Places to eat in Bangkok

FoodieFC

Reaction score
btw u eat sharks fin soup, its never watery leh. it is thick n gooey.

Hi

think you are mistaken, pl let me clarify. =)
I wrote "It was thick (not watery) but lacked in terms of body and flavour. Maybe we should have just ordered this dish from T&K Seafood or from Nam Sing." I was disappointed not because it was thick / gooey. Was disappointed because it lacked flavour.

I have always thought that Shark's Fin Soup was thick too! But guess what, I ate a watery version in Macau. Had it at Chong Kei Hoi Sin Yeh Mei Fan Tim 忠記海鮮魚翅飯店 (Macau). It was a hidden gem!

From the post ( you can read more abt it here):

IMG_2594.JPG

393467_10150613769698275_801978274_11891786_1797033600_n.jpg

The Shark's Fin Soup is different from how it is normally cooked in Singapore. At this restaurant, it is cooked with half a chicken in it to add taste to the broth instead of crab meat. Moreover, there is no starch added nor is there any soy sauce added. The soup is watery, white in colour and tasty! Look at the Shark's Fin. Shiok. Unique bowl of Shark's Fin Soup. First time having it like this. You maybe interested to try this too (you have been warned that it is totally different from what you get in Singapore or even Bangkok's Chinatown)

FoodieFC

Reaction score
Must try!! Mango Tango at Siam Square (Thailand, Bangkok)

6.+Mango+Tango+at+Siam+Square+-+Mango+Fruit+Swing.JPG

The Mango Fruit Swing 55 Baht (S$2.30) was refreshing. It was full of rich in (mango) flavour. It was not diluted. The freshness of the mango and the smoothness of this drink transformed something ordinary into something extra-ordinary!

8.+Mango+Tango+at+Siam+Square+-+Mango+Sticky+Rice+2+Fresh+Mango.JPG

Mango Sticky Rice 2 Fresh Mango 120 Baht (S$5) consisted of two Mangoes with two scoops of Sticky (glutinous) Rice in the middle. It was obvious that they had taken numerous efforts in the presentation style of this dessert. The two scoops of Sticky Rice were served on banana leave while the two Mangoes were presented in such a unique way that they reminded me of the Esplanade.

The Sticky Rice was superbly executed. The rice was warm, soft, moist and aromatic. The perfectly concocted coconut milk drizzled over the sticky rice made a whole world of difference to the taste. It was so good that it can be eaten alone! Brilliant! The Mangoes were top notch too. Fresh, soft, smooth and sweet without any of the fibrous flesh. Irresitable! This is the best Mango Sticky Rice I have ever had!

9.+Mango+Tango+at+Siam+Square+-+Mango+Tango+120+++Extra+Sticky+Rice.JPG

The Mango Tango + Extra Sticky Rice 145 Baht (S$6.05) consisted of Mango, Sticky Rice, Mango Pudding and Mango ice cream. The Mango and Sticky Rice stole the limelight from the other items.

Mango Tango is a die die must try! Their Mango Sticky Rice is the best we had and its worth every single baht!

Tiny potato

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Must try!! Mango Tango at Siam Square (Thailand, Bangkok)

6.+Mango+Tango+at+Siam+Square+-+Mango+Fruit+Swing.JPG

The Mango Fruit Swing 55 Baht (S$2.30) was refreshing. It was full of rich in (mango) flavour. It was not diluted. The freshness of the mango and the smoothness of this drink transformed something ordinary into something extra-ordinary!

8.+Mango+Tango+at+Siam+Square+-+Mango+Sticky+Rice+2+Fresh+Mango.JPG

Mango Sticky Rice 2 Fresh Mango 120 Baht (S$5) consisted of two Mangoes with two scoops of Sticky (glutinous) Rice in the middle. It was obvious that they had taken numerous efforts in the presentation style of this dessert. The two scoops of Sticky Rice were served on banana leave while the two Mangoes were presented in such a unique way that they reminded me of the Esplanade.

The Sticky Rice was superbly executed. The rice was warm, soft, moist and aromatic. The perfectly concocted coconut milk drizzled over the sticky rice made a whole world of difference to the taste. It was so good that it can be eaten alone! Brilliant! The Mangoes were top notch too. Fresh, soft, smooth and sweet without any of the fibrous flesh. Irresitable! This is the best Mango Sticky Rice I have ever had!

