HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Samsung Tab Pro S

Like Tree14Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 PM   #46

I tried the TabPro S at Challenger today in Changi Point. It wasn't set up properly with the display scaling set to 100% (i.e. everything super small) but from using the stand/keyboard, it's definitely not great. It really does not feel great to type on, something about the height of each row kept throwing me off. It also doesn't stand at a great angle if you actually intend to use it for work like a laptop. As someone else mentioned, it's more tablet than laptop.

In terms of physical size, it isn't as thin/light as I was expecting- maybe I thought it would be more iPad Air than Surface but it's definitely feeling thinner than Surface.

Only thing which I really wish my Surface Pro 4 had from TabPro S is the inbuilt LTE but whether I'd pay such a premium for it... don't think so.
jace88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #47

I tried the TabPro S at Challenger today in Changi Point. It wasn't set up properly with the display scaling set to 100% (i.e. everything super small) but from using the stand/keyboard, it's definitely not great. It really does not feel great to type on, something about the height of each row kept throwing me off. It also doesn't stand at a great angle if you actually intend to use it for work like a laptop. As someone else mentioned, it's more tablet than laptop.

In terms of physical size, it isn't as thin/light as I was expecting- maybe I thought it would be more iPad Air than Surface but it's definitely feeling thinner than Surface.

Only thing which I really wish my Surface Pro 4 had from TabPro S is the inbuilt LTE but whether I'd pay such a premium for it... don't think so.
I tried and I think need to set scaling at 150% to see everything comfortably, even 120% is too small. Keyboard is actually ok for me. They have Function Key Lock so that you can use one finger to do page up, down, home and end and other adjustments.
lamtw22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #48
High Supremacy Member

Was looking at this but seem like have quite a bit of flaws. Hopefully the next version can improve much to challenge the SP.

Sent from Mars using GAGT
fortunecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #49

Was looking at this but seem like have quite a bit of flaws. Hopefully the next version can improve much to challenge the SP.

Not sure they're trying to challenge the SP. The design seems more inspired by their own Note Pro 12.2 and the Ipad Pro 12.9 tablets. I would actually have preferred to see the Tab S Pro running Android (and a pen that is available immediately!).
tspurs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #50
High Supremacy Member

Not sure they're trying to challenge the SP. The design seems more inspired by their own Note Pro 12.2 and the Ipad Pro 12.9 tablets. I would actually have preferred to see the Tab S Pro running Android (and a pen that is available immediately!).
But can only choose Windows if I want a 2 in 1. iOS and Android just cannot replace your laptop no matter what apps they have.

Old 30-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #51

But can only choose Windows if I want a 2 in 1. iOS and Android just cannot replace your laptop no matter what apps they have.

That's the thing. The shallow keyboard, lack of ports, and the inability to go beyond two fixed screen positions are killers for laptop use. IMO, the Tab Pro S (much like the Ipad Pro) cannot fully replace a laptop.

Since it cannot fully replace the laptop, may as well try to make it a great tablet. That means Android. A good compromise would have been to make it a Windows-Android dual boot device, like some China tablets.
tspurs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #52
High Supremacy Member

That's the thing. The shallow keyboard, lack of ports, and the inability to go beyond two fixed screen positions are killers for laptop use. IMO, the Tab Pro S (much like the Ipad Pro) cannot fully replace a laptop.

Since it cannot fully replace the laptop, may as well try to make it a great tablet. That means Android. A good compromise would have been to make it a Windows-Android dual boot device, like some China tablets.
Tablet wise believe they will have other models in Android ba.

This one should be squarely aimed at SP's market share, but not sure why Samsung created one that is only comparable to the lowest end SP4 in terms of specs.

Old 01-06-2016, 12:22 AM   #53

Tablet wise believe they will have other models in Android ba.

This one should be squarely aimed at SP's market share, but not sure why Samsung created one that is only comparable to the lowest end SP4 in terms of specs.

I think because core i3, i5 and i7 all need internal cooling while m processor doesn't and therefore allows for super thin design. I thought Samsung was very smart to choose the much improved 6 gen m3 and attack Microsoft SP4 based on thin-ness.
Old 01-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #54
High Supremacy Member

Hopefully Samsung will improve mich on all the flaws that are pointed out in the many reviews. Really quite interested in this.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #55

Overpriced in my opinion. Not worth $300 more than the SP4 m3 model, even taking into account the LTE functionality.

With Huawei Matebook, Asus Transformer 3, and Acer Aspire Switch Alpha S all announced and launching soon, I would wait unless you need it immediately. Competition is good and will hopefully drive prices down... even in Singapore.
SZQddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:36 PM   #56

Overpriced in my opinion. Not worth $300 more than the SP4 m3 model, even taking into account the LTE functionality.

With Huawei Matebook, Asus Transformer 3, and Acer Aspire Switch Alpha S all announced and launching soon, I would wait unless you need it immediately. Competition is good and will hopefully drive prices down... even in Singapore.
The same configuration m3 SP4 ($1399) plus keyboard ($199) is $1598. Tabpro S is $100 more at ($1698) but you get free USB-C adapter & MS Office 365 subscription (about $200 value?). More importantly, you have a punchy OLED screen, thinner body, longer battery life and very light & small power adapter that is phone-charger like, although only 1 USB-C port.
SZQddy likes this.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #57
High Supremacy Member

Why is it so ex in Singapore store? Buy online on Amazon seem cheaper by almost 25% and comparable to the cheapest SP4 without the keyboard

Old 01-06-2016, 10:55 PM   #58

The same configuration m3 SP4 ($1399) plus keyboard ($199) is $1598. Tabpro S is $100 more at ($1698) but you get free USB-C adapter & MS Office 365 subscription (about $200 value?). More importantly, you have a punchy OLED screen, thinner body, longer battery life and very light & small power adapter that is phone-charger like, although only 1 USB-C port.
Yeah, I understand some of the advantages of the TabPro S over the SP4. It is much sleeker and lighter, and OLED is nice. To counter though, the SP4 comes with the pen, has a lot more ports built-in, higher res display, kickstand, and the keyboard is much much better than the TabPro S keyboard.

All things considered I think it should be the same price. Although I think both are overpriced even at S$1399.

Don't blame MS though as they did all the research and pretty much kick started this tablet/laptop 2-in-1 and there wasn't much competition in recent years.

Things are changing now though with more options available so I would still wait if you can. I'm going to wait for the Huawei, Acer, and Asus models to be reviewed before deciding.
Old 29-06-2016, 01:50 AM   #59

Any good deals here for the TabPro S? It's received a hefty discount in the US, now only USD799 (~SGD1100)!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #60

Any good deals here for the TabPro S? It's received a hefty discount in the US, now only USD799 (~SGD1100)!

Did you check the new challenger sister company, Hatchi.Tech ... they are having a special promotion for Galaxy TabPro S which i thought is very worth it...

- $300 Cash Off when you key in the promo code "SM300"
- Free Samsung T3 Portable SSD 250GB
- Free Samsung Adapter Port

For me, i thought the freebies and the $300 cash back makes it very compelling...
metavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.