Yehliu Geopark, Jiufen and Jingguashi, NO WAY!

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why the title you may ask. It is not that you should not visit these places. You should not cover these places in 1 day unless you got a taxi driver with you. Geographically and topologically with public transport this should not even be attempted unless you are the first visitor to Yehliu Geopark first thing in the morning when they open 0830!

Allow me to give you an idea.

From Taipei West Bus Terminal A take 1815 to Yehliu Geopark. Give or take 50min to 1hour depending on the traffic.

You might stay around Yehliu for 2 hours at least if you want to explore all the way to the tip. It is worth I must say. Really worth it.

Then you go back to the same bus stop but cross to the opposite side to take 1022 to Keelung. Yes, take the bus to Keelung. This takes around 40-50min.

Then at the Keelung station, take bus 1013 for Jingguashi. Sometimes the bus does not have a number but has Jingguashi as the sign. So it brings you to Jingguashi. Maybe 30-40min.

Spend around an hour or 2 there. Then take the same bus at the JIngguashi terminal stop back but getting down at Jiufen. Around 20min. Spend 2-3hrs in Jiufen.

Finally for the return to Taipei, either from Jingguashi or Jiufen take 1062.

Else, take the same Jingguashi bus (1013) back to Keelung, walk down to Miaokow NM to eat, walk back to the bus terminal to take 1813 to Taipei West Bus Terminal B.

Sibeh leh chey.

Those who have a budget to keep, screw the idea of going to Yehliu, Jingguashi and Jiufen on the same day. It is a friggin' rush. You will blow your budget when you get to Yehliu and realize the time constraint and will be forced to hire one of the taxi drivers waiting at the Yehliu bus stop bound for Keelung.

I suggest going to Yehliu later with 1815. Then after Yehliu, take 1022 to Keelung to enjoy Miaokow NM. Then 1813 back to Taipei.

Or after Yehliu, on the same bus stop you alighted for Yehliu (don't cross road), take 1262 for Danshui.

Leave Jiufen and Jingguashi for another day. Suggest taking TRA to Ruifang and then exit to take the bus 1013 (Jingguashi bus) for Jingguashi and then on to Jiufen.

This also helps become familiar with Ruifang for the Pingxi rail line ride for Houtong (lots of kitty cats), Sandiaoling (waterfall), Shifen (waterfall), Pingxi and then Jingtong.

Last edited:

martintylor

Reaction score
If I want to go to Jiufen,shifen, jingguashi, pingxi, jingtong and keelung NM in a day, what should be the order and how to travel between each place?

Btw what's there in pingxi and jingtong?

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If I want to go to Jiufen,shifen, jingguashi, pingxi, jingtong and keelung NM in a day, what should be the order and how to travel between each place?

Btw what's there in pingxi and jingtong?

You are crazy have this itinerary. Jiufen, Jingguashi and at night end in Keelung's Miaokow NM better.
Shifen, Pingxi and Jingtong are mining towns along the Pingxi rail line. Go to these places to release the "tian deng".

martintylor

Reaction score
You are crazy have this itinerary. Jiufen, Jingguashi and at night end in Keelung's Miaokow NM better.
Shifen, Pingxi and Jingtong are mining towns along the Pingxi rail line. Go to these places to release the "tian deng".

How to get to keelung NM from shifen?

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How to get to keelung NM from shifen?

Wah lau, obviously didn't read my post. You take bus 1013, the Jingguashi bus back to Keelung bus terminal which is beside the Keelung railway station.

Then walk to Miaokow NM. Ask the locals where it is. They will point you to it.

martintylor

Reaction score
Wah lau, obviously didn't read my post. You take bus 1013, the Jingguashi bus back to Keelung bus terminal which is beside the Keelung railway station.

Then walk to Miaokow NM. Ask the locals where it is. They will point you to it.

Oh so bus 1013 also got passby shifen. Thanks

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
OK maybe I should present it schematically.

Taipei Main Station >>> Yehliu Geopark (1815, TWD96)
Taipei Main Station <<< Yehliu Geopark (1815, TWD96)

Keelung <<< Yehliu Geopark (1022, TWD47)

Yehliu >>> Dansui (1262, TWD125)

Keelung >>> Jiufen >>> Jingguashi (1013)
Keelung <<< Jiufen <<< Jingguashi (1013)

Keelung >>> Taipei West Bus Terminal B (1813)

Jingguashi >>> Jiufen >>> Taipei Main Station (1062)

Last edited:

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wait....crap! I didn't read properly. No bus goes to Shifen.

You need to take the train to Shifen from Ruifang.

Let me again do it schematically.

Taipei Main Station >>> Ruifang Station (any train heading clockwise of Taiwan)
Ruifang Station >>> Shifen (using Pingxi tourist train)

Ruifang Station >>> Jiufen >>> Jingguashi (1013 bus, have to exit station to take this bus)

So to get to Keelung from Shifen,

Shifen >>> Ruifang Station (using Pingxi tourist train), exit Ruifang Station
Ruifang >>> Keelung (1013)

So schematically, 1013's route.

