HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

[Review] Ainol Novo 7 Paladin, Sub $150 ICS Goodness?

Like Tree9Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #1
Banned

[Review] Ainol Novo 7 Paladin, Sub $150 ICS Goodness?

This would be a user review on the Ainol Novo 7 Paladin. A short introduction about this tablet, it is a China tablet manufactured by a company called Ainol. Ainol has been in the industry for a long time, producing PMP players but moved on to Android tablets recently. This particular tablet has the same specifications as that of the Ainol Novo 7 Basic, but it comes with ICS 4.0 installed, with additional features and some features taken out at the same time.

Specifications
Product: Ainol NOVO Knight Paladin Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 8GB
CPU: JZ4770 (Xburst) 1GHz
GPU: GC860
Memory: 512MB DDR, 8GB Nandflash built in, Add up to 32GB via micro sd card
Screen: 7" Capacitive Multitouch Screen, 800*480px
Audio: Built in Loud Speaker
Supported Audio Formats: MP3, WMA, APE, FLAC,
Video: Supports 1080P videos: MKV, AVI, VOB, MPG, FLV, RMVB.
Features and highlights

8GB version Build in
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
Flash 10.1
Market installed
Ebook support
Gsensor
Mini USB port
Wifi 802.11b/g/n
Slim body
3.5mm audio jack

Supported Languages: Multilanguage support
Battery: Built in Battery Up to 4-6 hours via WiFi
Package Content: Ainol NOVO Knight
USB cable
Earphones
**there is no charger, it charges via USB**
As u may have noticed, it runs on the MIPS platform, hence apps compatibility would be an issue at this time. So some apps that are normally available for other platforms might be missing out.

Time for some pictures of the box!!

Impressive looking knight at the front of the box.

For those that cannot read Chinese, starting from top left
-Red sector indicates it comes with Android 4.0 (Most interesting part about this tablet) -Black sector indicates that it comes preloaded with Gameloft games
-Yellow indicating that the tablet is able to run mutiple formats including videos at Full HD (which would be tested later on)
-Blue sector indicating the Wifi and multi-touch capabilities
-Grey segment indicating a long battery life.
tatubias likes this.
repel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Banned

First thing when you put out the white box, you would be able to see the tablet in full view. Minimal protection but sufficient to survive the shipping all the way from China.

Accessories that comes with the tablet if you get it alone. Starting from the top left, the Ainol Novo 7 Paladin Tablet, a mini USB to USB cable (Note that its not a micro adapter), a certification label from Ainol stating that it has cleared manufacturing requirements, bundled earphones and lastly a User Manual that is only in Chinese (But if you worked with Android tablets before, navigating around it shouldnt be an issue)

Picture of the logo at the bottom right of the tablet. Not too fanciful, feels just right for me

Logo of the company at the bottom left of the tablet. If you noticed by now, the front of the tablet does not feature any buttons, which I feel is a plus feature for the tablet, after all ICS is meant to do away with all the buttons. The screen is also abit concave, so it depends on the user, feels nice for me though.

Last edited by repel89; 07-01-2012 at 12:05 AM..
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Banned

At the bottom of the tablet, nothing much except for a certification label.

At the right side of the tablet, nothing interesting as well.

At the top of the tablet, starting from the right, the power button, the back button and the menu button. Placing them on top of the tablet is a nice touch, giving the front of the tablet a sleeker look.

At the left side of the tablet is where all the interesting stuff happens. Starting from the right, a headphone jack, MicroSD slot, Mic input, mini USB port, Reset button and volume rocker. Personally, i like the inclusion of the reset button, as China tablets might go wonky at times, it really saves you during those times. As you might have noticed by now, the Novo 7 Paladin lacks an HDMI output which might be a turn down for some. But it compensates for that for the sleeker design and cheaper price. So depending on individuals, this tablet might be for you.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Banned

These are the additional accessories that can be purchased when buying the Tablet from China. I would highly recommend getting this package, though the price would be higher as compared to getting the tablet alone, its your call.

From the top left, clear screen protector (Do note that it doesnt fit exactly, you would need to trim a little here and there), a tablet stand, a tablet casing (It is a perfect fit for the Novo 7 Paladin, do get it if you do not want to be scouting for a casing later on), mini USB to USB On-the-go cable, a capacitive stylus (But doesnt work that well though), 4gb Kingston Micro SD card (Easily cost around 10 bucks in Singapore), Some random CD (Think it contain games/APKs and other interesting stuff, didnt get the time to open though), a USB wall charger (Note it uses US pins) and lastly an Airplane adapter.

