Are 2 year warranty HDDs any good?

killerslayer92

Reaction score
Anyone has experience with the 2 manufacturers that offer only 2 yr warranty with their hdd???

do they spoil fast or is the 2yr warranty just to cut cost?

killerslayer92

Reaction score

the biggest piece of news to come out of that article is "Correction: Hitachi’s 2.5″ hard drive business went to Western Digital, while the 3.5″ hard drive business went to Toshiba."

so im getting a toshiba tmr :s13:

ive always thot hitachi had something more in their drives that make them last longer, the article juz supports that belief

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the biggest piece of news to come out of that article is "Correction: Hitachi’s 2.5″ hard drive business went to Western Digital, while the 3.5″ hard drive business went to Toshiba."

so im getting a toshiba tmr :s13:

ive always thot hitachi had something more in their drives that make them last longer, the article juz supports that belief
But what's the RMA like for Toshiba in sg?

killerslayer92

Reaction score
i bought a wd green instead lol. din get any feedback here so decided to play it safe and spend the extra money

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WD Green is known for their aggressive head parking mode which causes wear and tear to head mechanism. Not sure if this is improved?

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WD Green is known for their aggressive head parking mode which causes wear and tear to head mechanism. Not sure if this is improved?

Yes ur right. Can be changed via a tool but requires DOS mode to activate it if I still remember it. I tuned it for my own disks

killerslayer92

Reaction score
Yes ur right. Can be changed via a tool but requires DOS mode to activate it if I still remember it. I tuned it for my own disks

what is head parking mode? what tool you used to tune? my 2TB green is still fine and the low 5400rpm speed and 3yr warranty sounds like it will sure last longer so i chose it

davidktw

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what is head parking mode? what tool you used to tune? my 2TB green is still fine and the low 5400rpm speed and 3yr warranty sounds like it will sure last longer so i chose it

Do read it here http://www.storagereview.com/how_to_stop_excessive_load_cycles_on_the_western_digital_2tb_caviar_green_wd20ears_with_wdidle3

I voted using ultimate boot cd if I remember correctly. It has wdidle3 included

blammm

Reaction score
i changed the parking time from 8s to 300s

Just bought my 4TB GREEN EZRX revision. Its been only two days since I hooked it up. I ran CrystalDiskInfo and my Load/Unload Cycle Count is ridiculously high. Its at 195 for my Load/Unload Cycle Count for just 31hrs power on use due to the Intellipark. My 2yr old WD BLACK 2TB Load/Unload Cycle Count is at 665 running at 8934Hrs on power on use.

I trying to reduce the wear and tear of the needle and been searching for wdidle3 but not sure which one to use as there's one for GREEN and RED drives. May i know which wdidle3 did you use and could you provide a link as well.

BTW which Revision are you using? EADS or EZRX?

crystalnox

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bought my 4TB GREEN EZRX revision. Its been only two days since I hooked it up. I ran CrystalDiskInfo and my Load/Unload Cycle Count is ridiculously high. Its at 195 for my Load/Unload Cycle Count for just 31hrs power on use due to the Intellipark. My 2yr old WD BLACK 2TB Load/Unload Cycle Count is at 665 running at 8934Hrs on power on use.

I trying to reduce the wear and tear of the needle and been searching for wdidle3 but not sure which one to use as there's one for GREEN and RED drives. May i know which wdidle3 did you use and could you provide a link as well.

Where did you buy yours from? My EZRX seems fine.

blammm

Reaction score
Where did you buy yours from? My EZRX seems fine.

Fuwell. By default the Green Drives is probably normal with that high load/unload cycle because Intellipark parks the needle every 8 second from idling i just want to make sure i use the right wdidle3 to enable it to 300 seconds/5 mins just to reduce the load/unload cycles.On the WD site the spec sheets stated Reliability/Data Integrity For Green Drive is rated at 300,000 for load/unload cycle. So i just want to reduce the rate of the load/unload cycle for precaution sake cause it alarmingly high compare to my WD Black.

killerslayer92

Reaction score

its been a while i cant rmbr... but there was only 1 wdidle3. just run it and change the parameters

blammm

Reaction score
its been a while i cant rmbr... but there was only 1 wdidle3. just run it and change the parameters

Its ok I found wdidle3_1_05.zip from wd site. Read up somewhere on Tom's Hardware that it works for EZRX drive. Set mine to 300s as well.The rate of load cycle count reduce quite alot. Crossing my fingers that this drive would atleast last for 5yrs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.