9.+Mango+Tango+at+Siam+Square+-+Mango+Tango+120+++Extra+Sticky+Rice.JPG

The Mango Tango + Extra Sticky Rice 145 Baht (S$6.05) consisted of Mango, Sticky Rice, Mango Pudding and Mango ice cream. The Mango and Sticky Rice stole the limelight from the other items.

Mango Tango is a die die must try! Their Mango Sticky Rice is the best we had and its worth every single baht!

I suspect this is currently under renovation. The siam square stretch doing some renovation work now.

Went 3 weeks back, can't find, normally along the way bypass Som tam restaurant.

FoodieFC

Reaction score
Pandan Kuih (Kueh)

Next to Mango Tango outlet is another gem. This no frills shop with no signboard did not have a name and sold just snacks in takeaway boxes.

10.+Pandan+kuih,+sticky+rice,+pancake,+pancake+roll+and+egg+cake.JPG

11.+Pandan+kuih%252C+sticky+rice%252C+pancake%252C+pancake+roll+and+egg+cake.JPG

Their products include such a pandan kuih, sticky rice, pancake, pancake roll and egg cake which are freshly made on the spot.

12.+Pandan+kuih%252C+sticky+rice%252C+pancake%252C+pancake+roll+and+egg+cake.JPG

The takeaway box.

13.+Pandan+kuih,+sticky+rice,+pancake,+pancake+roll+and+egg+cake.JPG

The Pandan Kuih (Kueh) was very good (ho chiak)! It was sweet and rich in pandan flavour. Texture wise, it was soft and chewy on one side while the other side had a cake/sponge like texture.We also ordered the Sticky Rice Cake, which looked like pancakes. Among the two, the Pandan Kuih was our favourite.

dlrowehtleah

Reaction score
I suspect this is currently under renovation. The siam square stretch doing some renovation work now.

Went 3 weeks back, can't find, normally along the way bypass Som tam restaurant.

no they are not under reno but moved slightly further again.

they used to be at siam square soi 4 but temporarily relocated to soi 5 (in front of somtam nua) several years ago bcos of the riot that brunt down their shops and many others along soi 4.

and bcos of the SQ1 mall construction they moved again to one of the units along soi 7 and just a few steps from Ban Khun Mae. soi 7 is the small road which traverse from soi 1 to soi 6.

i was told MT will move to SQ1 in March next year when the construction is completed.

FoodieFC

Reaction score
Ban Khun Mae Restaurant at Siam Square (Thailand, Bangkok)

7.+Ban+Khun+Mae+-+Deep+Fried+Marinated+Chicken+Wrapped+with+Pandan.JPG

8.+Ban+Khun+Mae+-+Deep+Fried+Marinated+Chicken+Wrapped+with+Pandan.JPG

The Deep Fried Marinated Chicken Wrapped with Pandan Leaf 120 Baht (S$5) served with sweet dipping sauce was superb. The chicken was well fried. Each piece was fragrant and incredibly tender and succulent.

10.+Ban+Khun+Mae+-+Chicken+Green+Curry.JPG

The Green Curry Chicken 120 Baht (S$5) was also top notch. It was creamy and had an appetising aroma and unique flavour. It had the right balance of sweetness and mild spiciness which hits the right spot making it a perfect combination with plain rice.

11.+Ban+Khun+Mae+-+Baked+Prawn+with+Glass+Noodles.JPG

12.+Ban+Khun+Mae+-+Baked+Prawn+with+Glass+Noodles.JPG

Look at big the prawns are. The prawns were very fresh and the meat was firm. The glass noodles were pretty ordinary. Although the glass noodles were moist and springy, they were just way too peppery such that we could not detect any other flavours.. T&K Seafood's version was much better.

FoodieFC

Reaction score
Rocking Doll at Asiatique (Thailand, Bangkok)

2.+Rocking+Doll+at+Asiatique.JPG

Rocking Doll was a small eatery with limited seating capacity. The seats and tables were cramped side by side. To get to the seats in the centre, you would need to 'jostle' your way through with numerous "excuse me". In addition, if you have a shopping bags, you would need to either put them down on the floor or carry it on your lap while eating. Despite all these, this was easily the most crowded eatery with the most people queuing.

