HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Acer Switch 5

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 01:29 PM   #1

Acer Switch 5

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/SG/content/series/switch5

Finally it is here! Saw it at Challenger, Gain City & Harvey Norman over the weekend. Built quality is better than Alpha 12 (feel sleek and solid in hand, and the auto adjusting kickstand worked as advertised), and the screen is somewhat sharper too.

Play with the i7 unit for a short 10 min, browsing the net, watching youtube video, and trying out some of the program, there is no visible lag at all (screen is very responsive as well). And seems that the liquid cooling mechanism is working fine too, as the unit remain cool throughout (vs Asus T303 which is hot even while on display).

RRP @$1,498 (i5) & $1,898 (i7). Saw on Lazada that there is an additional $50 off from Acer official store. Wonder where else can I get it (eyeing the i5 model) at $1.4K or lesser.
carbon82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Arch-Supremacy Member

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/SG/content/series/switch5

Finally it is here! Saw it at Challenger, Gain City & Harvey Norman over the weekend. Built quality is better than Alpha 12 (feel sleek and solid in hand, and the auto adjusting kickstand worked as advertised), and the screen is somewhat sharper too.

Play with the i7 unit for a short 10 min, browsing the net, watching youtube video, and trying out some of the program, there is no visible lag at all (screen is very responsive as well). And seems that the liquid cooling mechanism is working fine too, as the unit remain cool throughout (vs Asus T303 which is hot even while on display).

RRP @$1,498 (i5) & $1,898 (i7). Saw on Lazada that there is an additional $50 off from Acer official store. Wonder where else can I get it (eyeing the i5 model) at $1.4K or lesser.
If you can wait, I rather you wait for the next IT show before taking the plunge. Down the road, this is likely to get cheaper and you may even find an i5 with a bigger storage option just like the Switch 12.

The liquid passive cooling worked well on the older Switch 12, so glad to know that it is keeping up with the heat output on the Switch 5 on basic usage. The Asus tablet is likely hot because the fan throttles on and off depending on the temp, unlike the liquid cooling that is in operation all the time.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #3
Supremacy Member

the $50 off nran out of vouchers
Old 13-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #4

I can wait for a while (till the upcoming Comex in late Aug / early Sep), but what is the likely offer, freebies or upgrade available for such a new model? Sorry, I didn't really follow laptop pricing & movement, as I usually only do my research when I want to make a purchase.

BTW, I have initially wanted to get Asus T303 for it better screen (size and resolution), HDMI & TB3, but the heating issues (and short battery life)seems quite bad, and was mentioned in every review I read online. One of the sales person I spoke to ask me to wait for the newer T304, which is expected to be available within these 2 weeks.

Wondering any other 2-in-1 available with decent specs and price of ~$1.5K that I should also consider. Thanks.
Old 13-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

I can wait for a while (till the upcoming Comex in late Aug / early Sep), but what is the likely offer, freebies or upgrade available for such a new model? Sorry, I didn't really follow laptop pricing & movement, as I usually only do my research when I want to make a purchase.

BTW, I have initially wanted to get Asus T303 for it better screen (size and resolution), HDMI & TB3, but the heating issues (and short battery life)seems quite bad, and was mentioned in every review I read online. One of the sales person I spoke to ask me to wait for the newer T304, which is expected to be available within these 2 weeks.

Wondering any other 2-in-1 available with decent specs and price of ~$1.5K that I should also consider. Thanks.
How much is the Asus 2 in 1? I recall it wasn't cheap.

There are 3 options I can think of that you can check out,
1) Lenovo Miix 520 & 720,
2) Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (I think there is some promo going on at Challenger now)
3) Acer Switch 12 which I have seen the price go as low as 1498 for the i7 version with 512GB SSD.
Old 18-07-2017, 12:34 PM   #6

How much is the Asus 2 in 1? I recall it wasn't cheap.

There are 3 options I can think of that you can check out,
1) Lenovo Miix 520 & 720,
2) Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (I think there is some promo going on at Challenger now)
3) Acer Switch 12 which I have seen the price go as low as 1498 for the i7 version with 512GB SSD.
Thanks for the advice. Ended up I got myself the Alpha 12 i7 with 8GB / 256GB at <$1.3K, which I deemed is better for my dollar. Things so far so good.

1) Asus T303 6th gen i5 8GB / 256GB ~$1.6K
2) Lenovo Miix 510 with 7th gen i5 8GB / 256 GB ~$1.4K
Surface Pro 4 6th gen i5 ~$1.5K for 8GB / 256GB ~$1.6K (with all accessories)
Old 19-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

Thanks for the advice. Ended up I got myself the Alpha 12 i7 with 8GB / 256GB at <$1.3K, which I deemed is better for my dollar. Things so far so good.

1) Asus T303 6th gen i5 8GB / 256GB ~$1.6K
2) Lenovo Miix 510 with 7th gen i5 8GB / 256 GB ~$1.4K
Surface Pro 4 6th gen i5 ~$1.5K for 8GB / 256GB ~$1.6K (with all accessories)
Enjoy man. Sounds like a decent deal to me.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.