Nvidia Shield Gaming Tablet

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For gaming it will be the same as it will use the same API, etc.
No game streaming, no front facing speaker, no stylus, no hdmi out, no stock Android, no LTE option. Same specs my foot. It's like the saying, got mustache is your father. :D

I dunno lah.....i guess if someone already bought a mipad then they are obliged to push their own choice over others. Ok lah....everybody should just buy the Mipad since you got one. :) This Shield tablet sucks balls compared to your almighty mipad.

k0g3pAn

Reaction score
No game streaming, no front facing speaker, no stylus, no hdmi out, no stock Android, no LTE option. Same specs my foot. It's like the saying, got mustache is your father. :D

I dunno lah.....i guess if someone already bought a mipad then they are obliged to push their own choice over others. Ok lah....everybody should just buy the Mipad since you got one. :) This Shield tablet sucks balls compared to your almighty mipad.

wah chill bro, not like he is pointing a gun at you to buy mipad..

i would say in terms of specs on paper, both tablets are identical, but design specs wise, shield is designed for gamers while mipad is designed for media consumptions.

Ultimately mipad is value for money for those who are on budget, but if one is willing to splurge abit, shield is a better choice for both gaming and media consumption.

Likewise, those who bought mipad (or simply any other android tablets) need not be left out of the game streaming capability, for apps like Limelight is the Gamestream for non nvidia devices...

Cheers. :s12:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For budget conscious, I think the Mipad is a good buy, though availability is very limited.

For the Shield Tablet, I think its fairly valued. For USD 299 for the base model, you can still consider expanding the storage via the SD card slot. For me, I will choose the Shield Tablet cause of the gaming centric features, and the mini HDMI out is a great feature for me. Tablets nowadays always omit this which is great for displaying shows/ games on a big screen. MHL is not the best alternative for me. Also, not all TV supports MHL connection. :o

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
wah chill bro, not like he is pointing a gun at you to buy mipad..

i would say in terms of specs on paper, both tablets are identical, but design specs wise, shield is designed for gamers while mipad is designed for media consumptions.

Ultimately mipad is value for money for those who are on budget, but if one is willing to splurge abit, shield is a better choice for both gaming and media consumption.

Likewise, those who bought mipad (or simply any other android tablets) need not be left out of the game streaming capability, for apps like Limelight is the Gamestream for non nvidia devices...

Cheers. :s12:
Like I said, different is different. Just because it uses the same SOC and that he chose to purchase the mipad doesn't suddenly make it the same.

I don't go around telling people all flagship phones from LG, Samsung, HTC all the same because they all use the same Snapdragon SOC right? It's just common sense. :D

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For budget conscious, I think the Mipad is a good buy, though availability is very limited.

For the Shield Tablet, I think its fairly valued. For USD 299 for the base model, you can still consider expanding the storage via the SD card slot. For me, I will choose the Shield Tablet cause of the gaming centric features, and the mini HDMI out is a great feature for me. Tablets nowadays always omit this which is great for displaying shows/ games on a big screen. MHL is not the best alternative for me. Also, not all TV supports MHL connection. :o
Huh? I thought MHL is basically micro usb to HDMI standard like Slimport? I could use MHL on a very old plasma that existed even before the MHL standard was on the scene.

charliesia17

Reaction score
Will they release this in sg? And if they how much would it cost? i want to buy it. But they dont do shipment here also.

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mipad on paper very good. Wait till you get one first lar... that's always the issue with Xiaomi... good also no use... can't buy... always sold out... what's the point of having a good product?

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
very tempted to get one...when i read the review the 283-ppi is kinda low for a 8 inch screen.Probably wait for next gen?
Nvidia will be releasing a 64-bit chip named Denver Tegra K1. Haha wait for this...
Nvidia details 64-bit Denver Tegra K1, claims Haswell-class performance for first 64-bit Android chip | ExtremeTech

Personally, I am not into the PPI race. With a full HD resolution on an 8 inch tablet, the image is already very clear even if you look at it very closely.

Also, do note high resolution have its drawbacks,
(1) It requires more power, means either heavier tablet or shorter battery life
(2) Graphic power wasted. I think high FPS is better than very high resolution.
(3) Not many applications actually runs on very high resolution well.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Huh? I thought MHL is basically micro usb to HDMI standard like Slimport? I could use MHL on a very old plasma that existed even before the MHL standard was on the scene.

This I am not too sure. I have been seeing MHL compatible TV and monitors of late, so it stuck me as a need to own a compatible display to use MHL. Also from my understanding, the input lag from MHL is also quite high.

I am not expert in this matter, so do correct me if I am wrong.

kennyboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This I am not too sure. I have been seeing MHL compatible TV and monitors of late, so it stuck me as a need to own a compatible display to use MHL. Also from my understanding, the input lag from MHL is also quite high.

I am not expert in this matter, so do correct me if I am wrong.
Nah. Those "compatible" MHL displays only means that the hdmi port on the tv charges the phone/tablet that's plugged in without external power supply (doesn't seem to work on tablets that require higher inputs though). Otherwise all hdmi ports will work, just that user needs to provide external power supply either via AC or usb.

Input lag is pretty low, much better than any form of wireless screen mirroring. But of course there's that hanging wire.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nah. Those "compatible" MHL displays only means that the hdmi port on the tv charges the phone/tablet that's plugged in without external power supply (doesn't seem to work on tablets that require higher inputs though). Otherwise all hdmi ports will work, just that user needs to provide external power supply either via AC or usb.

Input lag is pretty low, much better than any form of wireless screen mirroring. But of course there's that hanging wire.

I see.

I don't like to use wireless mirroring most of the time. I think its only good if you wanna screen games to the big screen.

Anyway, thanks for the info man. ;)

lorettatay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just paid deposit for it and the controller from a bro here. cant wait to collect.

kyleongwl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mipad on paper very good. Wait till you get one first lar... that's always the issue with Xiaomi... good also no use... can't buy... always sold out... what's the point of having a good product?
???
Mipad is " flooded" on Qoo10 (at least)
Like Nvidia Shield, no local warranty.

charliesia17

Reaction score
True both xiaomi mipad and nvidia tablet dont have warranty here in sg thats why its difficult.to buy

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.