HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Tablet for university student

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2015, 09:26 PM   #16
Arch-Supremacy Member

Pmed u! yeah i wont get ipad. the things that it can do is too limited and the price for it is atrocious.
Replied! iPads have their advantages though (e.g. some games work better on iPads somehow compared to Android due to the fragmentation I guess), but just not for your situation
darkarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:31 PM   #17

Honestly i would consider a Surface RT if my budget is below $250. Taking it mainly for note taking, documents editing, web surfing and long battery life. Skipping the need for installing 3rd party programs like Adobe Photoshop Full suite etc. Windows Store has Adobe Photoshop Express for basic rendering and editing etc.

But if i have a bit more budget up to $300-$350 i would go for a 2-in-1 convertible laptops. It fits the bill plus if i only need to read notes than tablet mode or bring half of the device out. The weight proportion some users might worry isn't that much of a consider for me though. Because it is built into multiple modes and it isn't that bad, thus some detectable keyboard has the ability to add on harddisk for addition storage space, that is addition weight too. Good part, it has better balance, bad part its heavier but if you dun need the keyboard, pop it off and its light again. ^^

2-in-1 has a full Windows OS that delivers more. i would really go for it if i can Sitex is near, most of all these 2-in-1 will be down by $50 with additional freebies so next weekends, you know where you will be. lol
Steve2stv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #18

oh. what do you mean by active technology? i think those 2 will be over my budget unless i get the display set/old old set courts clearing.

link: http://www.courts.com.sg/buy-tablets-online-1902.html
s8: http://www.courts.com.sg/samsung-8in...p072701-m.html
s10: http://www.courts.com.sg/samsung-10-...p078217-m.html
The tablets with stylus that have active technology are much better for handwriting notes than normal tablets like Ipad Air. They have palm rejection built in. Examples: Note 8, Note 10.1, Note 5 phablet, Surface 3, Surface Pro 4, Ipad Pro.

IMO these kind of tablets can replace pen and paper.

Nonetheless it is not worth buying Note 10.1 or Note 8 brand new. These models are 2 years and 3 years old respectively. I would not even buy Note 8 second hand, as the battery is probably not going to hold much of a charge.
tspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #19

Honestly i would consider a Surface RT if my budget is below $250. Taking it mainly for note taking, documents editing, web surfing and long battery life. Skipping the need for installing 3rd party programs like Adobe Photoshop Full suite etc. Windows Store has Adobe Photoshop Express for basic rendering and editing etc.

But if i have a bit more budget up to $300-$350 i would go for a 2-in-1 convertible laptops. It fits the bill plus if i only need to read notes than tablet mode or bring half of the device out. The weight proportion some users might worry isn't that much of a consider for me though. Because it is built into multiple modes and it isn't that bad, thus some detectable keyboard has the ability to add on harddisk for addition storage space, that is addition weight too. Good part, it has better balance, bad part its heavier but if you dun need the keyboard, pop it off and its light again. ^^

2-in-1 has a full Windows OS that delivers more. i would really go for it if i can Sitex is near, most of all these 2-in-1 will be down by $50 with additional freebies so next weekends, you know where you will be. lol
i went to challenger but dont seem to see any of the older version other than surface 3 or surface 3 pro sia. i will consider that for sure

what are some good models for budget around that price ah? other than the 2 models someone told introed. weight is an issue for me coz my bag is usually quite full. i find it hard to stuff my msi laptop also.

ok! thanks! guess ill take a lot of brochures and think really hard
Old 23-11-2015, 10:54 PM   #20
Supremacy Member

i went to challenger but dont seem to see any of the older version other than surface 3 or surface 3 pro sia. i will consider that for sure

what are some good models for budget around that price ah? other than the 2 models someone told introed. weight is an issue for me coz my bag is usually quite full. i find it hard to stuff my msi laptop also.

Once you get surface you don't need msi laptop. If you don't game much, sell your msi laptop.
GotBetrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 10:55 PM   #21

The tablets with stylus that have active technology are much better for handwriting notes than normal tablets like Ipad Air. They have palm rejection built in. Examples: Note 8, Note 10.1, Note 5 phablet, Surface 3, Surface Pro 4, Ipad Pro.

IMO these kind of tablets can replace pen and paper.

