Huawei MateBook

SZQddy

Reaction score
MichaelTan, how would you compare this to the Samsung TabPro S? These two are my main options (SP4 also but bigger and heavier and seems to have continuous issues still).

Think I will go with the Matebook only because it offers 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. Samsung decided that everyone only needs 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD. Really annoying and the whole pen situation is a mess!

However, the TabPro S does have amazing battery life.

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SZQ you know I am selling, right? How to look unbiased? But my biased view is this: CPU don't worry so much, but memory worry please. Once Windows and Chrome operate, it will cross 4GB and start paging to SSD. It MUST page otherwise it will crash. When paging to SSD it will slow down and the SSD will wear out. And 128 isn't even cutting it for all but the most basic windows+office+data installation. Do your own subjective tests, benchmark means nothing.

So I echo your sentiments. It has a wrong memory choice, wrong SSD choice. Processor really bochup. m7 MIGHT throttle when going through extended high turbo use. m5 seems to be the best choice.

Huawei has the Wacom pen. It is really spectacular, I saw artist use it during one of the launches and she loved it, said that it was better than her CintiQ and I trust her because she made beautiful sketches.

For those hung up on m7, I learned - unless you have super heat dissipation, the m7 being enclosed without fan, it throttles. In today's world of fanless, there's no fan to turn up when CPU is climbing in temperature. It's powerful, sure, but when it crosses 45+ C (depends on manufacturer) it must slow down. There are some cases where an m3 outperforms m7 consistently in a lousy heat dissipation notebook. So, m5 is pretty good choice. And even on an m3, it's snappy, m5 and m7 faster but you won't see any difference between both.

SZQddy

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts.

Regarding the processor, m3 would be enough for me but I don't think there is a m3+8GB+256GB model, so m5 it is!

I'm only a little worried about battery life. Do you think the m5 model give me at least 6 hours (web browsing, office docs, maybe some you tube)? Heavy stuff I can do at home/office when plugged-in.

Also, one more question if I may. My external monitor has DisplayPort. How would the dock allow me to connect to this and charge at the same time?

Thanks.

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UsbC is magic. There is a UsbC power input on the dock.

Battery life is always a crapshoot. Always bring a 10k mah battery bank if you anticipate 6 hours use without stopping. Good thing about these new tablets is, when you are not doing anything just press power button like your phone, wake up later with fingerprint sensor.

SZQddy

Reaction score
The dock only has HDMI but no DisplayPort. HDMI does not support DisplayPort signal without using an expensive active converter.

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UsbC is magic. There is usbc to dp adapter, install that on your monitor. Usd39 thereabouts.

SZQddy

Reaction score
UsbC is magic. There is usbc to dp adapter, install that on your monitor. Usd39 thereabouts.

But then I can't charge the tablet at the same time. That's problem I'm facing. I want to hook up a DisplayPort monitor and charge the tablet at the same time when at home.

Just trying to plan ahead so I know what I need. My monitor does have HDMI but it's used already so I would rather use the DisplayPort for my computing needs.

Thanks

SZQddy

Reaction score

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sqz, the port envisioned for presentation, VGA and HDMI is 99.9% requirement.

USB-C to DP is digital conversion, no picture quality issues involved.

"My monitor does have HDMI but it's used already" - if it's desktop just use the desktop to output DP and leave the hdmi for the Matebook.

SZQddy

Reaction score
Agree that VGA is still a requirement but it is a legacy port and both HDMI and DisplayPort can easily display vga with a cheap adapter. DisplayPort is a modern port/interface in the computing domain at least so it should be catered for in a product launched in 2016.

HDMI is used in a lot of entertainment and A/V products so I thought it would make sense for computers to make use of DisplayPort first. HDMI is more popular though.

I think Microsoft got it right with the SP4 by aligning themselves with DisplayPort standard by default.

Just my opinion, others may disagree :)

Anyway, it's not a deal breaker, just an inconvenience. Thanks for your input. I may buy the Marble device but it won't be available until October!

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi SZQ, just want to clear a few things up.

VGA is analog standard, HDMI is digital. Not trivial to convert HDMI to VGA needs a decoder chip and reformat to analog VGA output. Quality will drop. The `cheap adapter' is I think HDMI to DVI which is trivial.

SZQddy

Reaction score
Hi Michael,

Yes you are right. I was thinking of DVI-I which includes the analog pins. But still, HDMI/DP->VGA adapters are considerably cheaper (~S$20-50) than HDMI->DP (~S$180+).

In an ideal world the dock would include all three. Maybe there are some technical barriers or licensing issues.

That Marble dock looks ideal though, just need confirmation of compatibility. I sent them an email and they kindly responded with (I was asking about Macbook, TabPro S and Matebook):
Although Marble is designed to support all the three machines you mentioned, we have not verify its compatibility with TabPro S and Matebook yet. The good news is that we are recruiting beta testers to test its compatibility with a broader spectrum of devices. Hope we can get a confirmative answer by the end of next month.

Marble is born to connect external monitors, USB peripherals, and charge the device all at the same time.

Yes, we may include audio line-in port in future models.

Look forward to trying the Matebook soon I hope.

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello MichaelTan, I have the same requirements really as you. Three things really standout for the Huawei:
1) 8GB RAM, 128-512 GB SSD.
2) Huawei Dock with VGA output
3) Stylus

I don't need a super processor. M3 is enough but M5 would be great for Photoshop. RAM is utterly important... you can never have enough RAM... 16 GB would be even better. And finally I'm so glad for the review of the Wacom stylus...

The dock is absolutely critical for me. I use the laptop on my desk by connecting to a large monitor and sticking the folded laptop behind my monitor. And hence the dock with the two USB A and two USB C connectors and the VGA connector really suits me to a T. The projectors in my workplace are all VGA type. I need to connect a USB hub...

Critical question - will the dock, keyboard, stylus all be available for purchase at launch?

I've been waiting for this until neck neck long long... quickly launch leh... I will be first in line to test a display model... and just take my money... can PM if you have launch date?

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reviews indicate that battery life is only 4 hours max? And not 10 hours?

And one more very important issue - does it come with Windows 10 Pro? Or Home?

Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone also compared the Lenovo Miix 700 to the Huawei? The price includes keyboard and stylus.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I saw an ad for the MateBook in the papers today... $1788, Core m5, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, with free keyboard, stylus, dock and one other thing... pretty good price I must say! Now to wait for reviews about battery life... most overseas reviews are saying that the battery is totally crap...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.