USA Stocks discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

awful999

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Futures pointing to a positive open but will gains disappear into the close of Monday trading session? I am intending to buy MSFT tonight, hoping for a bounce. May be a dicey trade given all the negative sentiment from trump's problems to China tariffs weighing on the indices.

good call for MSFT buy

DukeCS33

Reaction score
Thanks. Think still a dicey trade - I was a little undecided as we had this tariff war brewing and about to blow up this week and if this go through, it may see stocks getting sold. In the end, I decided to follow my trading rules which tipped the scale towards buying.
That said, I was stopped out earlier because I was complacent - had a string of wins and forgot some of my rules and got stopped out of KBR and CRUS. Normally I would not go long when the index is toppish or overbought and I typically buy stocks which has some solid support behind it.... support either from my read of volume price analysis or those from established trendline or horizontal support. I went long NTAP last night as well. So if you look at these 2 stocks, they were sitting nicely against uptrend line, bouncing above them. Weis wave volume read indicates to me that its still bullish sentiment surrounding the stocks.
Now, I am going to protect myself with trailing stops at every USD 500 of profits. I normally do that after I hit USD 1k pnl.
Another stock that I missed last night was Visa - I decided not to take on too much risk and hence bought only 1 out of the 2 that got shortlisted from my research.

ipaq4444

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Think still a dicey trade - I was a little undecided as we had this tariff war brewing and about to blow up this week and if this go through, it may see stocks getting sold. In the end, I decided to follow my trading rules which tipped the scale towards buying.
That said, I was stopped out earlier because I was complacent - had a string of wins and forgot some of my rules and got stopped out of KBR and CRUS. Normally I would not go long when the index is toppish or overbought and I typically buy stocks which has some solid support behind it.... support either from my read of volume price analysis or those from established trendline or horizontal support. I went long NTAP last night as well. So if you look at these 2 stocks, they were sitting nicely against uptrend line, bouncing above them. Weis wave volume read indicates to me that its still bullish sentiment surrounding the stocks.
Now, I am going to protect myself with trailing stops at every USD 500 of profits. I normally do that after I hit USD 1k pnl.
Another stock that I missed last night was Visa - I decided not to take on too much risk and hence bought only 1 out of the 2 that got shortlisted from my research.

Dukecs33, do you use price above sma as filter condition for price above trend?

DukeCS33

Reaction score
Dukecs33, do you use price above sma as filter condition for price above trend?

I do look at EMA (not so much SMA). In MSFT, it was trading below the 20D EMA but above 50D EMA. Sometimes, stocks are observed to bounce off certain moving average lines - I do consider that when I look at overall price structure of any stocks I intend to trade but it is not a filter except that I filter out those stocks that are trading below 65D EMA. I prefer stocks bouncing above trendlines (connecting at least 2 lows) or horizontal Support lines.

MikeDirnt78

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
me -24% as of today, not far from you :s22:

I'm on 20% loss.

You take more but you have to give some. That's part and parcel of investing.

Next week is ER. Let's wait for guidance from the management.

Cutting loss is an option. I have no fear to cut loss and move on.

[M]aiev

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok I might want to say this again, what the investors do is to go in at 30-40% off it's 52w high or instrinic value as not to risk of overpaying or using TA partly. Timing the market is close to impossible but again as stated at bold, the purpose of buying at 30-40% off is not to risk of overpaying and in fact; buying in term of value.

DukeCS33

Reaction score
Frustrating - was intending to buy OII but it gapped up to a point where it was not worth to chase the price.

Immortal

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm on 20% loss.

You take more but you have to give some. That's part and parcel of investing.

Next week is ER. Let's wait for guidance from the management.

Cutting loss is an option. I have no fear to cut loss and move on.
Yup. Cut my losses on BILI @-30% too...

Now waiting on MU and IQ.

aster1

Reaction score
Which bank or banks are best for investing directly into US stocks of your own choosing without having to go via an external brokerage like Schwab?

Does Citi allow you to invest directly into whatever US stocks you want? HSBC? Any others worthy of mention?

hwzadmin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear members, please take note that this thread is now closed due to its huge size. A new thread has been automatically generated for your continued discussion here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.