[NAS] D-Link DNS-320 ShareCenter Pulse

leongws

Master Member
Reaction score
Finally I think I have configure the port forwarding correctly. I can load the login page. However after I login using my user name and password, I get a user timeout error at main page and it ask me to login again. I try login again but got error say user already login and try again later. Is it due to nas setting not set correctly?

Starushz

Reaction score
In that case, how do i retrieve the data?
Doing Raid 1 is also meaningless as taken in totality, there are 2 points of failures. i.e the hdd and the nas. If i can't replace the nas (short of replacing with the same model), how do i make sure the data inside is safe?

Starushz

Reaction score
Been doing some digging around. Seems that ther eis a software to extract out the data in the event your NAS fails. Just to share with the guys. The software is called Ext2Read.

Moneesh

Reaction score
Unable to get iTunes server working

I have setup the dns-320, enabled iTunes server, but when I start the iTunes in my MBP, it shows searching for the shared iTunes server but unable to connect to it. Anybody can share solution.

note: had called support, told me to restart and reset the box

weiyang76

Master Member
Reaction score
I have setup the dns-320, enabled iTunes server, but when I start the iTunes in my MBP, it shows searching for the shared iTunes server but unable to connect to it. Anybody can share solution.

I remember mine didnt work, until i flash it to firmware 2.0. Hope it helps. :o

Currently, i'm on firmware 2.02.

cwm83

Reaction score

I didnt manage to get it to work as well. It worked with previous iTune version though.

Alan_uk

Reaction score
Newbie DNS-320 - strategy options - 4 questions

Hi
First, I hope you don't mind someone joining you experts from the other hemisphere but you seem to be pioneers with the 320. I see this longgggggggg thread started in Nov 2010. Is it a record ;)

I've read this thread and many others but would still appreciate some advice.

I have a desktop PC with 230GB HD that's full. 150MB is for backups (daily/weekly/monthly/6 monthly and ad-hoc) and 30GB for media, mainly photos. The backup files then get moved to an external hard disk - also full. The PC HD is split into partitions C: to S: the higher letter drives P: to S: are the slow changing data archives, media files and backup data.

I've got a DNS-320 with a 1TB WD HD. I thought of simply moving the higher partitions P: to S: to the 320 keeping the drive letters the same.

Q1. Is there a simple hack to partition the 320? (I'm not familiar with Linux). If so, will the 320 software keep running as normal (no RAID needed).

Q2. Is there a hack to power it off? (I going to store it in a remote location in the house).

Q3. Seems there is no way of remotely powering it up though. I read I can power it down by pulling the plug and then it will auto start on power restore. Is that wise?, especially as I can't see how to disable write-caching.

Q4. Anyone any experience of backing up the 320 to Amazon AWS?

Plan B is to put the 1TB in the PC and the 230GM in the 320 and use it for backup. That makes it an expensive caddy! and it will be full in another 6 months or so. But by then HD prices may be down and I could buy another 1TB. But I don't like the idea of there being a single 1TB partition. Backups are more difficult and surely performance drops as the files get fragmented.

Sorry it's a bit of a long first thread.
Alan

P.S. We say you live "down-under". What do you call us in the UK and Europe - "up-over" ;)

ricard

Reaction score
Hi
I've got a DNS-320 with a 1TB WD HD. I thought of simply moving the higher partitions P: to S: to the 320 keeping the drive letters the same.
Q1. Is there a simple hack to partition the 320? (I'm not familiar with Linux). If so, will the 320 software keep running as normal (no RAID needed).
I don't think you can.
Each physical HDD in DNS320 is formatted as a single partition

Q2. Is there a hack to power it off? (I going to store it in a remote location in the house).
the DNS320 web gui has a power off feature, no need hack.

Q3. Seems there is no way of remotely powering it up though. I read I can power it down by pulling the plug and then it will auto start on power restore. Is that wise?, especially as I can't see how to disable write-caching.
correct. no remote power up.
my personal opinion, it's never advisable not to do clean shutdown.

albertlee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't think you can.
Each physical HDD in DNS320 is formatted as a single partition

Correction, actually each physical HDD is partitioned into 3 parts but only the largest user partition (HD_a2 or b2) is visible. The other partition (HD_a4 or b4) is used by firmware to store its own application (eg. Ajaxplorer) and other settings. The last being the swap partition.

ricard

Reaction score
Correction, actually each physical HDD is partitioned into 3 parts but only the largest user partition (HD_a2 or b2) is visible. The other partition (HD_a4 or b4) is used by firmware to store its own application (eg. Ajaxplorer) and other settings. The last being the swap partition.
You're right. I forgot about that. But can you map a windows network drive to those additional partitions?

jingler

Reaction score
Help

i am running ffp off the usb for the dns-320.

The dns-320 auto mounts flash drive as /mnt/USB/HD_c so made things alot easier. Just need to intercept chmod 777 issued by the system for flash drive which you can use kylek package.

I try to run ffp by flash drive.
But I can not found dns325-chmod-fix-0.1-1.tgz.
Anybody can help me.
Thank you very much.

Alan_uk

Reaction score
many thanks ricard and albertlee for responding so quickly, especially to a newbie ;) Most helpful. I'll mull over my options - might go for Plan B initially with new 1TB in PC and 230GB in NAS until I buy another HD.

kudo2904

Reaction score
I have been using my DNS 320 with a 1TB HDD for a year. Now I am thinking to buy another HDD to put in another slot. Do I have to reset the NAS so it will recognize 2 HDDs?

terence52

Banned
Reaction score
I have been using my DNS 320 with a 1TB HDD for a year. Now I am thinking to buy another HDD to put in another slot. Do I have to reset the NAS so it will recognize 2 HDDs?
If you are not setting a raid config, Afaik. No need to reset.

kudo2904

Reaction score
Tks for the reply. I got another problem. Yesterday when I pulled out the HDD for a while. Then when i put it back, i can't map the network drive in my PC (connect to the router by LAN Cable). I can still access the web UI of the NAS but when i try to map the drive, it was unsuccessful. ( it was \192.168.0.11\Volume_1).

Do you guys have any idea how to solve this. I don't wanna reformat my HDD coz there's data inside.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.