Nonetheless it is not worth buying Note 10.1 or Note 8 brand new. These models are 2 years and 3 years old respectively. I would not even buy Note 8 second hand, as the battery is probably not going to hold much of a charge.
wa... but other than the note 10.1 and note 8, the rest like too costly for me alrd. is there a budget option for palm rejection tech?

oh. got it. i shall cancel the 2 off my list. THX!
Old 23-11-2015, 11:32 PM   #22

as mentioned earlier, 2-in-1 devices are top heavy, and only suitable for use on stable flat surface

e.g. a surface type device is light, but needs "space" for the kickstand; if you are using it at lecture theatre with those small foldout table, may not have space to rest the kickstand

as for weight, i googled your msi laptop; that one is 15.6-inch monster

there are budget laptops around 1kg weight, asus x205ta, lenovo ideapad 100s, hp stream 13
Old 24-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #23

Been there done that.. End of day paper and pen best. Don't risk your grades testing out new technology.
flee0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:36 AM   #24

Smile

wa... but other than the note 10.1 and note 8, the rest like too costly for me alrd. is there a budget option for palm rejection tech?

oh. got it. i shall cancel the 2 off my list. THX!
Budget ah....

Hunt around for good second hand deals for Note 10.1 (or its bigger cousin Note Pro 12.2). IMO these two are still quite serviceable.

A risky option is to get the Asus T100 Chi 2-in-1. It is supposed to have active stylus support as well, but I have never seen the stylus in use. I did not like the cramped keyboard.

Another risky option is to get a China tablet like the "Cube i7 Stylus" http://www.cube-tablet.com/cube-i7-s...gb-tablet.html

IMO the best option is to get a university interest free computer loan and buy the most suitable machine, price be damned!
tspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:53 AM   #25

The brochures can grab via online first. Just offset another $30 or so if you going to grab last min deals but might be out of stocks. (initial stated prices are usually lower than retails by some margins already) Sometimes no additional last min cost down they add freebies.

Surface RT retail not selling, you can buy 2nd hand from forum or carousell etc. Many people selling away because they thought of using it to replace a traditional desktop or laptop but getting a RT, a user must understand what they really want and getting.

But like if you have the budget, a 2-in-1 laptop would be better. Some models like Dell Inspiron 11, HP Pavillion X2 & Asus Transformer T100 are not bad. Acer Switch 10 can be your last resort. They are all quite like weight, 10" only too.

But these laptop are not meant for heavy gaming and such which your MSI does. So they, they each serve their own purposes
Old 24-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #26
Great Supremacy Member

wouldn't it be better to get surface 3 rather than RT?
RyuShinEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #27

wouldn't it be better to get surface 3 rather than RT?
Depends on a person's budget and usage i guess.
For me sure a Surface 3 is better than RT. The capabilities is wider.
But if one just wanna do basic stuffs and with limited budget, RT fits the bill i believe. No need to breaks the bank.
Old 24-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #28

update:

today i just went to challenger to have a look at those models introed to me

1. asus transformer t100 *heavy if add charger, mouse n stuff*
2. lenovo ideapad 100s *heavy if add charger, mouse n stuff*
3. hp stream 13 *heavy if add charger, mouse n stuff*
4. microsoft surface 3 $750+ with the tablet only, worth it? or wait till got discount?
5. microsoft surface 4 *no budget for this*
6. galaxy tab a 8.0 & 9.7 *$400 and $500 for the wifi version. worth it?*
7. asus zenpad 7.0 *laggy*

Xiaomi Mi Pad 2
8. new xiaomi pad 2 *si beh cheap*

i think most of them can be used to do some light editing of pdf files/microsoft suites and good for revision but which is the better options? xiaomi pad 2 seems to be the best value for $.

Last edited by D-Aced; 24-11-2015 at 11:27 PM..
D-Aced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 01:35 AM   #29

User of Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 here. Took this device daily with me for classes in the last semester. My profs typically upload readings in pdf... I just read off my tablet and annotate with the S pen. Shaves off the loads of paper to print and thick stacks of paper I'd otherwise need to deal with (I'm from a very reading intensive major of study).

Having a stylus with good palm rejection is the way to go. A good app like Papyrus/Squid goes a long way with all kinds of highlighting and scribblings like you can do on pen and paper and organising all those PDFs. Tried to do something similar before on an iPad, didn't like it - the entire user experience of writing on your notes is just different when you can rest your entire palm on the screen as you write.

Can consider if you have a mid range budget. There's the 8 inch model if you find 9.7 inches too unwieldy. Downside is the 1024x768 resolution, which is a major step down if you're used to retina display and above kind of pixel density. But then again you won't hold a tablet as close to your face as you would your phone, so it's not too bad an experience.
twasken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 02:26 AM   #30
Supremacy Member

Wait surface 3 discount if you are not in a hurry. Usually got free type cover bundle
GotBetrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.