5.+Rocking+Doll+at+Asiatique+-+Tom+Yum+Shrimps.JPG

As the eatery was packed, we had to wait a fair bit before our food was served. The Tom Yum (Yam) Shrimps 180 Baht (S$7.50) was average with a good balance in flavour.

6.+Rocking+Doll+-+Sauteed+Chinese+Watercress+with+Crispy+Porks.JPG

The Sauteed Chinese Watercress with Crispy Pork 100 Baht (S$4.20) was surprisingly good. The vegetables were well fried and very tasty with a hint of spiciness. Although the pork was not crispy as its name suggested and the dish could have been less oily, it was well-worth the calories. Sinful but delicious.

7.+Rocking+Doll+-+Pad+Thai+with+Shrimps.JPG

We thought that the Phad Thai with Shrimps 75 Baht (S$3.10) would be the best dish. But well, we were wrong. The Phad Thai did not leave an impression and was mediocre.

FoodieFC

Reaction score
8.+Rocking+Doll+-+Stir+Fried+Noodle+with+Seafood.JPG

The Stir Fried Noodle with Seafood 75 Baht (S$3.10) fared better. It was very well fried with smoky wok-hei infused in it. In addition, preserved radish (chye poh) was added in it such each mouthful was flavourful and addictive. It was would have been perfect if it was a tad less oily.

9.+Rocking+Doll+-+Fried+Rice+with+Seafood.JPG

The Fried Rice with Seafood 75 Baht (S$3.10) was delicious. We ordered another plate after tasting it. The rice grains were soft and each rain was well coated with immense wok hei flavour with smoky aroma.

While dining at Rocking Doll, we bought a few cups of Thai Traditional Ice Milk Tea from the Beverage Stall nearby. The Beverage Stall was actually located just 1 unit away from Rocking Doll. You can see Rocking Doll in the background of the above photo.
11.+Beverage+Stall+at+Asiatique+-+Thai+Traditional+Ice+Milk+Tea.JPG

11.+Beverage+Stall+at+Asiatique+-+Thai+Traditional+Ice+Milk+Tea.JPG

The Thai Traditional Ice Milk Tea 30 Baht (S$1.25) was one of the better ones we drank. It was fragrant and aromatic.

FoodieFC

Reaction score
Noodle Soup with Chicken at Chatuchak Weekend Market (Thailand, Bangkok)

1.+Noodle+Soup+with+Chicken+at+Chatuchak+Weekend+Market+(a).JPG

We were thrilled when we found this place. It was like how I would imagine a popular place to be. Brisk business, filled to the brim with people. Noodle Soup with Chicken is actually located at Section 21, Soi 29 facing Soi 47. The nearest gate is "Gate 3". You can refer to either the interactive or static map at the bottom of this post to better visualise the location.

2a.+Noodle+Soup+with+Chicken+at+Chatuchak+Weekend+Market.JPG

3.+Noodle+Soup+with+Chicken+at+Chatuchak+Weekend+Market.JPG

7.+Noodle+Soup+with+Chicken+at+Chatuchak+Market+-+Kway+Teow.JPG

We all ordered the same dish - Noodle Soup with Chicken. The only variation was the noodles.

This was the last bowl of Kway Teow Soup with Chicken 50 Baht (S$2.08)!

8a.+Noodle+Soup+with+Chicken+at+Chatuchak+Market+-+Glass+Noodle.JPG

We ordered Noodle (Glass Noodle) Soup with Chicken 50 Baht (S$2.08)

9.+Noodle+Soup+with+Chicken+at+Chatuchak+Market+-+Bee+Hoon.JPG

Deciding to try different noodles, we also ordered Noodle (Bee Hoon) Soup with Chicken 50 Baht (S$2.08).

The Noodle Soup with Chicken was delicious. Each bowl was accompanied by two pieces of braised chicken meat, one of which would be a drumstick. The braised chicken meat were so tender and flavourful. The (chicken) soup was rich, tasty and sweet with a slight hint herbal flavour which was just nice, such that those who do not fancy herbal stuff would not be turned off. Great find with satisfying and comfort food. Certainly a place to try if you are in Chatuchak Market.

donut33

Master Member
Reaction score
To those who wants Shark Fin soup, if not too fussy, can try at Platinum Mall 6th floor food court. Cost 180 baht per clay pot...not bad though, i like it. Tasty soup base and few pieces of solid fins!! No need go th restuarant in Chinatown.

