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 AM   #74
Supremacy Member

me too I got 10 lots.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #75

wah 10 lots is not only haha.

the pitfall is that you have a case of Starhub where it went back up immediately.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.