Sharing some pics n stuff of my recent trip to BKK (mostly food pics though)

ShrekDonkey

Reaction score
The dinner buffet at the Bangkok JW Marriott (Marriott Cafe) is nice too. About 1100baht per person. Has oysters, sashimi, foie gras, thai food, good desserts. The dinner seating is always full. Once I booked late and they could only seat me at 8pm..

Is the dinner buffet available daily or only on particular days? 1100/pax is inclusive of all the tax charges?

augustin0001

Reaction score
I just hopped onto the first bus and alight at the first stop in the city area to grab a cab. Save on airport surcharge n tolls. Its a flat B35 for bus fare. Thing to note, 1 side of the terminal are the small minivans, whereas the other side are the large buses. If you reach there after 12am, only the large buses will still be operating. The small minivans once leave liao, means tat its for the nite. Dun bother waiting.

Do you know that you can take the cab from the top level (Departure hall) and your taxi fare will be much cheaper?

I give you idea. Taxi from airport to Pratunam area are 500 baht if take from downstairs. But if you hail a cab from upstairs, its less than 200 baht when go by meter. No point taking bus then taxi at some random place. just take from the top

Highway is just a waste of money

Of course, in the day you'll be better off taking the airport link

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you know that you can take the cab from the top level (Departure hall) and your taxi fare will be much cheaper?

I give you idea. Taxi from airport to Pratunam area are 500 baht if take from downstairs. But if you hail a cab from upstairs, its less than 200 baht when go by meter. No point taking bus then taxi at some random place. just take from the top

Highway is just a waste of money

Thanks! I din know tat. Take from upstairs, dun have to pay the B50 airport surcharge and the B70 highway toll? How come the difference so much?

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The dinner buffet at the Bangkok JW Marriott (Marriott Cafe) is nice too. About 1100baht per person. Has oysters, sashimi, foie gras, thai food, good desserts. The dinner seating is always full. Once I booked late and they could only seat me at 8pm..

Gum sia for the recommendation. Another buffet to try :D

Have you tried those B2000+ extravagant Sunday Brunchs?

rVn_mUfC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I din know tat. Take from upstairs, dun have to pay the B50 airport surcharge and the B70 highway toll? How come the difference so much?

Illegal one, taxi not allowed to pick up passenger there. But saf motto also apply for them, do anything but dun get caught lol. Tollway still must pay if u use. No surcharge only.

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Illegal one, taxi not allowed to pick up passenger there. But saf motto also apply for them, do anything but dun get caught lol. Tollway still must pay if u use. No surcharge only.

The B70 toll is a must in order to use the roads leading to n fro the airport? You mean there are roads which you can use to avoid the toll?

So all in all, can save B50 only? K lar, every cent counts :s13:

rVn_mUfC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The B70 toll is a must in order to use the roads leading to n fro the airport? You mean there are roads which you can use to avoid the toll?

So all in all, can save B50 only? K lar, every cent counts :s13:

yes, u can go by small road instead, actually its cheaper to not go by tollway if the traffic dun jam, in off peak period, day time is a no-no in Bkk notorious traffic. Using the expressway will reach your destination faster though in any case lol.

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes, u can go by small road instead, actually its cheaper to not go by tollway if the traffic dun jam, in off peak period, day time is a no-no in Bkk notorious traffic. Using the expressway will reach your destination faster though in any case lol.

Lol, i din know can siam the airport tolls one. Then again, i have not took cab from BKK airport for a long time liao. Even tat time went with a friend i also dragged him to take train with me. Told him should experience riding their trains since he never tried b4 when actually its i dun wanna pay for the cab =:p

Bro, you like very familiar with BKK. Can recommend some nicer sight seeing spots other than the usual grand palace, wat arun, wat pho? Is Dusit Zoo worth going? You tried flight of the gibbon b4?

rVn_mUfC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
haha, i prefer taking train into the city when i m alone or with just another person. but when in a big group, sometime taxi is the cheaper alternative, just need to work out the sum lol.

Dusit Zoo went before, its not big especially when you compare to our local zoo here. In Bangkok, you may want to consider Safari World. Siam Park City or Dream world for theme park. There's a madam tussaud museum right in Siam Discovery Centre as well.

There is better attraction just outside of Bangkok though, Ancient City in Samut Prakan, the Temples in Ayuthaya, floating market in Amphawa, river kwai in Kanchanaburi, all these are just 1-2hours away from Bangkok.

Since you are a foodie, you may wanna check out Chocolate Ville, this place i just came across a few days back. Look like a nice place for photo taking and have a meal at the same time. The name is misleading, its not a dessert place if you are wondering lol.

Flight of the gibbon, personally not tried yet lol.

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dusit Zoo went before, its not big especially when you compare to our local zoo here. In Bangkok, you may want to consider Safari World. Siam Park City or Dream world for theme park. There's a madam tussaud museum right in Siam Discovery Centre as well.

There is better attraction just outside of Bangkok though, Ancient City in Samut Prakan, the Temples in Ayuthaya, floating market in Amphawa, river kwai in Kanchanaburi, all these are just 1-2hours away from Bangkok.

Since you are a foodie, you may wanna check out Chocolate Ville, this place i just came across a few days back. Look like a nice place for photo taking and have a meal at the same time. The name is misleading, its not a dessert place if you are wondering lol.

My parents tried Safari World before n they recommended it. They liked River Kwai too. Said Ayuthaya just many piles of rocks *pengz* ... so you can see why i'm a bit hesitant to try their recommendations :o

Which has more thrilling rides? Siam Park City or Dreamworld?

Think i will consider going Safari World and Ayuthaya. They sound interesting. Will skip Dusit Zoo :D

They also said Calypso is nice. Tried Siam Niramit b4 n its certainly not bad. World class production although the story not as dramatic as cats, phantom n les miserables.

