Acer Aspire Switch Alpha 12 - SP4 competitor

SZQddy

Reaction score
Woah! Acer just launched an SP4 competitor that is seriously good value if the US price is anything to go buy:

http://us-store.acer.com/laptops/aspire-switch-alpha-premium-2-in-1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tet9OnXYRCc

i5 to i7 cpu and fanless! Base model is i5 with 8GB RAM and is a lot cheaper than the SP4 Core-M 4GB version.

Not quite as compact as the SP4, thicker and heavier, and build materials probably not quite as nice but still impressive.

Hopefully may force MS (and Samsung/Huawei when they get around to actually selling the damn thing here) to adjust their prices.

Last edited:

mikengtw

Reaction score
I do hope to see Huawei Matebook release
the price . Up till now there no news on
the price tag .. weather worth getting this
Acer or Huawei.

Peter1980

Reaction score
I'm so looking forward to this... but not before finding out the local release prices and also reviews from Cnet / Engadget first because the verdict is still out on whether this so-called "loop cooling technology" is a decade old technology given a marketing twist with a brand new name, or really new innovation and able to keep the CPU cool as they said it would.

Right now, all that I've searched for are just hands on impression and Techradar even got most of the specs wrong in their article.

Last edited:

mikengtw

Reaction score
Just for your info our neighbor Malaysia already start to release including price list..
Acer Switch Alpha 12

Hope Singapore Acer quickly release so I can play with this toy :)

SZQddy

Reaction score
Just for your info our neighbor Malaysia already start to release including price list..
Acer Switch Alpha 12

Hope Singapore Acer quickly release so I can play with this toy :)

:eek:

Can't believe how cheap it is and with those specs! Puts the SP4 and TabPro S to shame. Well-done Acer for not being greedy.

Just to check, i3 is better performing than all Core M processors?

Peter1980

Reaction score
Yes it is, slightly faster. But... best to wait for the full featured reviews coming in first before taking out your wallet.

You see, The Switch 12 Alpha uses a passive liquid cooling technology that they call "Liquid Loop". However, I'm still sceptical because the verdict is still out on whether this so-called "loop cooling technology" is a decade old technology given a marketing twist with a brand new name, or really new innovation and able to keep the CPU cool as they said it would. Given that we have so many tech companies out there, it's surprising that it took so many years for this innovation to appear. So for me personally, I'll wait for the reviews to come in to measure the speed of the CPU to confirm if it's running at the desired clock speed or underclocked (or even slower than Atom) just in order to maintain the heat dissipation via their passive cooling tech. In addition, battery life is still a mystery.

:eek:

Can't believe how cheap it is and with those specs! Puts the SP4 and TabPro S to shame. Well-done Acer for not being greedy.

Just to check, i3 is better performing than all Core M processors?

tspurs

Reaction score

Peter1980

Reaction score
Can check what's the local price? I tried visiting the link but it seems down for me. Maybe they're took it down and are revising it.

Wow, really cheap for an i7 8gb 512gb compared to SP4!

OTOH
* somewhat heavier (900g without keyboard, 1.25kg with keyboard)
* Screen matches SP3 but is less sharp than SP4
* Battery capacity is smaller at 4870mAh battery
* Earlier version of the Synaptics active stylus doesn't have a great reputation

SZQddy

Reaction score
Link is working for me but the page is not complete, no specs. Work in progress I guess.

2 recommended models, one is $1498 and the other is $1898. The latter may be the W10 Pro i7 8GB 512GB version...

tspurs

Reaction score
Can check what's the local price? I tried visiting the link but it seems down for me. Maybe they're took it down and are revising it.

Yeah it is blank now. When I saw it it was $1898 for i7 8gb RAM 512gb SSD with Windows 10 Pro, and $1498 for i5 8gb RAM 256gb SSD with Windows 10 Home. Both versions had stylus and keyboard included.

Edit: found this Acer SG link with full specs. i7-6500U and i5-6200U processors. Keyboard has no backlight.

Last edited:

kheng86

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Selling in Malaysia for about 1.2k sgd for the i5 version, but 1.5k in sg? Chop carrot head?

http://www.lowyat.net/2016/103947/acer-malaysia-launches-the-liquid-cooled-switch-alpha-12-price-starts-at-rm-2499/
Sent from LGE LG-H860 using GAGT

Peter1980

Reaction score
Those prices are crazy! I mean I know it's cheap compared to similar specs in Microsoft surface series but look at the selling prices in the States and even Malaysia.... why is it selling so expensive in Singapore.

If those are the confirmed prices, I don't think I will be waiting for the reviews.... I rather get Microsoft surface

Selling in Malaysia for about 1.2k sgd for the i5 version, but 1.5k in sg? Chop carrot head?

http://www.lowyat.net/2016/103947/acer-malaysia-launches-the-liquid-cooled-switch-alpha-12-price-starts-at-rm-2499/
Sent from LGE LG-H860 using GAGT

SZQddy

Reaction score
If anyone sees it on display then please do say where. I want to see this device for myself.

yapks

Reaction score
Still uncertain if the usb c on this tablet is gen 2 type or thunderbolt. From some of the reviews, it seem not thunderbolt.

Possibly can't even use with Acer own external GPU

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Graphics-Dock-brings-external-GPU-support-for-notebooks.161328.0.html

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.