Anyone been to Laos ?

Ekspakk

Reaction score
For 8 days, just go Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang, stay in both place at least 2 nights.

Vientiane --> (3 to 4 hrs) VV --> (6 to 7 hrs) LP --> (12 hrs) Vientiane. To save time, you can take night bus back to Vientiane, surprisingly comfy.

Vientiane - Nothing much to do. Slowly becoming a Korean town.
Vang Vieng - For party and nature lovers. Very nice place that you should go even if you don't like partying, so much things to see and do besides partying. Already a Korean town.... lol
Luang Prabang - World Heritage Site.

butterbarter

Reaction score
Pick any 2-3 from the below:

* Vientiane - just chill, visit bombie museum and temples.

* Luang Prabang - fantastic place to chill, sightseeing. Love this place.

* Plain of Jars (Phonsavan) - Take a day tour in the morning to see the mysterious Plain of Jars. There are several sites, but the tour should cover the main ones. Or if you can ride a motorbike, rent one and go visit on your own (recommend this only if you have a motorbike licence as riding in Laos is dangerous for newbies).

* Van Vieng - used to be a really crazy party town of drugs and alcohol and riverside parties, but authorities have clamped down after tourists died. Not sure it's current status. Last time I was there, it was quite subdued, with lots of restaurants and day tours to the surrounding rivers and caves.

Transport between cities is mostly by minivan or big buses. Minivans are faster, but more dangerous as the drivers are crazy. Prepare to spend half to a full day traveling, so allocate your time accordingly.

Gerridin

Reaction score
I went to Luang Prabang before. I remembered going to a night market and Kuang Si waterfall.

GetaBlue

Master Member
Reaction score
I went to Luang Prabang before. I remembered going to a night market and Kuang Si waterfall.

Hi, sry to dig out old thread, but for Luang Prabang,

1 - bring USD there to change or can I use Thai baht over there easily
2 - data Sim, easy to buy there?

many thanks

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Hi, sry to dig out old thread, but for Luang Prabang,

1 - bring USD there to change or can I use Thai baht over there easily
2 - data Sim, easy to buy there?

many thanks

Bring USD for your needs. Thai baht is not very acceptable there, unlike in Vientiane.

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cross by train? You mean going by Nong Khai into Vientiane? 🤔 never tried before ****. Enjoy your trip 🤗

I just did a few days ago. No need visa for Singaporean. But need to pay immigration 'admin' fee of 50baht per pax to enter Laos. Note that there is an option to pay 300baht at nong khai which includes shuttle train to thanaleng and minivan to Vientiane. It is cheaper to pay 20baht for train to thanaleng, then pay 150baht at thanaleng to the minivan person to bring you to Vientiane.

Arceptionist

Master Member
Reaction score
can go vang vieng...

it used to be quite happening but now quieter.

can go on buggy rides, canoeing, ATV, etc..

lots of koreans there though, no idea why

coolhead

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can go vang vieng...

The Korean soft culture in terms of music is quite strong here in Laos, but I also see alot of Korean tourists in Laos, no idea why also lol... I stayed in Vientiane as it is only 3d2n here :)

Arceptionist

Master Member
Reaction score
The Korean soft culture in terms of music is quite strong here in Laos, but I also see alot of Korean tourists in Laos, no idea why also lol... I stayed in Vientiane as it is only 3d2n here :)

imo vientiane is quite boring, theres not much to do there other than the fact that the airport is nearest to vientiane

vang vieng and luang prabang are a must if you visit laos

Ekspakk

Reaction score
Also surprised when I went that VV is like small Korean town. They say 1 popular Korean show went to Vang Vieng previously, after that Vang Vieng became so popular in S. Korea.

finale1

Master Member
Reaction score
can go vang vieng...

Is Tubing still allowed in Vang Vien after many drunk ang mohs drowned?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.