HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone rode around taiwan before?

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2017, 05:17 PM   #1

Anyone rode around taiwan before?

planning a taipei - yilan (and if possible taitung) trip on a motorcycle in late June for 5 to 7 days

My plan is to start and end in Taipei. Drop by the taroko gorge camp around that area. If time permits maybe I'll visit taitung.

After some googling bike farm seems to be a good place to rent (pick up in Taipei, unlike others in Keelung/hualien). But the 2000nt for four days plus a 7000nt deposit is holding me back. Anyone has any experience with them?

Anyone has any other experience or advise to share?

Budget for trip: $1000
Riding exp: 3 years in SSDC, 1 year on the road
Old 18-05-2017, 05:44 PM   #2
High Supremacy Member

Diphilus should be able to help.
Anyway, you can ride to yilan and hualien.
But doubt as far as taitung as going there will be like end of third day.
calkel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:20 PM   #3

Diphilus should be able to help.
Anyway, you can ride to yilan and hualien.
But doubt as far as taitung as going there will be like end of third day.
Diphilus knows a contact that rents bike?

I rmb you helping me out when I started a thread on tw trip two years back
Old 20-05-2017, 02:18 AM   #4

Are you looking at renting a big bike or small scooter? Small scooters (100-120cc) are available in many places.

I've rented scooters (NT300-350 per day) in Kaohsiung (rental shops near train station) and Kenting(shop near Heng Chun bus station), and I've seen scooter rental shops near the Tainan Train station too. All you need is a valid motorbike licence and a international driving permit. I've never rented in Taipei, but the situation should be similar. Just google for 台北租机车.

Big bikes are a different story. Apparently, Taiwan does not provide insurance for large bikes, so very few people rent or even ride one. I'm actually thinking of doing a 2-3 week round Taiwan ride on a biggish bike, maybe a 600cc, but have not gotten round to planning it yet.

BTW, are you familiar with Taiwan traffic? It can be fairly chaotic in the cities, and scooters are not allowed on the expressways and some major roads, and even big bikes are not allowed on the National highways (flower logo).

Last edited by butterbarter; 20-05-2017 at 02:25 AM..
butterbarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 04:16 AM   #5
Arch-Supremacy Member

I rented with bike farm. The deposit can be given in any currency. He will return your deposit. He don't need to see your license.

Btw, don't camp at Taroko Gorge. It's errie. Camp at Shitiping. It's halfway between Hualien and Taitung. Gorgeous place.

Last edited by dilphinus; 20-05-2017 at 04:21 AM..
dilphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 09:46 AM   #6

Are you looking at renting a big bike or small scooter? Small scooters (100-120cc) are available in many places.

I've rented scooters (NT300-350 per day) in Kaohsiung (rental shops near train station) and Kenting(shop near Heng Chun bus station), and I've seen scooter rental shops near the Tainan Train station too. All you need is a valid motorbike licence and a international driving permit. I've never rented in Taipei, but the situation should be similar. Just google for 台北租机车.

Big bikes are a different story. Apparently, Taiwan does not provide insurance for large bikes, so very few people rent or even ride one. I'm actually thinking of doing a 2-3 week round Taiwan ride on a biggish bike, maybe a 600cc, but have not gotten round to planning it yet.

BTW, are you familiar with Taiwan traffic? It can be fairly chaotic in the cities, and scooters are not allowed on the expressways and some major roads, and even big bikes are not allowed on the National highways (flower logo).
I'm thinking of renting a motorcycle for the horse power. I scared scooter don't have the power ride up any hills. But most of the bike rentals I googled only have 125cc motorcycles. I'm only a 2b rider so I prolly won't go for big bikes, prolly 400cc max.

I don't have any riding exp in Taiwan, but most of the time I would be riding outside the city so I guess it shouldn't be a prob for me.

As for highways, I'll be taking the routes that allows motorcycles so yeah it should be fine.
Old 23-05-2017, 10:50 AM   #7
Arch-Supremacy Member

I'm thinking of renting a motorcycle for the horse power. I scared scooter don't have the power ride up any hills. But most of the bike rentals I googled only have 125cc motorcycles. I'm only a 2b rider so I prolly won't go for big bikes, prolly 400cc max.

I don't have any riding exp in Taiwan, but most of the time I would be riding outside the city so I guess it shouldn't be a prob for me.

As for highways, I'll be taking the routes that allows motorcycles so yeah it should be fine.
there is no highways tat allow bike to travel.
any 125 bike can climb up the mountain.
anyway u oso cannot rent any bike more than 125. the shop required TW license(unless they under table rent to u)

scooter n bike r 2 diff thingy. scooter dun need license. Bike need license
not all places would rent bike to foreigner unless u have a tw resident permit(ARC)
Old 26-05-2017, 02:01 AM   #8

You mean ride 2B bike but actually have a class 2a/2 licence? You will need to produce your valid licence and an international driving permit. Some shops don't ask for it, but I've rented scooters in Heng Chun and Kaohsiung, and both times, they asked for my licence. People without licences rent electric bikes instead.

