Latest 2017 Microsoft Surface Pro (Update from SP4)

chaddeus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/devices/surface-pro/overview

So who is going to get their upgrade?

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/23/surface-pro-price-release-date-tilt-pen-alcantara/
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/23/15674198/microsoft-surface-pro-price-features-availability
https://www.cnet.com/products/microsoft-surface-pro-2017/preview/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybr...o-is-the-true-crown-jewel-of-the-surface-line

Surface Pro price starts at USD $799 while the Surface Laptop starts at USD $999 but if you compare the same processor, both i5 cost USD $999.

I am already confused which one to get for my next upgrade... I want bigger screen with a detachable keyboard

Last edited:

Dr.Vijay

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score

Chai_Latte

Reaction score
Go for laptop. It's cheaper that the pro 4 after you add on the kb for the pro 4 unless you have a very good reason for needing a detachable keyboard.

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT

I'm taking a lot of handwritten notes and scribbles recently.

I would like to keep my notebooks separate from the scribbles and thus I believe this is where the Surface Pro comes in handy.

Keeps me away from struggling with loose papers or extra notebook and I can do it easily while standing in line or in public transport.

Btw, so no pre-order for Singapore?

...and yes, considering the Galaxy Book too or anything with just enough power for multitasking browsers/single streaming vid/notes/a couple of IDE.

mudxblood

Master Member
Reaction score
Don't forget there is another contender, Samsung galaxy book.

The galaxy book thick bezels is a turn off. And the keyboard is mehh. I will skip this surface pro. Waiting for Microsoft to implement usb type c ports.

mudxblood

Master Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a lot of handwritten notes and scribbles recently.

I would like to keep my notebooks separate from the scribbles and thus I believe this is where the Surface Pro comes in handy.

Keeps me away from struggling with loose papers or extra notebook and I can do it easily while standing in line or in public transport.

Btw, so no pre-order for Singapore?

...and yes, considering the Galaxy Book too or anything with just enough power for multitasking browsers/single streaming vid/notes/a couple of IDE.

Singapore is not in the list of countries of first wave that will be getting the surface pro in mid June. Expect it sometime later

doki81

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just receive mailer from US microsoft store on this....look like the same except they claim 50% more battery life?...hahaha..gonna wait and see.

chaddeus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just receive mailer from US microsoft store on this....look like the same except they claim 50% more battery life?...hahaha..gonna wait and see.
My computer usage style changes every now and then. Last time, I need to take down notes so drawing and writing is important but now, I hardly take notes so a Surface Laptop seems to be the answer but then I dont know what happen in the future.

This confuses me... Maybe I just stick with my current Surface Pro 4 but hand itchy. Want to get the latest... hehehhe

- Charles

Chai_Latte

Reaction score
Singapore is not in the list of countries of first wave that will be getting the surface pro in mid June. Expect it sometime later

That is too bad... I am now looking at Acer Switch 5 or the new HP Spectre x360 too.

The Spectre is available now but seems 50-50 in actual users' review... will wait for Switch 5 and compare it to the new Surface Pro and see if it can be worth the wait.

The Galaxy Book's flimsy folio stand and price will put it as last choice.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it's worth getting this. Price wise appears to be the same, but my understanding is that it does not come with the pen. So it's actually more expensive. Battery life wise, I feel it's best to wait for proper reviews to determine if it has improved meaningfully. They are claiming an improvement using video playback time which is one of the key improvement on Kaby Lake. So this improvement may not be so apparent when surfing net and such.

Fallingrain

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got the brydge keyboard for my sp4. able to detach and take notes yet still able to use like normal laptop.

just something for you guys to consider for those who don't like the original keyboard

meekiatah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm done with the Surface Pro. Using SP4 now and quite like how thin the tablet is. But, on the few occasions that I needed to use it on my lap, I kinda struggle with it. I love I can detach the keyboard and use it in tablet form, but I never like on-screen keyboard. I also don't take lots of notes with the pen. So, it's either the Surface Laptop or maybe a Thinkpad for my next computer purchase.

meekiatah

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got the brydge keyboard for my sp4. able to detach and take notes yet still able to use like normal laptop.

just something for you guys to consider for those who don't like the original keyboard

I'll take a look at this. Might get it for my SP4 if it's ready to use like a laptop once attached.

Update:

Did a bit of googling and the general feedback is very good. USD150 though. Hmm..

Thanks.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.