Ace travel insurance

Sofero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Gonna add to this thread on my experience with ACE insurance travel insurance.

After claim was filed and documents sent in, I even wrote to notify them I have send out the documents but I did not see a response until I call them 1 and a half month later, then they claimed they had sent me the rejection letter two weeks after I sent the document, which I have never seen.
And because my case was having a fall on the way to the airport, no overseas medical treatment because duh! Was trying to catch a plane back to sg, and when back in sg went for tcm for back pain, so the claim was rejected.
I understood the difficulty for the cso to respond to the case other than follow the clauses so I specifically asked for the case to be escalated for further consideration if possible,the cso promised me that the case will be escalated, so I followed up with an email documenting the request. However there were no response to my email, at all. Really is fuss free to purchase insurance but sibei difficult to get a reply on the claim request and follow up enquiries. Gonna avoid ACE travel insurance from now on, really a waste of time and money lo.

amberlight

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sho scarwee, will notch buy ACE riao... bought twice but not sick or anything. always wonder why sho cheap

this round i bought tenet sompo after reading all their claim clauses and also they offered 45% discounts :s34:

prefer a well protected insurance just in case unexpected things happen and not duno this cannot claim that cannot claim due to 10001reasons, which a laymen will never understand the rationale behind it

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I always get ACE travel insurance. Never had a problem claiming. Went on a 35 days trip, came back sick, went to the doctors twice within 2 weeks and managed to get the claim reimbursed without any hassle.

h0neystars

Reaction score
anyway, please be careful and persistent with ACE insurance.

I filed for a claim earlier this year for some post journey medical expenses whereby i fulfilled all of their requirements for claim.

After 2 weeks, they made a phone call (likely to be indian call centre) and asked a few questions and then sent me an email saying that my claim was unsuccessful.

"We would like to draw your attention to the following Section of the Policy Wording:

SECTION 2 – POST JOURNEY MEDICAL EXPENSES

If, during the Period of Insurance, whilst the Insured Person is on a Journey, the Insured Person sustains Bodily Injury or Sickness, and necessarily incurs Medical Expenses or Dental Expenses in Singapore within thirty-one (31) days after the end of the Journey, the Company will reimburse the Insured Person in respect of such expenses up to a maximum of the relevant Benefit amount specified in the Certificate of Insurance subject to the terms and conditions of this Policy and the following additional condition.

We also wish to highlight the definition of Journey and Medical Expenses as indicated in the policy wording means:

Medical Expenses means Usual, Reasonable and Customary Medical Expenses necessarily and reasonably incurred in the medical or surgical treatment of Bodily Injury or Sickness covered by this Policy.

Journey means a One Way Journey or a Return Journey.

In this instance, in view that the first symptoms appears after the travel period which is 12 May 2014, we regret to advise that the Policy will be unable to respond to the claim for Post Journey Medical Expenses Benefit.

Please note that the decision made on your claim is based on all the documents/information available to us. If you have any additional information and/or documentation that would help us to change our decision, please let us know so that we can review your claim further. "

Feeling ridiculous and angry, I got my underwriter friend to write a reply explaining their terms and conditions again, with reference to my situation. They didn't reply me. Three weeks later, I sent another letter threatening to bring this up to a higher level if they continue to ignore my email.

They replied almost a month later (when I have almost forgotten about this issue) saying that "After carefully reviewing the claim with the information you provided us, we have decided to overturn our decision and cover your claim under POST JOURNEY MEDICAL EXPENSES."

After all this hassle, my claim was only $80 =p

CONCLUSION: Continue buying ACE and be persistent when filing claims (if any) or grab the other options. Apart from ACE, I've filed claims from NTUC and it's very efficient.

Anyway, I've done a summary of the various insurance promotions in singapore: Volume 4: Are you feeling confused with travel insurance?Flyhoneystars x Follow My Footsteps | Flyhoneystars x Follow My Footsteps

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Same here, bought few times with them. once our luggage was damaged, wrote to them, they took few weeks then get back to us ... we email our airline, cx, and they get back to us 3 days , bring our luggage back to repair , then back to us ...

wont buy ace anymore, once is enough.
plus now so many ppl wrote their experience with ace, the more wont buy lol ...

terrier2307

Reaction score
Ace insurer can reply in the first few posts then stop replying after everyone posting the negatives comments.

I used to sign with ACE for my citibank credit shield, then out of no where they upgraded it to shield plus say cover this and cover that.. after I ask them few questions which they cant even answer but trying to smoke me.. that is when I cancel all their credit shield policies with them.

To me they are not a BIG or reputable company, so ACE insurance are already in my blacklisted list since then.

eq2addict

Master Member
Reaction score
ACE policy already quite bad , i bought 1x due to citibank credit card. but when i read the policy in detail. a lot of things nvr cover sia.

Heng i bought NUTC insurance for HK trip ( later cancelled due to the protest) and was refunded very fast and no question asked.

bluegt

Reaction score
I've made a claim with ACE before, it was for a cash payment resulting from a travel delay of ~24hours.

I provided all of the necessary documentation per the terms of the policy and had no issue having it approved.

Personally, I don't expect that they will bend the rules for me and carefully read the wording of the policy before buying it. I also make sure to keep a copy in my email so that if anything happens while travelling, I can check it to make sure that I am covered. For anything that happens in Singapore, you should really keep separate insurance and claim with that.

I have compared every travel insurance policy in Singapore and for non-medical coverage (i.e., damaged baggage, travel delay, theft, etc.), ACE is by far the best with the most flexible policy.