Bishio

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u guys have any good porridge to recommend?
hey try the famous jok sam yam! near sam yam mrt station.

btw i think ban khun mae is overrated n not really gd n value for money.

FoodieFC

Reaction score
To those who wants Shark Fin soup, if not too fussy, can try at Platinum Mall 6th floor food court. Cost 180 baht per clay pot...not bad though, i like it. Tasty soup base and few pieces of solid fins!! No need go th restuarant in Chinatown.
I saw the stall selling Shark Fins soup in Platinum food court. But never try.. what a waste!

FoodieFC

Reaction score
u guys have any good porridge to recommend?

I ate at a street stall that sells porridge in the morning near Baiyoke Sky Hotel. It is not bad (though not a die die must try).

1.+Street+Food+-+Porridge.JPG

6.+Street+Food+-+Porridge.JPG

Am still drafting the post. But if u need a quick look at the location, you can click the map here.

FoodieFC

Reaction score
The highly raved about Coconut Ice Cream at Chatuchak Weekend Market (Thailand, Bangkok) was a major let down...

Coconut Ice Cream at Chatuchak Weekend Market (Thailand, Bangkok)

1.+Coconut+Ice+Cream+at+Chatuchak+Weekend+Market.JPG

3.+Coconut+Ice+Cream+at+Chatuchak+Weekend+Market.JPG

5.+Coconut+Ice+Cream+at+Chatuchak+Weekend+Market.JPG

Coconut Ice Cream 35 Baht (S$1.40)

4.+Coconut+Ice+Cream+at+Chatuchak+Weekend+Market.JPG

Coconut Ice Cream 35 Baht (S$1.40)

The Coconut Ice Cream was disappointing with nothing to shout about. The coconut ice cream was not as flavourful as the version we had earlier. In addition, it seemed diluted. As for the coconut flesh, it was tough and hard. Totally unsatisfying. It is certainly not the best. My advice would be to give this a skip and try the one at Damnoen Saduak Floating Market instead. It was way better (but of course please go at your own risk, as I do not know the opening hours of the boat vendor).

FoodieFC

Reaction score
Luk Chup and Pratunam Morning Market (Thailand, Bangkok)

1.+Pratunam+Morning+Market+%2528outside+Baiyoke+Sky+Hotel%2529.JPG

The Pratunam Morning Market opens in the wee hours of the morning from 4am to 9am on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays (I am not sure if they open on other days). No I am not joking, they really open at such hours! This morning market consisting of makeshift stalls is located just in front of Baiyoke Sky Hotel stretching all the way to Ratchaprarop road and Indra Sqaure.

Many tourists and locals would wake up early and visit this morning market because the clothes are fashionable! In addition, it is a wholesales market and the clothes are incredibly cheap! To get wholesales prices, customers would normally need to purchase 3 or more pieces of clothes from the same stall. It has been said that stall owners in other markets and platinum mall would purchase their clothes from this market. It may be true to a certain extent as we saw many locals purchasing and wheeling away cartons of clothes.

4.+Thai+Luk+Chup+at+Pratunam+Morning+Market.JPG

]We were pleasantly to find a Luk Chup stall in the Pratunam Morning Market. It is difficult to describe the location, please refer to blogpost instead. With its bright, attractive and colourful products, this stall stood out among the other stalls.

5.+Thai+Luk+Chup+at+Pratunam+Morning+Market.JPG

Lup Chup is a Thai minature fruit shaped dessert made of mung bean, sugar and coconut milk, and kneaded into these cute little fruits. It is then painted in various colours using natural colours (I hope) and dipped in clear gelatin resulting in its glossy and bright exterior. Look at the variety of Lup Chup available. They were in the shape of carrots, chillies, cherries, mangosteens, oranges, mangoes, bananas, watermelon, pears, corns and more!

6.+Thai+Luk+Chup+at+Pratunam+Morning+Market.JPG

At 15 pieces for 20 Baht (S$0.83), these Luk Chup were so much cheaper than those found in the shopping centres. The Lup Chup tasted the same even if a different shape was chose. They are sweet and fragrant. Very addictive dessert / snack. If you are in Thailand, the Lup Chup is a must try!

xavilee

Reaction score
the coconut ice cream got another stall selling it much nicer. not such if it is the same which you mention, there also another stall which sell ice-cream which they dip in hot chocolate sauce. another must try is the fresh orange juice

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.