Noob buying NAS

Micki78

Banned
Reaction score
Hi pros, am thinking of getting a NAS and it will be my first time getting. I am a noob regarding this, I don't even know which one should I get . I am not a technical guy but I do some reading on it but still blur.
In the past, I buy many external hard disc for storage and when they get full, then I buy new one again. This led to many hardisk all over the place and direct connection to pc is mafan. Need unplug and plug etc.. So I am look at NAS cos I can centralized and via networking.
Main use for me is to backup my family video, photos etc.

Can I ask which brand should I get.. I really no idea. What should I look up for? And where should I go to get a better price ? Challenger, funan etc?

nanoprobe

Reaction score
How much TB of storage are u looking at? NAS when full also hv to upgrade and transfer data.

I think u need to read up more a bit coz u do need to get involved a bit else one day when centralized storage has issue it might be very painful.

Good brands are QNAP, Synology, if u hv the budget can start looking there. Prices are quite controlled so probably quite the same in retail shops.
Funan has some.

Last edited:

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sorry to hijack your thread but i thought this question might also be relevant to you.

folks - wanted to check with you how long you actually expect the NAS to be supported for? i bought the dns 343 in 2008. The device is still working but reached EOL since 2011. what this means for me now is that although it has not failed yet, i can't find hard disks to put in it. the compatible list has not been updated since 2011. to give an example, since the seagate 7200.11 series, I can't find another seagate hard disk that will work with it. This is really frustrating and now i feel like buying a new NAS and throwing this damned thing away. I was wondering if i bought a synology one, whether i would face the same issue in 5 years' time.

definitely would not get any dlink NASes anymore, given this experience.

Last edited:

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS, the following info is required:
1. budget
2. capacity of NAS (how many TB)

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No manufacturer will forever support the EOL models. At sometime down the road, discontinue in support will happen.
Different manufacturers have different support periods.

A 3 years life cycle is short, expecting at least 5 years.

sorry to hijack your thread but i thought this question might also be relevant to you.

folks - wanted to check with you how long you actually expect the NAS to be supported for? i bought the dns 343 in 2008. The device is still working but reached EOL since 2011. what this means for me now is that although it has not failed yet, i can't find hard disks to put in it. the compatible list has not been updated since 2011. to give an example, since the seagate 7200.11 series, I can't find another seagate hard disk that will work with it. This is really frustrating and now i feel like buying a new NAS and throwing this damned thing away. I was wondering if i bought a synology one, whether i would face the same issue in 5 years' time.

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score

1 cent $ 1 cent goods. I moved on from D-Link very long ago and never look back (i know alot of brothers here too also started with D-Link entry level NAS or similar before as well)

Hi pros, am thinking of getting a NAS and it will be my first time getting. I am a noob regarding this, I don't even know which one should I get . I am not a technical guy but I do some reading on it but still blur.
In the past, I buy many external hard disc for storage and when they get full, then I buy new one again. This led to many hardisk all over the place and direct connection to pc is mafan. Need unplug and plug etc.. So I am look at NAS cos I can centralized and via networking.
Main use for me is to backup my family video, photos etc.

Can I ask which brand should I get.. I really no idea. What should I look up for? And where should I go to get a better price ? Challenger, funan etc?

depends, IT Exhibits usually is the place to get NAS due to the sharp fall of price from brands like Synology, ASUSTOR and etc.

each brands has their own perks and cons. Take that into consideration when purchasing of a new NAS :)

Micki78

Banned
Reaction score
My budget is less than 500?
TB maybe = 5tb

Since someone mentioned shelf life, how long usually a harddisk can last?

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
500 including hard disk?

Cheapest 2-bay Synology DS213J $270
4TB WD Red Hard Disk $268
if running RAID 1, need another 4TB HDD
Total: $814

TB maybe = 5tb

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
TB maybe = 5tb

5TB = >$500.

piece of advice:
you either increase your budget or set your expectations lower.

Gribber

Banned
Reaction score
take it that you do not want any form of redundancy

DS213J = $270
Toshiba 3TB = $153
Toshiba 2TB = $112

go figure.

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
TS, you better run RAID 1 for redundancy.
Today hard disk is kinda unreliable.

nanoprobe

Reaction score
5TB u prob need to up yr budget coz disks cost u $$ + add redundancy.

Going Dlink NAS might save u $80-150 might not be significant and u give up some quality. Not that it won't work, I used Dlink for years without problems but firmware support is lacking.

c1steady

Reaction score
What is the typical syn ology transfer rate ? I can only achieve 20MB/s using buffalo duo link station on my win 8 pc. Which is kind of slow for me

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Take my DS212J for example, read 75MB/S and write 45MB/S.
Former Buffalo Duo user too.

What is the typical syn ology transfer rate ? I can only achieve 20MB/s using buffalo duo link station on my win 8 pc. Which is kind of slow for me

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.