Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 - SP4 competitor

mikengtw

Reaction score
Any user can feedback on the batt life?

The battery life is around 8 hours that is
how you use , it all depends type of apps
you running . So far so good that the heat
is not like those hot, this one does feel
like normal warm type like a handphone .

tchau83

Reaction score
I haven't used it much yet, but since not much feedback is forthcoming, here's my experience with i5 version.

Heat - Stressed tested CPU, GPU, Ram simultaneously with Passmark burn in software in air-con environment. After 13 mins, CPU reaches 76C, frequency fluctuates quite a bit, but at that point is mostly at 2.2, 2.3 GHz. A spot at the backplate feels very hot.

In another case, in non air-con, installed a game mod, tons of file editing and copying involved. At hour plus mark, both cores consistently at 2.7Ghz, max temperature around 73C. A spot at the backplate feels very hot.

The temperature is fine for the CPU, I'm more concerned about its effect on the battery.

Battery - Not much to tell, since I mostly used in plugged in. I stress tested and ran down the battery to 75-80% (IIRC), then a youtube video played continuously in Firefox for 4 hours before it shut down.

Pen - works better than what I wrote earlier in the thread. Might be fine for drawing, but not really good for writing. Expect ugly handwriting. Might work better if you write in cursive.

I find that the on-screen keyboard sometimes does not pop-up. I recommend using the lenovo writeIt app; it converts handwriting into text if you write in any input text box, e.g. browser search bar. Get it here - http://support.lenovo.com/sg/en/downloads/ds112339. The official app on the Lenovo website only installs on Lenovo devices.

damonact

Reaction score
ACER SWITCH ALPHA 12 - FUNAN DM DEAL !!!

Hi,

I just bought this latest Acer Switch Aplha 12 to replace my 3 years of Lenovo Yoga 2 which was broken down weeks ago – high repair costs.

I am not a technical person, thus expect no professional review from me, just want to share the deal I got from Funan Digitalife Mall last weekend (shops offering move out sale until end of July 2016).

From MC.2 (3F) – S$1,498 (Intel Core i5 Model, 256GB SSD, 8GB DDR3)

Package Includes:-
1) Acer Tablet
2) Acer Detachable Keyboard
3) Acer Stylus
4) Acer – Slim Portable DVD Writer
5) Acer – Carrying Case
6) McAfee IS – 36 months subscription with no Expiry Date
7) MS Office 365 Personal – 12 months subscription
8) MS Designer Mouse – Claim from Microsoft SG
9) 2 Years Local Warranty

I ran the floors with only Newstead and MC.2 carry the model, while Courts next door with out-of-stock status. I strike the above deal with MC.2 after considering Newstead only able to offer the standard package as per recently concluded IT Show, at launch price – definitely not a good deal.

As a note, I made an exchange bargain with the Store Manager (Mr.Donald), to swap a 500GB Portable HDD (brand unknown, as I never see the item, Acer perhaps) with the MS Office 365 Personal Subscription – may sound crazy to some people, but being an old-time subscriber of both MS Office and McAfee, the Product Key can be used for renewal of my subscriptions. I got my own WD Portable HDD to serve my purpose.

Thinking forward, MS Office 365 subscriber get 1TB OneDrive storage, and on top I will get S$20 credit to my MRT Card for this purchase (Claim from Microsoft SG – My purchase detailed the package items) !!!

I will look into the Warranty Issues discussed here, but I am assured that this latest model comes with 2 years warranty from Acer – I have yet to register with Acer until the expiry of 7 days 1-1 Store Exchange for faulty unit.

Running the new laptop for 2 days already, working fine and performance within expectation for the price paid, the Stylus comes handy for those who writes on tablet…JUST LOVE IT !!!:s13::s13::s13:

See if I can share some hands-on user experience of this model in my next post.

May not be a great deal to others, but to me….YES !!!

babyk88

Reaction score
The set from Malaysia has international warranty. I am getting the unit at dealer price!

babyk88

Reaction score
I got my Switch Alpha 12 and I am in love with it compared to the older Switch 12.

The new Alpha is much smaller in size although both of them are 12" and also the Alpha is much thinner!

Good thing is I got it for $1100 for i5

kheng86

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got my i5 8gb/256gb version from eBay from a US seller. Price is $1262 including import charges and delivery. But I have to change the US power plug. If u paid 1.1k for the 8gb/256gb version, it's a fantastic price.

Sent from LGE LG-H860 using GAGT

invisible.hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One of the bummer points is that the keyboard is not magnetically attached to the tablet. I tried it out at Courts... the tablet is pretty heavy at 900 g. The Samsung TabPro S is much much lighter. Waiting for the Huawei and the Asus... the Huawei seems the most complete package.

craige

Reaction score
I was wondering if an i3 based model would be sufficient for me... ? ?

I want to use my stock market software in the background and 5-6 IE tabs at once.
Any experienced user advise would be highly helpful to me.

PS: I don't want any sort of Lags.

Apart from that most ppl say its heavy in reviews and here as well. Its 900Gms without keyboard and SP4 is 766 Gms. No idea abt the upcoming Asus Transformer pro 3 weight. - So does 150 grams difference really make it tht heavy in hand ?

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if an i3 based model would be sufficient for me... ? ?

I want to use my stock market software in the background and 5-6 IE tabs at once.
Any experienced user advise would be highly helpful to me.

PS: I don't want any sort of Lags.

Apart from that most ppl say its heavy in reviews and here as well. Its 900Gms without keyboard and SP4 is 766 Gms. No idea abt the upcoming Asus Transformer pro 3 weight. - So does 150 grams difference really make it tht heavy in hand ?

I3 is sufficient for you. Go feel in shop

craige

Reaction score
Getting my Switch Alpha 12 in 2-3 days, and I plan to do clean install of windows. May I pls know what are the drivers do I need to install from Acer website compulsorily after Re-install OR Windows will find everything automatically ?

Also, any worthwhile bundled software worth keeping?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.