Keelung >>> Ruifang Station >>> Jiufen >>> Jingguashi
Keelung <<< Ruifang Station <<< Jiufen <<< Jingguashi

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I realized that you want to head to a night market for chow before heading back.

Roahe NM is exactly at Songshan TRA station. Until the MRT comes up at this station in 2013, the easiest and best way to get to Roahe NM is to get to Songshan TRA station which is what I did.

So after touring Pingxi line (or Jiufen, Jingguashi), return to Ruifang to catch a train back to Taipei Main Station. Don't board an express train. Look out for the "local train" is best or ask the TRA conductor at Ruifang.

Songshan TRA station is just before Taipei Main Station. Get down and look for signs to go to Raohe NM. It is that simple.

martintylor

Reaction score
thks for the detailed explanation, think I will want to go to Miaokow NM rather than raohe NM.

fone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why the title you may ask. It is not that you should not visit these places. You should not cover these places in 1 day unless you got a taxi driver with you. Geographically and topologically with public transport this should not even be attempted unless you are the first visitor to Yehliu Geopark first thing in the morning when they open 0830!

I'm considering this itinerary or similar, either with a taxi driver or self drive. If take taxi, would you recommend taking from Keelung train station or just from Taipei / Taoyuan? Cost is not an important factor, convenience and comfort is.

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm considering this itinerary or similar, either with a taxi driver or self drive. If take taxi, would you recommend taking from Keelung train station or just from Taipei / Taoyuan? Cost is not an important factor, convenience and comfort is.

Actually it is best to get the taxi driver from Keelung. It is these guys territory. Even at Ruifang itself. The prices are better. The cabbies from Taipei will most likely ask for TWD4000 and above for these places plus waiting on you. The Keelung and Ruifang cabbies can be bargained with and they like you to visit this area. So to make it cheaper, you can request them to just drop you off at Miaokow for you to take a bus back to Taipei. A local did tell me that the bus is faster after 2100 compared to the train. Also cheaper if it is a weekday.

I'm writing this because I got into an argument with my wife over this and her geography fail. :s13:

So after Yehliu, after explaining to her the time constraint since she wanted to see Jiufen as well, we talked to this cab driver from Ruifang who was waiting outside of Yehliu. His opening price was TWD 800 for all 4 of us to Jiufen. So we asked if he could wait on us to go to Jiufen and Shifen (was already 12 noon) then to Miaokow NM. He asked for TWD2500 which I consider it as reasonable considering the distance and time spent for him waiting on us.

Wife paid for the taxi. :D

We hit Jiufen around 1245. We were there until 1545. Then we were at Shifen around 1700. Didn't see the waterfall since it is closed. So while there is still light, we released our "tian deng". Then left at 1800 for Miakow NM. Reached there around 1900. Left by bus 1813 from Keelung bus terminal for Taipei West Bus Terminal B.

We visited the Pingxi line the next day to get to Shifen by rail to see the Shifen waterfall as well as Jingtong.

Last edited:

yukino

Reaction score
hi, if we want to have a less rush day trip.. jiufen, shifen and Jingguashi should be fesiable in a day right? what other areas we can consider to add in?

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi, if we want to have a less rush day trip.. jiufen, shifen and Jingguashi should be fesiable in a day right? what other areas we can consider to add in?

Feasible. But must set out very early. See Jinghuashi first then Jiufen then Shifen at 3-4pm for the waterfall before releasing you tian deng before dark.

jlpk007

Master Member
Reaction score
I am planning the following...wonder is it too rush.

Taipei --> JiuFeng
JiuFeng --> PingXi + Shifen.

is this route feasible in a day by public transport (train and bus)?

genie47

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Best is take train from Taipei to Ruifang. Then exit Ruifang to go take the bus to Jiufen. Then bus back to Ruifang for train to Pingxi and Shifen. It is very relaxed day out. Not rushed at all. You just need to watch the time spent at Jiufen. Remember Shifen waterfall closes at 17:00.

eliteFX

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is there any suggested itinerary if I want to go to houtong, shifen, jiufen, pingxi, jingguashi in a day with night market? Dun need yeliu geopark

durianyogurt

Reaction score
hi, is this plan feasible?

i am heading from taichung straight to jiufen for a night. so lets say i am traveling to taipei from taichung (by bus or hsr) then i depart taipei to jiufen by 10am.

10am from taipei to Ruifang. (45mins)
11am Ruifang to jiufen (approx 15-20mins)
11.30 - 12noon check in
12.30pm bus to ruifang (15-20mins)
1pm train to jingtong and/or pingxi (i haven figured what we can go there except phototaking)
3.30pm must reach shifen cos need to walk 20mins to waterfall
we can loiter and all till closing at 5pm
20mins back from waterfall
6pm loiter shifen shops, etc
6.30/7pm sky lantern
7.30-8pm proceed to keelung miaokou night market.
we will probably miss the last bus.. then.. as quoted "please remember that the last bus will depart from Keelung at 9.50 pm. If you are late, hail a cab or take a bus back to Rueifang Train Station and from there, take a cab to Jiufen."
enjoy the night at jiufen.
next day wake up then explore jiufen.

any input on this itinerary?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.