Tricks by Grab drivers in Thailand

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got this from a friend... can check it out and save some real bucks.

There's a whole list of new Grab benefits awaiting for you at
๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

๐Ÿš— ๐Ÿš˜ Grab Benefits ๐Ÿš™ ๐Ÿš•

๐Ÿ’ฅ Enjoy 20% off THIRTY(30) rides in the month after completing 4 rides
โšกEnjoy 50% off FIVE (5) rides on the 3rd Monday of every month
โœจGet access to members-only Grab events

Terms and Conditions apply
------------------------------------------------

I remember their opening special was $18 if join in mid may ...
Wanna to join ... However see their terms and conditions, like not worth.
unless you are someone who always take grab ...

50% , capped at 6sgd.
Only on the 3rd monday of every calendar month.

20%, capped at 4sgd
up to 30 redemption per calendar month, after taking 4 rides.

slashmylove

Reaction score
Anyone booked grab before from airport to hotel in Sukhumvit for 5 adults + 3 medium sized luggage? Can fit in anot?

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone booked grab before from airport to hotel in Sukhumvit for 5 adults + 3 medium sized luggage? Can fit in anot?

If u going to book grab, can try booking 2 normal car ...
should be about 400+ before toll charges

If u going to take big innova taxi, best to get your own driver
tripAdvisor drivers quote 700b (inclusive of toll)
if taking from airport, normally turns out to be 800+ , friends took few times before ... not sure if they have adjusted the meter ...

devilpinky

Reaction score
Hi what do u mean TripAdvisor driver?

Thanks

If u going to book grab, can try booking 2 normal car ...
should be about 400+ before toll charges

If u going to take big innova taxi, best to get your own driver
tripAdvisor drivers quote 700b (inclusive of toll)
if taking from airport, normally turns out to be 800+ , friends took few times before ... not sure if they have adjusted the meter ...

DRbeebeebeejay

Master Member
Reaction score
Tried grabtaxi 6 seater. By the time reach my pickup location meter 100+. Do they have the practice of starting meter once they accept the booking?

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried grabtaxi 6 seater. By the time reach my pickup location meter 100+. Do they have the practice of starting meter once they accept the booking?
wa the moment you board 100+baht?? he must be very happy after you guys paid and alighted. can go home early and sleep

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

DRbeebeebeejay

Master Member
Reaction score
wa the moment you board 100+baht?? he must be very happy after you guys paid and alighted. can go home early and sleep

Yes did seem fishy but the chicken in me got the better of me. Don't think so lah only SGD5-6 more how to go home early.

DRbeebeebeejay

Master Member
Reaction score
No.

Bangkok Taxi Meter Rate

35 baht is a starting taxi fare in Bangkok so you should see it on the meter at the start of your journey and for this price you can travel up to 1 km.

For the distance from 1 km to 10 km the meter rate is set at 5.50 baht/km. Bangkok taxi fare changes by 2 baht so the meter will go up every 0.36-0.37 km at this rate.

The longer the distance of your trip by Bangkok taxi, the higher meter rate is. When the distance gets over 10 km, up to 20 km you will be paying 6.50 baht/km and the meter will go up by 2 baht every 0.30-0.31 km. The distance from 20 km to 40 km has a set meter rate of 7.50 baht/km, from 40 km to 60 km - 8.00 baht/km, from 60 km to 80 km โ€“ 9.00 baht/km and over 80 km - 10.50 baht/km. The meter will still go up by 2 baht but the more far you go, the faster it will be happening.

The taxi meter price for the distance covered usually isnโ€™t the only part of Bangkok taxi fare. As traffic conditions in Thai capital are complicated and traffic jams here is a norm, for every minute the taxi cannot move by more than 6 km/h speed you will have to pay extra taxi fare of 2 baht/minute.

Bangkok Taxi Surcharges

If you will decide to take a taxi at taxi stand in one of Bangkokโ€™s airports (Suvarnabhumi Airport or Don Mueang Airport), there will be an additional surcharge of 50 baht to the metered fare.

There is a 20 baht surcharge for hiring the taxi through the radio communication center but you wonโ€™t really need to use it as itโ€™s much easier just to get a taxi on the street.

Passengers are also required to pay any road tolls on top of any metered taxi fare.

35+50+20

Looks like can add this in the list of potential grabtaxi scams.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I myself rarely, if not never take taxis when I'm in Thailand anymore.. almost purely grabcar after landing in Thailand till the ride back to airport departing Thailand.. save the hassle of all these little patterns and last min stunts that taxi drivers like to perform. although grab itself already managed to resolve the big problem of hailing down cabs on the roadside with drivers accepting or rejecting your destination and drivers quoting me fixed price when I speak English or ownself on meter when I speak Thai. (-_-")

the only exceptions are those late-night trips back home whereby I'm too tired or tipsy to walk down the row of taxis and find a meter taxi and secondly perhaps is once in awhile I will take tuktuk for short trips during times with really very bad traffic jams. no win/motosai for me because I used ride bikes during much of my young adult life and I cannot get pass the idea of being someone else's pillion. :s13:

Last edited:

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Phuket take grab safe or not ah?

Taking grab in phuket is expensive ...

price is 250b onwards, even for few minutes journey ...
basically phuket take tuk tuk or grab is very expensive, compared to bangkok ...

palmpda

Reaction score
Drivers everywhere got pattern one.

Think in Singapore we also kena. Recently kena one Grabshare driver that never show up and yet still press picked up on his driver app. End up wrote into complain to get refund. Don't know super idiotic or super blur. Could be either way.

BKK drivers a lot don't seem to know how to use the GPS map.... Kena a few they are one street away but still need directions from hotel staff to speak to them in Thai.

By all means, learn the funny patterns but keep an open mind and heart especially when overseas.

Pseudomonas

Reaction score
When taking the highway/expressway from the Airport, please insist on handing over the toll fees to the officer yourself. If you are not aware of the toll fee charges (2-4/4-6 passenger vehicle), the grab driver would inflate the cost of the additional toll fees.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.