USA Stocks discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

murphys

Reaction score
New 50billion tariff from china. Market djf -350.

I dont see how china will win though. USA buys 505 billion from china. China buys 130 billion from USA. USA will win in the longer run if it continues

50 billion is almost 40% of china trade with USA lol.
Nobody wins in a trade war. And such things have a propensity to escalate into something uglier. Bad for risk markets. S&P claimed back the 200 day MA last night but may give it up... A strong or very weak non farm may well complete the barrage of negative news this Friday.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let's put it this way.

Deep inside the politicians' hearts, they want to see a calmer and stable financial market. :s13:

This drama will be over soon.

This period is definitely not for the faint hearted.

occifer

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nobody wins in a trade war. And such things have a propensity to escalate into something uglier. Bad for risk markets. S&P claimed back the 200 day MA last night but may give it up... A strong or very weak non farm may well complete the barrage of negative news this Friday.

US will still win here because the gap is too wide. 350b against 135b. Trump has the upper hand.

I got a feeling today might recover to break even. Markets may see this trade war talk as foreplay for real trade talks later without tariff actually implemented. They meet halfway perhaps.

revhappy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I bought another 5k SGD worth IWDA, not at the bottom, but somewhere in the middle of the upmove. This is a good time to do creeping acquisitions, for people who have a large chunk to invest.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

murphys

Reaction score
Breaking headline news: Trump asks US trade representative to consider $100 billion in additional tariffs on Chinese products.

Just when we have an easing of trade tensions, this has flared up again... shortly after US officials calmed down fray nerves following China's retaliation. Now eyes would be on China again for further retaliatory moves.... I remain bearish short term as these would likely continue until such time both sides come to the table and negotiate a final outcome or till we have a very strong earnings reporting season. That said, it has been difficult to trade the Market and stops need to be put quite wide away due to the increase in volatility. A strategy that I have used prior was to place stops at 1 ATR or near recent candle stick highs in my short term swing play and to take profit when a 2 times risk returns has been achieved. Now, I take profit at 1 times risk return and while stops have been placed based on my prior strategy, I shift my stops to 0.5 times risk when I have momentum moves in the direction of my trade. I am also quicker to cut when daily candles / patterns is contrary to my position. So far all trades have been short and I tend to initiate short positions when the market trades higher and take profits after a strong overnight move lower. As such, my holding period has shortened to 1 week and I am trading very nimbly... Please share how you are coping with this increased in volatility if you are a short term trader. Do you increase your stop loss distance, trade more nimbly or trade shorter time frames?

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek:

2554116.png

antonpoh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Breaking headline news: Trump asks US trade representative to consider $100 billion in additional tariffs on Chinese products.

Just when we have an easing of trade tensions, this has flared up again... shortly after US officials calmed down fray nerves following China's retaliation. Now eyes would be on China again for further retaliatory moves.... I remain bearish short term as these would likely continue until such time both sides come to the table and negotiate a final outcome or till we have a very strong earnings reporting season. That said, it has been difficult to trade the Market and stops need to be put quite wide away due to the increase in volatility. A strategy that I have used prior was to place stops at 1 ATR or near recent candle stick highs in my short term swing play and to take profit when a 2 times risk returns has been achieved. Now, I take profit at 1 times risk return and while stops have been placed based on my prior strategy, I shift my stops to 0.5 times risk when I have momentum moves in the direction of my trade. I am also quicker to cut when daily candles / patterns is contrary to my position. So far all trades have been short and I tend to initiate short positions when the market trades higher and take profits after a strong overnight move lower. As such, my holding period has shortened to 1 week and I am trading very nimbly... Please share how you are coping with this increased in volatility if you are a short term trader. Do you increase your stop loss distance, trade more nimbly or trade shorter time frames?

Trump is doing the right thing. I will just pick those US stocks that are not hurt directly by those US/China tariffs.

US loss 800 billion on trade per year.

starfish.starfish

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stocks without/ less business in china
- Amazon - checked
- Google - checked
- Netflix - checked
- Disney - need to keep an eye.

Ok can continue to sleep.....

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stocks without/ less business in china
- Amazon - checked
Amazon doesn't trade in China, but they're a big retailer. They sell an awful lot of products manufactured in China, including many products subject to the proposed tariffs. Tariffs would hurt their retail business fairly meaningfully, at least in the short term.

There's also the fact that President Trump hates Jeff Bezos, in part because Bezos owns the Washington Post.

murphys

Reaction score
Amazon doesn't trade in China, but they're a big retailer. They sell an awful lot of products manufactured in China, including many products subject to the proposed tariffs. Tariffs would hurt their retail business fairly meaningfully, at least in the short term.

There's also the fact that President Trump hates Jeff Bezos, in part because Bezos owns the Washington Post.

I am with you on this. In fact, most items bought by US consumers are made in China. What this means is that prices will creep higher in the US when tariffs get imposed. Trump slapping taxes or going after Amazon in other manners may mean higher cost for US consumers - All these higher prices may result in lower volume .... high inflation and lower economic activity = stagflation? Gosh how would the trajectory for interest be if that's the case?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.