Tablet for university student

Like Tree3Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

Tablet for university student

Hi there,

I will be using the tablet mainly to read lecture slides and take notes during lecture.

I have done some research and short-listed a few...

Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 AnyPen [windows 8]
Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 [android]
Asus Zenpad s 8.0 *stylus*
Lenovo Tab 2 A10 *heavy*
ASUS Memo Pad 7 ME572 *lag*
Galaxy Note 8 inch *stylus*
Samsung Note 10.1 *stylus*

May I know which of the following are most value for money?

Thank you very much!
D-Aced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
Supremacy Member

Surface pro 4, you will no longer require a laptop
ashhong likes this.
GotBetrayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #3

Surface pro 4, you will no longer require a laptop
0 income leh si beh sian... no $ for that.
Old 22-11-2015, 11:00 PM   #4
Supremacy Member

Then get a laptop or microsoft surface. Since you are in university, you will need to do assignment? Android very difficult to do assignment if you need to do referencing etc...
htngwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 11:01 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

Try stretch your budget abit more. I'm a former ipad air user. The surface is on a diff level vs conventional tablets..get surface 3 la. Student price is 808 for 128 gb version. Can buy 128 gb sd card for it too
Old 22-11-2015, 11:41 PM   #6

Then get a laptop or microsoft surface. Since you are in university, you will need to do assignment? Android very difficult to do assignment if you need to do referencing etc...
coz i alrd got a laptop but its quite bulky. msi ghost pro. im thinking of getting a tablet to stay back in sch to study / note taking. ah thats a really good point. i never own a tablet before. good tips!

Try stretch your budget abit more. I'm a former ipad air user. The surface is on a diff level vs conventional tablets..get surface 3 la. Student price is 808 for 128 gb version. Can buy 128 gb sd card for it too
you mean this? http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.316676200 btw whats so good about windows 8 tablet ah? i see positive reviews everywhere abt it. but its too exp. with kb n pen price in, its $1k alrd

Last edited by D-Aced; 22-11-2015 at 11:50 PM..
Old 23-11-2015, 12:22 AM   #7
Great Supremacy Member

go to challenger and try out surface first. won't regret it.
ashhong likes this.
RyuShinEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 03:12 AM   #8
Clone Trooper

I agree if you have budget that go for Surface or those lightweight ultrabook / convertible laptops.

But for simple lecture notes read and note taking without much budget i guess a convertible laptop might do you better or the cheaper Surface series (Surface RT) but have to do away with installing 3rd programs - just fully from Windows Store. But most app would be good for daily use as a student or office person. Since there's a lot that via browser or web you can use without installing. Another plus is the long battery life. Cost: $200++

Convertible (2-in-1) such as HP Inspiron 13, Asus Transformer, Acer Switch 10 etc.. they will fit in between laptop and tablet (can detact). Work like a laptop for document etc no problem as long as you don't need powerhouse processor for gaming. Budget can range from $300 - $500.

But Lenovo Yoga series i really don't recommend. They look sleek & nice but a lot of issues after buying. I would suggest taking Asus or Dell or HP though. Acer doesn't have global warranty coverage like the rest. Hee.. just sharing my thoughts.
paperger85 likes this.
Steve2stv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
Supremacy Member

coz i alrd got a laptop but its quite bulky. msi ghost pro. im thinking of getting a tablet to stay back in sch to study / note taking. ah thats a really good point. i never own a tablet before. good tips!

you mean this? http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...ctID.316676200 btw whats so good about windows 8 tablet ah? i see positive reviews everywhere abt it. but its too exp. with kb n pen price in, its $1k alrd
Wait for discount. Sometimes they throw in keyboard and pen 1. Wait for it. Its a windows 10 tablet. I use the gigabyte's light 15.6 inch gaming laptop too. Msi's counterpart. Surface is way more convenient for sch
Old 23-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #10

suggest normal laptop, and not 2-in-1 convertible tablets

reason:
- taking notes require proper keyboard; typing on tablet screen is going to be tricky
- also, 2-in-1 convertible tablets are top heavy in laptop mode; will be tricky to use when in lecture theatre on those flimsy folding table-top

there are some low-end laptops to consider, for light usage [i.e. if you are not running heavy applications, e.g. photoshop or video-editing software]

e.g. hp stream 13, lenovo ideapad 100s, etc.

