HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Rooting Andriod Tablet?? Wad does it mean?

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2011, 01:51 PM   #1

Rooting Andriod Tablet?? Wad does it mean?

i have bought a 7 inches tablet.. when i go to the andriod market from the tablet, some app cannot be found.. when i access the market thru web i can see the app i wan but cannot install..

so i went on searching n found something like 'unlock the full market' which need to have root access.. can anyone tell me wad is the meaning of rooting?
Borinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #2

i have bought a 7 inches tablet.. when i go to the andriod market from the tablet, some app cannot be found.. when i access the market thru web i can see the app i wan but cannot install..

so i went on searching n found something like 'unlock the full market' which need to have root access.. can anyone tell me wad is the meaning of rooting?
Rooting is a linux term for getting administrator access, alternatively, you can download apps via things like applanet. Search on the web for it, download the .apk and use it.
lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:08 PM   #3

hi bro lightice, thanks for replying me..

ok.. so for app/games which need to pay(in the andriod market) can also be installed if i root my tablet n got the .apk file?

how do i knw if my tablet has been root?
Old 10-05-2011, 02:18 PM   #4

hi bro lightice, thanks for replying me..

ok.. so for app/games which need to pay(in the andriod market) can also be installed if i root my tablet n got the .apk file?

how do i knw if my tablet has been root?
You'd still need to pay for the apps if you're using android market.

What tablet are you using?

Usually, when rooted, superuser would be installed in your app drawer. Usually, but not always the case.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #5

Rooting = Jailbreaking?
ym901s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #6

Well, jailbreaking gets you to root file system.
But the thing is apple imposed a lot of restrictions on the device.

Whereas rooting on an android is to gain admin rights, I use it mainly to replace host file to reduce ads.

By default, you can already sideload apps without rooting. Etc.

Last edited by lightice; 10-05-2011 at 02:54 PM..
Old 10-05-2011, 02:52 PM   #7

i just bought this HeroTab online few days ago.. been playing with it and upgraded to the latest firmware..

but when i try to download skype.. cannot find it.. then read thru forums n knw abt rooting the tablet to 'enable full market access'..
Old 10-05-2011, 03:03 PM   #8

Rooting just means bypassing the 'lock' placed on your device by the manufacturer in order to change settings etc that the manufacturer never meant for you to change.

Ordinarily, you would not need to root your tablet to install apps on your device (both free and paid) if you get a device from a reputable manufacturer with all the features you need. Many users happily use their tablets/Android phones without ever needing to root.

Some apps require rooting because they make those 'unauthorised' changes to your device. Be warned though that you risk messing up your device, resulting in an unusable tablet if you do not root properly (there is a reason why the manufacturer locks down parts of your device). Folks call this 'bricking' your device because your device is worth no more than a brick when it happens. And your warranty might even be void depending on the manufacturer.

Do go ahead to root if you really need to do so; I don't mean to scare you. I just do not want you to end up with an expensive paper weight if things do go wrong (which I hope they don't).
Omnia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #9

Rooting just means bypassing the 'lock' placed on your device by the manufacturer in order to change settings etc that the manufacturer never meant for you to change.

Ordinarily, you would not need to root your tablet to install apps on your device (both free and paid) if you get a device from a reputable manufacturer with all the features you need. Many users happily use their tablets/Android phones without ever needing to root.

Some apps require rooting because they make those 'unauthorised' changes to your device. Be warned though that you risk messing up your device, resulting in an unusable tablet if you do not root properly (there is a reason why the manufacturer locks down parts of your device). Folks call this 'bricking' your device because your device is worth no more than a brick when it happens. And your warranty might even be void depending on the manufacturer.

Do go ahead to root if you really need to do so; I don't mean to scare you. I just do not want you to end up with an expensive paper weight if things do go wrong (which I hope they don't).

Agreed. A lot of people related rooting to jailbreaking, which is 2 different concept.

If u asked this question, chances are u don't need it.
dessq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #10

thanks lightice and Omnia1 for ur explaination.. hmmm so if i can get the .apk files for any app/game online provided by others i can install in in my tablet without rooting it?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #11

thanks lightice and Omnia1 for ur explaination.. hmmm so if i can get the .apk files for any app/game online provided by others i can install in in my tablet without rooting it?
yes, you certainly can (unless the app itself requires root access).

Put it another way, the purpose of rooting your tablet is not to allow you to install apps via .apk files (which is a separate matter from rooting).

The purpose of rooting is to allow you to install apps (whether via Android Mkt or .apk files) that require root access in order to work (and that's because the app wants to install stuff/make changes to your device that was not intended by the manufacturer).
Omnia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.