A nice picture to end of the first part of the review.

Do let me know if you guys need additional information. Next up should be a video performance of the stock ICS that comes with the tablet!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Banned

Video is uploaded!! Pardon the cam shakes and all

EDIT: Thanks to SeasonCrystal. The Movie Trailers werent actually running at Full HD, but at a resolution tad lower than Full HD. Sorry for the mix up!

Last edited by repel89; 07-01-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #6
Banned

I take no credit for the links and applications posted below, I am merely reposting them for the convenience for consolidating all the information into one post.

Installing Clockworkmod 5
link
-Works for all MIPS platform
1) Download the required file from the project page
2) Rename the file to update.zip and transfer to the root of your microsd card
3) Power down the unit
4) Press Volume up and power buttons
5) CWM 5 should be installed
6) Press the Same keys to access recovery

Installing SuperUser, Busybox
link
1) Download the required file for ur OS (ICS for Novo Paladin)
2) Put the file into the root of your microsd card
3) Boot into recovery and install it

Thanks to fun_ at xda for the above
Activate ADB Debugging link
1) Follow the steps provided in the above link
2) Download PDAnet and it will automatically install the required ADB drivers for the Novo Paladin

Installing Dalvik Turbo
link
-Only works for MIPS platform!
1) Download the package for the required OS. (ICS for Novo Paladin)
2) Unzip the package
**Might want to do a Clockwork Backup First as this would change the compiler!**
3) Do read the PDF file which is included for detailed steps (ADB debugging is needed)

Getting Full Market Access
link
- Download the required file
**Might want to do a Clockwork Backup First**
- Run .bat file and follow instructions

Last edited by repel89; 07-01-2012 at 09:59 PM..
Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Banned

Shall dedicate this last post to other reviews that I have found online for your reference. I have also included forums that might be useful for reading

A pretty nice review. Do check out the video reviews as well. http://androidadvices.com/ainol-novo...andson-review/

A great forum to start with MIPS platform. Learnt alot from here. http://tabletrepublic.com/forum/mips-ingenic-xburst/

Another informative site http://translate.google.com/translat...%3Fp%3D3354335

Last edited by repel89; 07-01-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Old 07-01-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
Supremacy Member

Just nice, I was thinking of getting this baby as well.

If you don't mind, please try out a few apps. A lot of people say the main downfall of this particular tablet is the MIPS CPU which is incompatible with a lot of apps. I wanna know if this is true. Thanks
snipes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:10 AM   #9
Banned

Just nice, I was thinking of getting this baby as well.

If you don't mind, please try out a few apps. A lot of people say the main downfall of this particular tablet is the MIPS CPU which is incompatible with a lot of apps. I wanna know if this is true. Thanks
I would say its a nice tablet to get! Any particular apps you have in mind? If the apps are free, I wouldnt mind trying out for you.

Google Translate

There is a list here for Apps that are compatible with the MIPS platform.

Do refer to this thread as well

List of Apps working with Novo 7 Basic

Let me know if I can help out in any other ways
kyleongwl likes this.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #10

i also thinking of getting this. btw u got from mcbub?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
Banned

i also thinking of getting this. btw u got from mcbub?
Mcbub? Nope, didnt get it from there. Gotten it from Taobao though, then shipped it over using SgShop.

I would say this is a pretty nice tablet for the price. Do let me know if you need me to test any functions for you!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #12

looks nice~

currently deciding between this and the p76ti... I guess what I'd like to know is the usual, i.e. UI lag & video/batt performance...

btw, I read on tablet republic that were some screen bleed?
SpinNaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #13

I thought android apps are written in java and so should be machine or cpu independent
AlyAleAri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
Supremacy Member

I would say its a nice tablet to get! Any particular apps you have in mind? If the apps are free, I wouldnt mind trying out for you.

Google Translate

There is a list here for Apps that are compatible with the MIPS platform.

Do refer to this thread as well

List of Apps working with Novo 7 Basic

Let me know if I can help out in any other ways
Hmmm. How about Dolphin HD (web browser), MX Video Player (the best video player app IMHO), and Game Dev Story Lite (game). All are free! Thank you for your help

I thought android apps are written in java and so should be machine or cpu independent
Yup, that was my thought too.
snipes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #15

Also wanted to try MIPS... but this app compatibility :S

Can help check whether "X-City" by Aidi Games is available for non-NEON processor?

Market Ref: https://market.android.com/details?i...aidigame.xcity
ezraevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.