Chocolate Ville looks interesting as well.

Gum sia for the recommendations!

rVn_mUfC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Siam park city and dream world both has thrilling rides. In addition Siam park city has water ride n famous for their long slider. Dream world has other stuff such as haunted house n snow city. Maybe u look at webbie n see which one u prefer lol.
Suan Siam (Siam park city) is very near to safari world, while dream world is in the rangsit area, just outside north Bkk.

If u like to see stuff like temples etc, ayutthaya will be good, there r plenty of temples there. Ancient city u can consider as well, it's a place whereby it has all the famous landmark in Thailand inside it. Of course in a smaller scale then the actual one.With the bts now extended all the way to bearing, going there is even faster and easier now than before lol.

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lunch at Banana Leaf@Central Plaza on Thu 10 May 2012

A friend highly recommended the pork knuckles (PK) at Banana Leaf as well as the chix wings. Said tat its jin crispy n ho jiak, so being a PK junkie, i die die must try.

96cyc.jpg

Found tat they have a branch over at Central Plaza, so i headed there for lunch on day 1 of my BKK escapade!

Ordered their PK set. Note tat its listed under appertisers :eek: Either Thais have large appetite of the portion is small ... oh well, if its small, then its perfect cos i have a buffet planned that nite :D

Wah, quite a big portion wor ... heng ah never order chix wings
SqnPs.jpg

Hmmm, my heart sank a little cos it looks a bit over fried n dried out ...
F0PUq.jpg

Closeup ... looks like jin crispy ... like cracker ... the layer of fats looks good though :s13:
NJ8sh.jpg

The backside.
ZOEuj.jpg

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The supporting cast ...

This salad is very good cos of their sauce. I like sweet n sourish things. The vegs are all fresh n crunchy.
xuRHK.jpg

Actually i like their green chilli. I even bought a bottle home =:p
Slightly sweet, slightly sourish, n got a bit of kick to it. Should help to alleviate the jelatness of the PK.
Fz83J.jpg

Got dried shrimps n peanuts in it too, not wonder so fragrant. I dumped the raw cabbage n long beans in too so tat sauce will help cover up their raw taste.
nbpiM.jpg

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Looks very dry right?
imgFp.jpg

Never judge things by their appearance ... look at the oily fats :love:
tXCF2.jpg

Boy oh boy ... i'm salivating at this point :o
B6gYq.jpg

Even the meat is quite tender.
9cj5w.jpg

While i won't say its bursting with juices, it is certainly not dry. I likie!
Ajnpa.jpg

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside ... bui bui too ... i totally dig this PK
VAWT1.jpg

The collagen between the bones ...
smwez.jpg

Ordered a coconut to rinse down all the fats. Big n sweet. The flesh also quite creamy. Thai coconuts really bagus! :s22:
6yGkb.jpg

The dmg. Coconut is about B40, so abt S$1.60. So PK is about B450 or S$19. I wun say its cheap cos you can get a PK at cold storage for S$18, but this is so much nicer, so totally worth every single cent :s13:
g0ayx.jpg

Must really thank my friend for this great recommendation! If you like PK, do give them a try.

Last edited:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh yea, for those interested in watching movies in BKK (good way to pass those sweltering hot afternoons), its B200 for Avengers 3D at Major cinema, Central Plaza on a Thu afternoon and B170 for digital movie on a Fri afternoon.

The digital movie not tat cheap, but the 3D is only about S$8 nia :eek:

Beno777

Reaction score
My parents tried Safari World before n they recommended it. They liked River Kwai too. Said Ayuthaya just many piles of rocks *pengz* ... so you can see why i'm a bit hesitant to try their recommendations :o

Which has more thrilling rides? Siam Park City or Dreamworld?

Think i will consider going Safari World and Ayuthaya. They sound interesting. Will skip Dusit Zoo :D

They also said Calypso is nice. Tried Siam Niramit b4 n its certainly not bad. World class production although the story not as dramatic as cats, phantom n les miserables.

Chocolate Ville looks interesting as well.

Gum sia for the recommendations!

Ayutthaya is nice and I managed to go there alone on Sunday. Took the train and paid the 3rd class local fare (15 bahts), nice experience whereby the train no aircon and wooden seats LOL. :s13:

Toons

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ayutthaya is nice and I managed to go there alone on Sunday. Took the train and paid the 3rd class local fare (15 bahts), nice experience whereby the train no aircon and wooden seats LOL. :s13:

Bro, can give me details on the train transportation to Ayuthaya? Take from where, roughly how long etc. Save me some time goggling :s13: The 3rd class local train sound interesting! Authentic experience :D

Hmmm, you looking for table tennis kakis? If you can do mon, wed or fri afternoons, i know of a grp of ppl playing.

Beno777

Reaction score
Bro, can give me details on the train transportation to Ayuthaya? Take from where, roughly how long etc. Save me some time goggling :s13: The 3rd class local train sound interesting! Authentic experience :D

Hmmm, you looking for table tennis kakis? If you can do mon, wed or fri afternoons, i know of a grp of ppl playing.

I only can play in weekdays evening.

Train took 2 hours. Take MRT to HuaLamphong, follow the sign to HuaLamphong Train station, once u walk up will be at the entrance of the train station. Go to ticket counter, tell them Ayutthaya and tell them 3rd class :D, there are some guai lan counter staffs who might refuse to sell u 3rd class if they see u tourist.Buy ticket le jus go in find your train and board. There are train leaving 8.20, 8.30 and 9.25. Go early the best. I ran all the way from MRT to station with two ang mo but missed by 5 mins, thus took 9.25 and reached ayutthaya 11.30 :s22:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.