Surface Pro (5)

SpeedWeed

Master Member
Reaction score
i5/8gb works great across the board - i do acoustic simulations and it runs quite fast, unless you use it for mobile workstation for production such as photoshop/autocad/video/audio then i7 16gb makes more sense for processing power.

LTE if you're a mobile road warrior - if you use it mostly offsite without wifi.

Nowdays mobile data from phone is suffice for quick connectivity.

Wireless@sg is everywhere and cafes offer wifi too.

Sent from LGE LG-H961N using GAGT

i need to do presentations sometimes at client place so wifi is not always at option.

i wonder how much is the price difference for LTE :s12:

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i need to do presentations sometimes at client place so wifi is not always at option.

i wonder how much is the price difference for LTE

:s12:

Why don't just use mobile Hotspot
:s11:

I really wish they release a i5 16gb ram model
:o

mystril

Reaction score
No issues with M3. Mostly chrome, Spotify and Microsoft office.

Sometimes indie games or PS4 remote. Its a great laptop replacement.

Photoshop also can. Don't expect video editing to run smoothly.

Its the kind of laptop best for work, Starbucks, read books and etc. I enjoyed it.

I don't hoard data. I delete movies I watched. Why keep it? We're not going to watch it again most likely. Photos can put on Google cloud or other providers.

Battery life 7-8 at mid brightness.

jk_eugenetay

Reaction score
Thank you very much. Was expecting about this amount of run time. Looking at smth to replace my x250 actually. Haha.

No issues with M3. Mostly chrome, Spotify and Microsoft office.

Sometimes indie games or PS4 remote. Its a great laptop replacement.

Photoshop also can. Don't expect video editing to run smoothly.

Its the kind of laptop best for work, Starbucks, read books and etc. I enjoyed it.

I don't hoard data. I delete movies I watched. Why keep it? We're not going to watch it again most likely. Photos can put on Google cloud or other providers.

Battery life 7-8 at mid brightness.

nicholaslee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dilemma donno want get this (Edu SG price w/warranty) or surface laptop (Amazon USA w/no warranty)
:o

Both quite similar priced after adding the keyboard for pro..

vivalarave

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Surface more mobility, laptop for screen estate.

Tbh surface is powerful enough to take on most conventional laptop.

The added for surface benefit is that its light and easy to do ad hoc discussions, on the go computing.

Add in a usb hub, dp to hdmi adapter, 24" monitor and a mouse and keyboard.. It's as good as a desktop

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
Good review bro.

Is the laptop upgradeable in any way eg. Can add memory?

Surface more mobility, laptop for screen estate.

Tbh surface is powerful enough to take on most conventional laptop.

The added for surface benefit is that its light and easy to do ad hoc discussions, on the go computing.

Add in a usb hub, dp to hdmi adapter, 24" monitor and a mouse and keyboard.. It's as good as a desktop

Cashew_Nut

Reaction score
Thanks!

Guess it till have a life of around 5 years before it goes out of date. Then again I've had my Macbook for 8 years and it's fine for what I do. Time for me to buy the SP.

Worth waiting for discount? Suspect new model next year with latest processors.

All soldered surface mounted on for compactness.

There is no screw to even take it apart and the components are tiny.

3/4 of a surface is the battery.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Microsoft+Surface+Pro+5+Teardown/92362

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

Guess it till have a life of around 5 years before it goes out of date. Then again I've had my Macbook for 8 years and it's fine for what I do. Time for me to buy the SP.

Worth waiting for discount? Suspect new model next year with latest processors.

Will have new ones every year.

lambofmagic

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone here got experience cancelling orders for their SP from Microsoft Online Store? I placed an order this afternoon... they charged my debit card liao, now status is processing... afternoon that time still got the cancel button, now cancel button gone liaos... then i realise i got another dealer can get for me roughly 100+$ cheaper... am i screwed? T_T

noyunet

Reaction score
Any current promo/freebie for surface pro? At cef fair or harvey norman, challenger or online? Looking to get i7 8gb.

Saw previously got free signature keyboard, now still got? Tried searching online, can't find any good valid offers..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.