all around S$299; suggest to also look for one with matte screen; reflections from overhead lights often make it difficult to use glossy screens

try keyboard at physical shops before buying; some keyboards are quite shallow; also, some are missing critical keys like dedicated page up/page down keys
Old 23-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #11
High Supremacy Member

Consider Dell Inspiron 11 3158 2-in-1 convertible tablet with Core i3 during upcoming SITEX 2015
MoneyFace =p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 06:52 PM   #12

Hi there,

I will be using the tablet mainly to read lecture slides and take notes during lecture.

I have done some research and short-listed a few...

Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 AnyPen [windows 8]
Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 [android]
Asus Zenpad s 8.0 *stylus*
Lenovo Tab 2 A10 *heavy*
ASUS Memo Pad 7 ME572 *lag*
Galaxy Note 8 inch *stylus*
Samsung Note 10.1 *stylus*

May I know which of the following are most value for money?

Thank you very much!
Only the two Samsung's on your list have active technology for the stylus, and only the Note 10.1 is big enough for stylus note-taking on PDF documents. It is no fun scribbling on an 8 inch tablet. The Note 10.1 2014 edition is a fine product, and you can install Microsoft Office for Android free of charge.

I would join the rest and suggest the Surface 3 or Surface Pro 1/2/3/4 if your budget allows.
tspurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #13
Supremacy Member

Surface 3 also not bad

Sent from OnePlus 2 using GAGT
Audiology93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #14
Supremacy Member

As a NUS student using an iPad Air, I will join the rest too and suggest that you get a device that has a proper desktop OS (i.e. Surface Pro or even a $200-$500 notebook)

I have tried using only the iPad Air to do my work and the results are not very good; iOS (and by extension Android) is simply not ready to be as work-friendly as desktop OSes yet (even though iPad Pro is trying to bridge the gap). I barely survived cos' I used Teamviewer to connect to my laptop (cannot carry it to school due to back issues, it is at 4kg) at home to do my work, which also has its problems (e.g. if home network down, cannot do work at all, tablet resolution too small to properly use)

In fact, considering my experiences with various ways of note-taking, I will even suggest that you stick with pen-and-paper. Sure, it is not the most environmentally friendly option, but it is still the fastest option and flexible option. Fastest cos no need to worry about the app crashing e.t.c., flexible cos note-taking for some modules means drawing diagrams too. Also, no other apps or programs mean you won't be that distracted lol (of course, self-discipline quite important too but that's another story for another day)

tl;dr: Stick with pen-and-paper until you save enough money for a proper solution (i.e. notebook or Surface), then go for it.

Will be good to also tell us which university, which faculty you from and when you matriculating e.t.c. to better advice since different faculty = different needs (e.g. if you from Communications and New Media or Computing, really need strong computer cos need to process data or photos during projects; if FASS then got a bit more leeway)* and if not matriculating now, may have more options if can wait.

*Paiseh if you not from NUS, I not very sure about how other universities name the faculties so I using what I know first

Last edited by darkarn; 23-11-2015 at 07:35 PM..
darkarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #15

I agree if you have budget that go for Surface or those lightweight ultrabook / convertible laptops.

ok i shall consider getting a laptop. THX!

But for simple lecture notes read and note taking without much budget i guess a convertible laptop might do you better or the cheaper Surface series (Surface RT) but have to do away with installing 3rd programs - just fully from Windows Store. But most app would be good for daily use as a student or office person. Since there's a lot that via browser or web you can use without installing. Another plus is the long battery life. Cost: $200++

ah. thanks for the information! seems like every1 is recommending a surface.

