Need to produce Bt20,000 in cash when entering Thailand?

Cheonga

Reaction score
According to ST today, there have been reports surfaced on social media of foreigners being refused entry for not having Bt20,000 in cash when entering Thailand.

Is this for real?

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/some-tourist-visa-holders-asked-to-produce-bt20000-in-cash-when-entering-thailand?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#link_time=1500347577

MissyL

Reaction score
if suay suay, they spot check you and cannot produce. They can deny you.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
20k baht per pax quite alot, think i bring max only 30k for two pax cos can use cc at restaurants and malls if needed.

I guess like AV said, mix with sgd.

turtlezhu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
was talking to a da kor kor. it say tourist visa = those staying for 60 days. our normal entry 30 days bo taiji.

vbkk88

Reaction score
The above mentioned criteria does not apply to most of the travelers here going to Thailand for a short vacation. It's only applicable for those who apply for a "tourist visa" for a duration of 60days at a thai embassy/consulate outside Thailand. For normal tourists who's here for a 3-7 days trip , u are given a separate stamp on your passport. It's a visa exempt stamp. So no need to worry and it does not apply to most of u. ;)

ApeTruelove

Master Member
Reaction score
Immigration can random pick on any tourist and check if have sufficient funds. This applied to every country even Singapore everyday have tourist been refused for this

Bardiel

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tourist visa.

especially those ang moh that love long stay in thai

turtlezhu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually 20k baht not a lot. A short trip can already hit 20k spending especially for those chiongster.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, read a Thailand news. It's say, they will check those with 60 days visa and those passport with many Thailand stamps. This is to block those backpacker begging in Thailand and other problems.

So expert here that go bkk very often need to prepare cash, it's only about S$800. I wonder if have S$400 in baht and S$400 in sgd, will have any problem.

turtlezhu

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, read a Thailand news. It's say, they will check those with 60 days visa and those passport with many Thailand stamps. This is to block those backpacker begging in Thailand and other problems.

So expert here that go bkk very often need to prepare cash, it's only about S$800. I wonder if have S$400 in baht and S$400 in sgd, will have any problem.

they did say 20,000 baht. those regular bkk chiongster sure hit 20,000 baht.

go 1 night party already 5,000 - 15,000 baht depending on go where party.

they did say only those student visa / tourist visa = 60 days visa are the one they aim.

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
they did say 20,000 baht. those regular bkk chiongster sure hit 20,000 baht.

go 1 night party already 5,000 - 15,000 baht depending on go where party.

they did say only those student visa / tourist visa = 60 days visa are the one they aim.

What about bring sgd there then change how?

vbkk88

Reaction score
i think will just soon soon go pass. cause they see me chao sinkie face.

Sure pass lah. Even if u make short trips like 2-3 days every week for 4 times a month and repeated months, u still won't need to show the $$. At most , immigration officer will ask you regarding your frequent short visits.

Reason for showing the money is for the long term tourist visa holders who stayed Long periods without going back to their origin country. Purpose of show 20,000baht is to show the ability to substain their stay in Thailand and "prove" they are not illegal working in Thailand without a proper permit.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.