MS surface pro 4 in singapore?

chaddeus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A lot of sources suggest that Surface Pro 5 will be released in 2017, plus I am not too keen with the
- 4K Screen (you end up doing a >200% screen scaling anyway and it looks a bit ugly),
- Rechargeable pen (do the current pen goes dead every week?)
- Longer lasting battery (expect the device to be thicker / heavier, plus that is everyone's dream which is to have a laptop that last forever)

So I don't feel so bad that i just got a Surface Pro recently :)

- Charles

jace88

Reaction score
A lot of sources suggest that Surface Pro 5 will be released in 2017, plus I am not too keen with the
- 4K Screen (you end up doing a >200% screen scaling anyway and it looks a bit ugly),
- Longer lasting battery (expect the device to be thicker / heavier, plus that is everyone's dream which is to have a laptop that last forever)

- Charles

Pretty much. As good as the SP4 is, I didn't see many of my SP3 friends rushing out to buy one. I think it'll become like the tick-tock cycles where you just end up buying every second.

Iceman127

Reaction score

- Charles

Same here, don think there will be great difference making SP4 users envy.

All the above are just very very minor improvements which wont make much difference.
Unless its a new CPU chipset.

IMO why would anyone want a 4k Res on a 12" screen, kinda pointless, it just drain unnecessary battery and processing power. :s8:

jace88

Reaction score
Same here, don think there will be great difference making SP4 users envy.

All the above are just very very minor improvements which wont make much difference.
Unless its a new CPU chipset.

IMO why would anyone want a 4k Res on a 12" screen, kinda pointless, it just drain unnecessary battery and processing power. :s8:

I suspect it'll be a new chipset since it makes sense to refresh PCs in line with new processors/GPUs...

As for 4K on a 12" screen - I agree. Given the current setup is already high enough on the PPI scale to the point that it just causes unnecessary drain, this would best be for a "Pro" model or something where users would actually need that super high resolution screen... Besides, the few games/apps which could utilise such a resolution already struggle to run at even the current SP4's resolution (resulting in me playing most games at a much lower resolution to get decent FPS).

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Reaction score
I suspect it'll be a new chipset since it makes sense to refresh PCs in line with new processors/GPUs...

As for 4K on a 12" screen - I agree. Given the current setup is already high enough on the PPI scale to the point that it just causes unnecessary drain, this would best be for a "Pro" model or something where users would actually need that super high resolution screen... Besides, the few games/apps which could utilise such a resolution already struggle to run at even the current SP4's resolution (resulting in me playing most games at a much lower resolution to get decent FPS).

I can't even find a game I wanna play on SP4. Screen too small for proper gaming and at that angle, either my neck give way or my wrist crack.

Kjonxx

Reaction score
Anyone know what is the process like for servicing/repairing the surface pro 4? Are there any service centers in Singapore?

My pro 4 just BSOD on me and I'm unable to even boot into windows. It's just 3 months old and it's making me regret my purchase.

Furthermore, I went to challenger and they said that it will cost me $70 to repair the problem, which I find it ******** since I bought it from them in the first place.

mark_twain

Reaction score
I didn't know Challenger can repair SP4. Likely they will try to reinstall your Win10 and charge you for the waiting time.

Local sets are covered by Microsoft warranty and you can call the service centre for advice - either courier the set down, or visit the service centre AFTER calling them for appointment. You will need to register your set online though.

If it is software problem, you may want to try a full recovery before sorting out with MS service centre. Download the recovery file into a USB drive and follow the instructions provided in the MS website. Pretty easy but it just takes quite a while of downloading the file as well as reinstalling the Windows.

After doing this recovery for the first time, it gets really easy and you will probably do this a couple of times more during your ownership of your SP4. At least, you will not need to call Challenger or MS support unless it is hardware problem.

Good luck.

Anyone know what is the process like for servicing/repairing the surface pro 4? Are there any service centers in Singapore?

My pro 4 just BSOD on me and I'm unable to even boot into windows. It's just 3 months old and it's making me regret my purchase.

Furthermore, I went to challenger and they said that it will cost me $70 to repair the problem, which I find it ******** since I bought it from them in the first place.

Last edited:

Del_CtrlnoAlt

Reaction score
I didn't know Challenger can repair SP4. Likely they will try to reinstall your Win10 and charge you for the waiting time.

Local sets are covered by Microsoft warranty and you can call the service centre for advice - either courier the set down, or visit the service centre AFTER calling them for appointment. You will need to register your set online though.

If it is software problem, you may want to try a full recovery before sorting out with MS service centre. Download the recovery file into a USB drive and follow the instructions provided in the MS website. Pretty easy but it just takes quite a while of downloading the file as well as reinstalling the Windows.

After doing this recovery for the first time, it gets really easy and you will probably do this a couple of times more during your ownership of your SP4. At least, you will not need to call Challenger or MS support unless it is hardware problem.

Good luck.

yet to do that, touch wood now...

but older systems like 7 and 8 have a cd key to do reinstallation. I don't think SP4 comes with a key, so does it just remember the machine's code?

chaddeus

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No need CD code when you reinstall Windows 10. I am guessing that the Windows 10 is tied to your hardware so the next time you do a fresh install of Win10, it will verify with your hardware and you will automatically be activated.

Similar to how those Win7 or Win8 free upgrade to Win10. Once you do the proper free upgrade, you can just reinstall Win10 without even needing to use your old Win7 or 8 CD.

- Charles

mindgamey

Reaction score
Did the upgrade and as usual just flip the casing and put into my bag last night, today morning my bag felt warm and the SP4 was totally discharged.

Did they bring back the same issue again?

Yes it broke sleep again.

I haven't try on mine yet but I have new issue with groove.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.