HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Microsoft Surface

Like Tree343Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #31

Win8 is already available as a developer preview and from the reports, it is a nice piece of OS.

Google will be releasing their own 7" tablet and already has it's Nexus line of phones. That didn't seem to piss off it's partners, granted Android is free while Win8 isn't.

It is a smart move for them to release the Pro version as that effectively opens up the tablet space to desktop applications. No need to worry about having to build up an app library. It's already there!

The RT version is another story though. I not familiar enough with the Windows phone app store to comment on it.
Old 20-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #32
High Supremacy Member

the hardware looks cool but notice microsoft didn't show us much of the software

don't think the OEM manufacturers like acer, asus and lenovo are happy about this

think they will focus their attention more to android tablets and ignore win 8 tablets to kill surface

windows remain popular today because of its OEM support, trying to steal their lunch could mean suicide
Hmmm.....show more of the Windows 8 which u can already install for urself to preview?
kennyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #33

The only bad point about this preview is that there is too little information about it. You show the world how awesome your new mobile device is but you don't tell them things like battery life, price and availability.

I am chomping at the bit to know more about it but no info available.
Old 20-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #34
Arch-Supremacy Member

i am a hardcore windows xp fan

had no choice but to use windows 7 because of ie9

using windows 7 starter on netbook now

but removed all the bloatware and my setup now looks like XP

even when they release windows 8, i would still remove all the funny "live" buttons and revert to XP mode

odds are i would try to upgrade my netbook with an SSD, ram upgrade and windows 8

i can also recycle my windows 7 starter by backing it up with a 32GB thumbdrive, so no need to buy windows 8 until microsoft discontinue windows 7

if the mainboard up the lorry, i would switch to an ITX board to save electricity

don't think surface would come cheap, should cost around S$0.8 - 1K for RT and S$1.5 - 2K for Pro, my estimates

my budget remains S$500 every 3-4 years when my pc up the lorry, re-using my OS, monitor, keyboard, mouse, casing

difficult for microsoft to make my money, i have been reusing my XP for 8 years

keekeekee

Last edited by uncle168; 20-06-2012 at 10:48 AM..
uncle168 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #35

Microsoft did say that it would be priced competitively with current tablets and ultrabooks. So you're looking at $600-$800 for RT version. In fact $800 is already higher than most tablets in the market now. The estimate for the Pro is pretty good though, I think the most expensive ultrabook is the Asus Zenbook at $2K now?
Old 20-06-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
Arch-Supremacy Member

i think stingy uncle like me who buy netbook because it is the cheapest option even much cheaper than to build your own atom ITX will still continue to buy netbook

surface looks like a good idea but i think they stole it from asus transformer, asus could sue microsoft in my humble opinion

people who use laptop would prefer a more solid keyboard, likely they will stick to ultra-books than having a flimsy keyboard held by magnets

hardcore gamers will still build their own rigs with power hungry PC components, with windows 8 maybe the only difference is buying a touch screen monitor, touch what i don't know
Old 20-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #37
High Supremacy Member

I would agree with uncle's guesstimate of 800-1000 for the RT because of the added keyboard.
Old 20-06-2012, 11:46 AM   #38
High Supremacy Member

i think stingy uncle like me who buy netbook because it is the cheapest option even much cheaper than to build your own atom ITX will still continue to buy netbook

surface looks like a good idea but i think they stole it from asus transformer, asus could sue microsoft in my humble opinion

people who use laptop would prefer a more solid keyboard, likely they will stick to ultra-books than having a flimsy keyboard held by magnets

hardcore gamers will still build their own rigs with power hungry PC components, with windows 8 maybe the only difference is buying a touch screen monitor, touch what i don't know
That is a valid point.

Apple have their fanatics, who will buy anything by Apple. But decidedly less so for MS. So is there a market big enough for these very sleek but rather halfway (in the PC world) tablets?
Old 20-06-2012, 12:30 PM   #39

And yet, they manage to do that more often than most.
And they like screwing each other up too. MS 'sending' Elop.
Old 20-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #40
Master Member

Ok here's a question.

can play Marvel's:Avenger Alliance on the explorer of Microsoft Surface or not?

I bought my Transformers Prime because I can play Facebook games on the go mah ...
Old 20-06-2012, 05:53 PM   #41

Ok here's a question.

can play Marvel's:Avenger Alliance on the explorer of Microsoft Surface or not?

I bought my Transformers Prime because I can play Facebook games on the go mah ...
Its a flash game right. Think RT browser added flash support some time ago, so it should play the game just fine.

If you get Windows 8 Pro version, theres absolutely no reason to worry, you can install your favourite browser and play any games like on the current Windows (or even Mac) machine you're playing on.
LouisLoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #42
High Supremacy Member

DIY tablets could be the thing of the future

u can buy OEM windows 8 or free android from the "clouds", choose a ARM or Intel processor + mainboard bundle, battery, LCD, SSD, many colour keyboard, battery pack and casing

mobile computing is getting more powerful and using less power

keekeekee
Don't even have DIY laptop yet how to have DIY tablet ?
tt32003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #43
Arch-Supremacy Member

if i remembered correctly, there was DIY laptops 8 years ago in SLS, when it was pirated CD paradise

i think about 2-3 shops allow customer to customise the parts because a simple laptop then cost $3-5K

a few years back think got DIY servers

now laptop is so cheap, no reason to DIY plus DIY laptop although can be very powerful but is too bulky

young man never say never, next time maybe got DIY smartphone neh

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/07/m...n-impressions/

keekeekee

Last edited by uncle168; 20-06-2012 at 11:12 PM..
Old 21-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #44
Master Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zxD...eature=related

Cannot scroll down when hanged.

Cannot even go back to menu. Who dare to buy LOL?

Last edited by Hyruga; 21-06-2012 at 04:39 PM..
Hyruga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #45

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.