Sofero

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
They Pinoy CSO will screw things up jiatlat jiatlat for u. Lol

Stuffed

Master Member
Reaction score
I've claimed once before for damaged baggage (zipper was cut). At first they contacted me requesting for baggage purchase receipt but I don't have it as the bag is like almost 10 years old. So I did not think I will get any compensation.

In the end, they took my declared bag value, calculated the depreciation and paid me.

I have been buying travel insurance from them, mainly because they cover non competitive mountaineering, but have not had to make any claims since.

Reaction score
NEVER BUY ANYTHING FROM ACE!!

just to keep you guys updated after my previous post.

Took them 6 months to reply, and they took the travel advisory dated 2 months after my trip to tell me that it was actually safe to go. :s8:

that goes to show that they actually went to see a travel advisory in july telling people to exercise caution for the trip to reject my claim of a trip in MAY.

now they went silent on me again.

can you imagine how the claim got rejected in the first place? that means they didn't even assess the situation properly in the first place when they rejected the claim, then when i appealed, they took 6 months to try and dig info to reject my claim.

worse still dug a july travel advisory to try and counter my appeal, now they are making a fool out of themselves.

i don't need the money back already, will be glad just to share this around and warn others of the incompetence of such lousy coy.

buy at your own risk!!

Reaction score
now i am told they have no access to may travel advisory, they don't know what is written in may, but they say they doubt it will affect their decision.

so there you have it, a company that don't know the situation but just rejects your claim anyway without basis. :s8:

use a july travel advisory to reject your trip in may.

May:
Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra Ordered to Step Down - NBC News
Yingluck Shinawatra, Thai Prime Minister, Forced To Resign Over Abuse Of Power
Thailand Political News 2014: Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra Booted From Power, Steps Down; What Happened? : US News : Latin Post

july:
JURIST - Thailand king endorses interim constitution

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ACE has many partner banks distributing their travel insurance. Citibank being 1 of them and regularly offers 40%-50% discount. Be careful that the coverage & benefits differ across these policies so you are not buying the same policy even though its the same insurer.
Some difference in terms I have noted include;
1) not covering ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE/LOSS to personal effects/luggage, but only covering damage/loss due to robbery, acts of violence etc
2) time limit to see local doctor may range from 2 days to 7 days after return if not treated overseas. Treatment period usually lasts 30 or 31 days. ie if you only see the local doctor on 3rd day, claim may be rejected

TheOne

Reaction score
Recently tried to file a claim with Ace Travel Insurance which was pretty similar to what I've read here in this thread. Came down with diarrhoea on last day of trip so I thought I'd just see a GP in Singapore since I was leaving at an unearthly hour from my travel location anyway. Ace rejected the claims as apparently their local medical expenses can only be claimed if there had been an overseas medical expense. My goodness, the limit for this claim is only $500 so it's not like anyone is gonna randomly just see a GP for fun to make this claim?! Can I check if other travel insurances have such restrictions? I've been on their annual plan for the past 3 years and am tempted to switch to something more comprehensive because if they can't even provide coverage for this, I can't imagine how they'll fare for more serious claims like baggage delays and lost items.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lol ... bought before from there long time ago...
then claim was terribly bad lol ...
took so long to reply ...
then gave out, bought aviva instead ...
everytime if not feeling well, then come back see doctor within 5 days can claim

gasband

Reaction score
Am I the only lucky one to receive my claims pretty fast?

Had quite a good experience with them but that was only once so cannot comment too much

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am I the only lucky one to receive my claims pretty fast?

Had quite a good experience with them but that was only once so cannot comment too much

haha not sure, u claim on what ?
if is medical, u c doctor overseas or locally ? within how many days ?

gasband

Reaction score
Actually this one is lagi fortunate, because I bought an annual worldwide coverage in January a couple of years ago and in Feb I went on a 3 week trip from Singapore to Dubai, then to Sao Paulo, then to Chile, then transit back at Auckland then to Singapore. It was at the Auckland end that I got delayed by 21 hours because of plane issues. That entitled me to 400 bucks when the premium was on a special discount of 382 then haha.... I came back, submit the claim for the delay, they got back to me within a couple of days asking me for more documents like boarding pass etc and receive the cheque less than 2 weeks.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually this one is lagi fortunate, because I bought an annual worldwide coverage in January a couple of years ago and in Feb I went on a 3 week trip from Singapore to Dubai, then to Sao Paulo, then to Chile, then transit back at Auckland then to Singapore. It was at the Auckland end that I got delayed by 21 hours because of plane issues. That entitled me to 400 bucks when the premium was on a special discount of 382 then haha.... I came back, submit the claim for the delay, they got back to me within a couple of days asking me for more documents like boarding pass etc and receive the cheque less than 2 weeks.

how about medical ? anyone claim before from ace ?
see singapore doctor within 5 days after arrival into singapore ... ?

aftershock

1 Thread in Gaming/Entertainment Class Notebook Hu
Reaction score
Ace insurance

Never purchase from ACE insurance, cause they find ways and means not to pay out the claims...i been hospitalized for 5 days and i did not get a sigle cent from them even when i have been with them for almost 5 years..this is my 1 st time claiming and i never get my claims and now they told me i only incept the policy in Jan 2015 when i have the policy purchase at least 5 years ago. My policy was under hospitalization and i satill did not get any cliams..cancelling all my policy with them no more damn ACE...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.