HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Tablet that is suitable for reading ebooks?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-01-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
High Supremacy Member

Tablet that is suitable for reading ebooks?

Can recommend?

Quite tired, sianz with my current Kindle, slow to flip, or to search for a specific page.

Need something 6", light, cheap, haha
chengsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

There isn't anything in the 6" space which is basically a tablet and light. They're all huge phones and pretty heavy compared to a Kindle. If you're still looking... try the Lenovo Phab... pretty expensive... $300+. You need high resolution and light weight... quite difficult to find...
Teo Ming Ern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
Master Member

there are phone..
Xaiomi Mi Max
Lenovo Phab
Sony Xperia Z (yes..the grandfather of > 6")

Tablet
Amazon Fire
Xperia Z3 tablet compact (light weight)
kyleongwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

The phones are much heavier than the Kindle. And the tablets are much larger than the Kindle?
Old 29-01-2017, 12:18 AM   #5

Personally if for reading & nothing else, E-ink like kindle or such is still better fr the eyes at long stretch.
forests_gump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
Supremacy Member

Agree... anyway the newer Kindles should be faster lar...
Old 12-02-2017, 03:28 AM   #7

Can recommend?

Quite tired, sianz with my current Kindle, slow to flip, or to search for a specific page.

Need something 6", light, cheap, haha
the new kindles are faster im using the voyage
not as laggy as old ones
RocketBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 05:46 PM   #8

Sorry may I interrupt. Where to download the books for kindle. I got the books downloaded when I first purchased from the vendors. After that, no more source to download books. I thought I can sign up for the unlimited from Amazon, but was denied.
shin01chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
Arch-Supremacy Member

If you need 6 inch, get Xiaomi Mi Max. I think it is a very powerful phone for its price and can easily be used as a tablet.

However, one of the benefit with E-book readers is the e-ink screen. Having used it for awhile, I do feel that it is much better than reading on a phone or tablet.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 01:35 PM   #10

If you need 6 inch, get Xiaomi Mi Max. I think it is a very powerful phone for its price and can easily be used as a tablet.

However, one of the benefit with E-book readers is the e-ink screen. Having used it for awhile, I do feel that it is much better than reading on a phone or tablet.

Hey, watzup_ken... can you share your experience of e-ink screen ebook. How much is the difference/where is the difference? What screen size is ideal?
Old 22-02-2017, 09:05 PM   #11
Arch-Supremacy Member

The screen is the selling point. However, it's a love hate relationship for me. Text displayed on E-ink screens look like someone just wrote it on the screen. It's got no glare, so you don't feel so tired after reading for some time. However, most e-reader only display black and white, so it's mainly for reading text. Also, they are also very slow, which fortunately is still bearable just for reading and for fantastic battery life. One charge could last you for weeks, depending on how heavy you use it. Most if not all ebooks are 7 inch, based on my observation.
watzup_ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #12

The screen is the selling point. However, it's a love hate relationship for me. Text displayed on E-ink screens look like someone just wrote it on the screen. It's got no glare, so you don't feel so tired after reading for some time. However, most e-reader only display black and white, so it's mainly for reading text. Also, they are also very slow, which fortunately is still bearable just for reading and for fantastic battery life. One charge could last you for weeks, depending on how heavy you use it. Most if not all ebooks are 7 inch, based on my observation.
Hey, thks.

Do you happen to use recent e-reader?

I read newer kindle's cost more, comes with higher screen resolution known as Kindle Paper White 3, some even backlighted. Do you think i should be bothered-with or just older version is good enough?
Old 01-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #13

I have the Kindle Paperwhite 2 for epub, and a Samsung Tab S2 8" for anything else.

I read via the kindle before I sleep, reduce glare and all. Mainly no pictures books, novels and non fiction. Battery lasts forever.

The Tab s2 is for PDFs, my online newspapers subsections, pocket and flip board. It functions as a video player as well.

IMO, for me I don't need a catch all device. The kindle is so light and sturdy, I tend to bring it around. Ymmv
b0h3mian_summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 01:30 AM   #14

I have 3 Kindle. E ink screen got no glare, so comfortable to read.
Battery life measure in weeks.Power is consumed only when page is turn. This allows me to fall asleep while reading. Then continue next morning when I wake up.
I only use tablet to read magazine which contains color photos or pictures.
I had use galaxy tab 10, tab S & tab active. But none of them offer a better experience.

Last edited by rookie121; 05-03-2017 at 06:29 PM..
rookie121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 12:01 AM   #15

Hello, I am looking to get an ebook reader. Would like to find out which ereader would be suitable for me.

I am using to reading on my bed using my handphone without any lights on(on night mode, black screen with white words). My books are using in txt format. It would be the better if it is waterproof.

I was researching online and there are quite a few website which says that Kobo Aura is quite good, anyone use it before?
suffuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.