A 125cc scooter is enough to go up mountain roads as long as you don't have a pillion rider. With a pillion, it will probably still go up but slowly. I've ridden 115-125cc scooters up mountain roads in Thailand before. I even rode a 205cc tuk-tuk up to Nuwara Eliyah (slowly) in Sri Lanka. A tuk tuk is almost 3 times the weight of a scooter. No problem. There's guy (Wan Lee) who rode a 50cc scooter across US, including up and across the Rocky Mountains. So, again, a 125cc would be a breeze.

Take note that in Taiwan, traffic drives on the right, and that scooters cannot turn left on the leftmost lane. It will be apparent from the road-signs once you start riding.

Old 26-05-2017, 02:08 AM   #9

Red plate bikes (I think they are called class A or plate A bikes, more than 550cc) are allowed on Provincial Highways indicated by a red logo, but NOT on the National Highways (flower logo).

Yellow plate bikes (250-550cc) are allowed on the smaller highways, but it's not really clear to me which ones. So either get a bike above 550cc or just ride a scooter.

For all the above, there may be some exceptions depending on which part of Taiwan. A bit confusing, but I think you are better off riding on the smaller roads anyway. More scenic and less traffic.

there is no highways tat allow bike to travel.
any 125 bike can climb up the mountain.
anyway u oso cannot rent any bike more than 125. the shop required TW license(unless they under table rent to u)

scooter n bike r 2 diff thingy. scooter dun need license. Bike need license
not all places would rent bike to foreigner unless u have a tw resident permit(ARC)
Old 26-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #10

Red plate bikes (I think they are called class A or plate A bikes, more than 550cc) are allowed on Provincial Highways indicated by a red logo, but NOT on the National Highways (flower logo).

Yellow plate bikes (250-550cc) are allowed on the smaller highways, but it's not really clear to me which ones. So either get a bike above 550cc or just ride a scooter.

For all the above, there may be some exceptions depending on which part of Taiwan. A bit confusing, but I think you are better off riding on the smaller roads anyway. More scenic and less traffic.
Thanks for sharing. I don't think Ill be riding a big ride in Taiwan as the tight city traffic and the turns along the coast will be difficult.

Regarding the highways, i had asked a few Taiwanese and they all said the same thing. My other option is to take the smaller routes (route 6/route 9, something like that, can't rmb) across Taiwan. But I can't find any info on it anymore.
Anyone has any info on it
Old 26-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #11
High Supremacy Member

Thanks for sharing. I don't think Ill be riding a big ride in Taiwan as the tight city traffic and the turns along the coast will be difficult.

Regarding the highways, i had asked a few Taiwanese and they all said the same thing. My other option is to take the smaller routes (route 6/route 9, something like that, can't rmb) across Taiwan. But I can't find any info on it anymore.
So tell us, what's your plan now?
calkel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #12
Arch-Supremacy Member

I have the book. Can lend it to you but I'm not in Singapore now and won't return till August. I'm using my mobile so I can't just quote the post, so here's the link.

http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/taiwan-291/scooter-touring-taiwan-4760351.html
dilphinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #13

So tell us, what's your plan now?
saw Diphinus' post and this previous thread and understand a lill more about the highway system in Taipei

I supposed those circled in green doesn't allow motorcycles (梅花, freeway) and those in blue allow motorcycles (provisional highway)

Currently looking at routes that people shared on motowhere website. Although there are only that few but maybe I'll take mix few routes around and construct my own.

So yeah still going ahead with the mini tour on the north east side
Old 27-05-2017, 04:27 PM   #14

I have the book. Can lend it to you but I'm not in Singapore now and won't return till August. I'm using my mobile so I can't just quote the post, so here's the link.

Scooter Touring Taiwan
Are you in tw? Perhaps we can meet up there for coffee and provide some advices
Old 27-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #15

Yes, that is correct.

National Highways (flower logos, circled in green) do not allow any bikes, regardless of size.

Provincial (not provisional) highways are labeled RED or BLUE.

The BLUE label Provincial highways are just major roads, and run through towns and these allow bikes/scooters. These have traffic lights, junctions and pedestrian crossings, just like any big road.

The RED ones are high speed expressways, and only allow BIG bikes > 550cc. These are mostly on the more developed West coast. Your map screenshot on the east coast doesn't have any of these expressways.

saw Diphinus' post and this previous thread and understand a lill more about the highway system in Taipei

I supposed those circled in green doesn't allow motorcycles (梅花, freeway) and those in blue allow motorcycles (provisional highway)

Currently looking at routes that people shared on motowhere website. Although there are only that few but maybe I'll take mix few routes around and construct my own.

So yeah still going ahead with the mini tour on the north east side

Last edited by butterbarter; 27-05-2017 at 05:03 PM..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.