Convertible (2-in-1) such as HP Inspiron 13, Asus Transformer, Acer Switch 10 etc.. they will fit in between laptop and tablet (can detact). Work like a laptop for document etc no problem as long as you don't need powerhouse processor for gaming. Budget can range from $300 - $500.

if my budget is tight, is it better to get tablet / 2-in-1 / laptop? seems like the prices r quite near to each other for the budget options.

But Lenovo Yoga series i really don't recommend. They look sleek & nice but a lot of issues after buying. I would suggest taking Asus or Dell or HP though. Acer doesn't have global warranty coverage like the rest. Hee.. just sharing my thoughts.
noted. thanks for telling. shall avoid lenovo yoga. heard its pretty bad too.

suggest normal laptop, and not 2-in-1 convertible tablets

reason:
- taking notes require proper keyboard; typing on tablet screen is going to be tricky
- also, 2-in-1 convertible tablets are top heavy in laptop mode; will be tricky to use when in lecture theatre on those flimsy folding table-top

there are some low-end laptops to consider, for light usage [i.e. if you are not running heavy applications, e.g. photoshop or video-editing software]

e.g. hp stream 13, lenovo ideapad 100s, etc.

all around S$299; suggest to also look for one with matte screen; reflections from overhead lights often make it difficult to use glossy screens

try keyboard at physical shops before buying; some keyboards are quite shallow; also, some are missing critical keys like dedicated page up/page down keys
but i alrd got a msi ghost pro. would it be worth the money to get another budget laptop? i hate carrying my msi around becoz its quite bulky.

Consider Dell Inspiron 11 3158 2-in-1 convertible tablet with Core i3 during upcoming SITEX 2015
noted! thanks!

Only the two Samsung's on your list have active technology for the stylus, and only the Note 10.1 is big enough for stylus note-taking on PDF documents. It is no fun scribbling on an 8 inch tablet. The Note 10.1 2014 edition is a fine product, and you can install Microsoft Office for Android free of charge.

I would join the rest and suggest the Surface 3 or Surface Pro 1/2/3/4 if your budget allows.
oh. what do you mean by active technology? i think those 2 will be over my budget unless i get the display set/old old set courts clearing.

link: http://www.courts.com.sg/buy-tablets-online-1902.html
s8: http://www.courts.com.sg/samsung-8in...p072701-m.html
s10: http://www.courts.com.sg/samsung-10-...p078217-m.html

As a NUS student using an iPad Air, I will join the rest too and suggest that you get a device that has a proper desktop OS (i.e. Surface Pro or even a $200-$500 notebook)

I have tried using only the iPad Air to do my work and the results are not very good; iOS (and by extension Android) is simply not ready to be as work-friendly as desktop OSes yet (even though iPad Pro is trying to bridge the gap). I barely survived cos' I used Teamviewer to connect to my laptop (cannot carry it to school due to back issues, it is at 4kg) at home to do my work, which also has its problems (e.g. if home network down, cannot do work at all, tablet resolution too small to properly use)

In fact, considering my experiences with various ways of note-taking, I will even suggest that you stick with pen-and-paper. Sure, it is not the most environmentally friendly option, but it is still the fastest option and flexible option. Fastest cos no need to worry about the app crashing e.t.c., flexible cos note-taking for some modules means drawing diagrams too. Also, no other apps or programs mean you won't be that distracted lol (of course, self-discipline quite important too but that's another story for another day)

tl;dr: Stick with pen-and-paper until you save enough money for a proper solution (i.e. notebook or Surface), then go for it.

Will be good to also tell us which university, which faculty you from and when you matriculating e.t.c. to better advice since different faculty = different needs (e.g. if you from Communications and New Media or Computing, really need strong computer cos need to process data or photos during projects; if FASS then got a bit more leeway)* and if not matriculating now, may have more options if can wait.

*Paiseh if you not from NUS, I not very sure about how other universities name the faculties so I using what I know first
Pmed u! yeah i wont get ipad. the things that it can do is too limited and the price for it is atrocious.

Last edited by D-Aced; 23-11-2015 at 09:02 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.