HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

First time heading to taipei and maybe jiufen

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #1

First time heading to taipei and maybe jiufen

Hi guys, need some advice.

First time heading with wife and kid to taiwan in mid October for 7 days.

Return tickets to taoyuan international airport.

Haven't decide where to stay as totally not familiar. Maybe plan to stay near taiwan main station. Is that a good location to all the tourist night markets etc?

Another question is I also want to head over to jiufen probably just to see the scenery and the environment and check out their markets therr.

Since I am going on a 8d7n trip, should I straight start my holiday from airport and stay in jiufen and then rest of the days in taipei, or do a mid week trip to jiufen, stay a night there and back? Not sure how the transport system to go to jiufen from airport etc.

Still totally clueless where to go around lol.. Sorry for the newbie questions. Will do more research.
jnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

Hi guys, need some advice.

First time heading with wife and kid to taiwan in mid October for 7 days.

Return tickets to taoyuan international airport.

Haven't decide where to stay as totally not familiar. Maybe plan to stay near taiwan main station. Is that a good location to all the tourist night markets etc?

Another question is I also want to head over to jiufen probably just to see the scenery and the environment and check out their markets therr.

Since I am going on a 8d7n trip, should I straight start my holiday from airport and stay in jiufen and then rest of the days in taipei, or do a mid week trip to jiufen, stay a night there and back? Not sure how the transport system to go to jiufen from airport etc.

Still totally clueless where to go around lol.. Sorry for the newbie questions. Will do more research.

taipei main station you mean? I think its a centralised location, there're no night markets at the place itself but it's very central to the famous night markets around like ximending, shilin

if i were you, i will do a midweek trip to jiufen. if not the trip to jiufen straight from airport (taoyuan) may be a little too much after the long flight. going to jiufen from taipei is easier.
xchampsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #3

taipei main station you mean? I think its a centralised location, there're no night markets at the place itself but it's very central to the famous night markets around like ximending, shilin

if i were you, i will do a midweek trip to jiufen. if not the trip to jiufen straight from airport (taoyuan) may be a little too much after the long flight. going to jiufen from taipei is easier.
Actually I also don't understand why stay in Jiufen. No advantage at all.
Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 PM   #4

oh can elaborate? just a day trip to there is fine already ah?
Old 01-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
High Supremacy Member

A day trip will do fine.
Unless you are into photography, then can consider that place.
calkel20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

Depends on your itinerary. I'm actually going to stay 2 nights at Jiufen for my upcoming trip. I've done Jiufen/houtong/jingtong/Keelung in a day during my last trip, and I didn't really like that it's quite rushed. My friend really likes Jiufen (he's a huge ghibli fan) and the view, so we gonna base ourselves there for two nights in the middle of our trip and visit nearby attractions on different days.
Ruriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #7

hmmm, nothing can really quite explain it.
i've been to jiufen twice for day trips, just spend around 4-5 hours there then heading back to my hotel.
That place has a rustic, cosy feel that makes you feel warm and comfortable there.

how can i put it, at night, when the sun goes down and the lights come on, on the hill facing the sea, it makes you feel at peace.
a change from the usual taipei hotel, with at most a balcony overlooking the streets, or maybe seeing taipei 101.

its not about having an advantage or not, its about experiencing night time in such a place.
Go google jiufen at night, have a look at some blogs and pictures.
Maybe you can have a better idea and make a better decision.

cheers
Andrew833 likes this.
xchampsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #8

A day trip will do fine.
Unless you are into photography, then can consider that place.
i got to do more research on taiwan..hmm so what other "nearby" states that i ought to go? family friendly kind.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
High Supremacy Member

Depends on your itinerary. I'm actually going to stay 2 nights at Jiufen for my upcoming trip. I've done Jiufen/houtong/jingtong/Keelung in a day during my last trip, and I didn't really like that it's quite rushed. My friend really likes Jiufen (he's a huge ghibli fan) and the view, so we gonna base ourselves there for two nights in the middle of our trip and visit nearby attractions on different days.
The serenity of that place is magical.
Have you visited Jinguashi?
If not i will suggest you to drop by.

Some photos of Jiufen from some blog.
Jilong Mountain (雞籠山)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 PM   #10
High Supremacy Member

i got to do more research on taiwan..hmm so what other "nearby" states that i ought to go? family friendly kind.
Keelung night market.
Yilan.
Luodong.
Flying Cow at Miaoli.
Cingjing at Nantou.
Boat ride at Danshui.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #11

Keelung night market.
Yilan.
Luodong.
Flying Cow at Miaoli.
Cingjing at Nantou.
Boat ride at Danshui.
these seems to be abit of distance from taipei, (just by looking at google maps) or are they easily accessible?
Old 01-10-2017, 10:33 PM   #12
High Supremacy Member

these seems to be abit of distance from taipei, (just by looking at google maps) or are they easily accessible?
Since you are at GOOGLE MAP,can easily know how to go around.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #13

Similar to my trip in oct
Me is 3d2n in taipei, 3d2n in yilan then 4d3n back in taipei. Both my stay in taipei are airbnb. One at da'an area one at ximending area.Very worth it check it out. both near to mrt stations.

Will be going jiufen/shifen but day tour only. I booked klook's transport.

U need to act quick. Now already oct liao. I settled most of my stuff in august.

Places I'll be visiting while in taipei: dan shui, zoo/mao kong, jiufen/shifen, various night market. My itinerary mostly relax and slow pace because my group oldest is 70 youngest is 4

Last edited by Thoreldan; 02-10-2017 at 04:32 PM..
Thoreldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:46 PM   #14

What he meant is taipei very accessible to jiufen areas and yilan , hualien ,others etc.

It's perfectly fine to stay in Taipei and visit jiufen till night then return to Taipei since journey is ~1.5hours only.

Better to see the railway train time table though .
MrAwesomeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #15

Similar to my trip in oct
Me is 3d2n in taipei, 3d2n in yilan then 4d3n back in taipei. Both my stay in taipei are airbnb. One at da'an area one at ximending area.Very worth it check it out. both near to mrt stations.

Will be going jiufen/shifen but day tour only. I booked klook's transport.

U need to act quick. Now already oct liao. I settled most of my stuff in august.

Places I'll be visiting while in taipei: dan shui, zoo/mao kong, jiufen/shifen, various night market. My itinerary mostly relax and slow pace because my group oldest is 70 youngest is 4
oo nice. ya its a last minute trip. oh never heard of yilan. let me check it out. yours same days as mine. 8d7n in total.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.