HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

D-Link DNS-320 ShareCenter Pulse

Like Tree20Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #286

2TB is the max, but I find the fine print interesting.

SUPPORTED HARD DRIVE TYPE
3.5” Internal SATA (Maximum HDD Capacity:
2 TB for each drive) 3

Maximum HDD capacity supported may increase in future depending on advances in SATA technology
toblos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #287

Just brought the DNS320 for a week.I encountered problem with accessing to one hard disk 2.when I switch on the set I was unable to access one of the hard disk and need to replugged the hard disk again to access the disk. I also need to hold on to the power switch for a while to get the hard disk lite to lite up, is this normal?
LC88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #288
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just brought the DNS320 for a week.I encountered problem with accessing to one hard disk 2.when I switch on the set I was unable to access one of the hard disk and need to replugged the hard disk again to access the disk. I also need to hold on to the power switch for a while to get the hard disk lite to lite up, is this normal?
1. you need to ensure your hdd is fitted correctly. only if you fitted correctly, the hdd will be accessible if you formatted the hdd via dns-320

2. you only need to press once to on it.

3. when the hdd is "sleeping", you just need to access it via windows explorer and the hdd will "wake up". you do not need to press and hold the power button.

4. pressing and holding the power button for a few second will turn dns-320 off. ths is the standard operating function to prevent accidentally switching if off if you happen to press on the pwoer button

M1 300 mbps and Starhub 200 mbps
richneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #289
Arch-Supremacy Member

just realized it could be much cheaper to go for 4-Bay NAS with smaller HDD
iMbEst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #290
Master Member

How to transfer Files Directly from USB (on NAS) into NAS

Hey guys,

I realized transferring files from NAS's USB port to into the NAS uses the Computer as a Storage point before going into the NAS.

External HDD (NAS USB) --> Network --> Computer(temp file) --> Network --> NAS HDD

Is there any way/programs which I could use to navigate the DNS-320 to transfer files directly within the NAS without going thru the Network/Compter?

External HDD (NAS USB) --> NAS HDD

I figure it would be much faster/simpler?
blade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #291
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hey guys,

I realized transferring files from NAS's USB port to into the NAS uses the Computer as a Storage point before going into the NAS.

External HDD (NAS USB) --> Network --> Computer(temp file) --> Network --> NAS HDD

Is there any way/programs which I could use to navigate the DNS-320 to transfer files directly within the NAS without going thru the Network/Compter?

External HDD (NAS USB) --> NAS HDD

I figure it would be much faster/simpler?
connect the usb storage directly to dns-320 via its built in usb port?

Old 14-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #292

if i use one hdd as time machine back up for my mac, and the other hdd to be used for BT-ing and backing up of data for my pc, is it possible?

i know i'll lose out the benefits of raid 0 or 1 but is there any other way to go about utilizing the nas when the user has windows and mac systems?
fitlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #293
Master Member

connect the usb storage directly to dns-320 via its built in usb port?
Hey, I did that but the speed was actually not good as I am using my Computer to transfer.
Old 14-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #294

anyone have any idea how to stream MKV to any media players from DNS320? Seems like the standard UPNP server doesn't support MKV.... which is pretty disappointing for me T_T.

AKB48!!!!!~
kinshien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #295
Arch-Supremacy Member

the media streaming seems to be quite limited....which was the reason why I decided to pull the handbrake and looking into DS211 or the +...
iMbEst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #296
Arch-Supremacy Member

anyone have any idea how to stream MKV to any media players from DNS320? Seems like the standard UPNP server doesn't support MKV.... which is pretty disappointing for me T_T.
if im not mistaken, mkv is not a supported format for dlna at all

do correct me if i am wrong

but im streaming mkv movies via my home network to my xbox xbmc

Old 15-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #297

itunes

How long does it take for the itunes server to cuild the media library?

I have around 49gb of music and it works its way to about 50% and then hangs there. there doesnt feel like there is any activity going on with the hard drives either by holding the box... any ideas?
Jetpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #298
Master Member

Hey, I did that but the speed was actually not good as I am using my Computer to transfer.
Agreed, surprised that the transfer speed from NAS USB to HD was kind of disappointing.
albertlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #299
Supremacy Member

Agreed, surprised that the transfer speed from NAS USB to HD was kind of disappointing.
I have to agree on this as well. Dont know if it is an issue related to usb-storage ko? In the dns-323 days, transfers via usb were slow (for a particular usb-storage.ko) due to debug messages turned on. Hope it isn't the case for this.
Old 15-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #300
Master Member

I have to agree on this as well. Dont know if it is an issue related to usb-storage ko? In the dns-323 days, transfers via usb were slow (for a particular usb-storage.ko) due to debug messages turned on. Hope it isn't the case for this.
hmm.. i think the issue for the speed is because the data are going this way:

they are not going directly into the NAS. thats was the reason I was looking at a way to control the NAS via a remote explorer rather than thru the computer.

Could the AJAXPLORER do this? if it could how could we use it? I am only see-ing default files in it thou
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.