HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone been to Myanmar?

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #31
Junior Moderator

Vesak Day is a major holiday in Myanmar. Lots of natives are likely to be on the roads and in the temples, I reckon. Will you be able to get a driver and will businesses close? You better check.
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #32
Master Member

Vesak Day is a major holiday in Myanmar. Lots of natives are likely to be on the roads and in the temples, I reckon. Will you be able to get a driver and will businesses close? You better check.
yup doing double checking and getting more updates from Tripadvisor. I thinking of postponing it to year end now. haha.
Bak_Chor_Mee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #33

You have to check your flight timings etc. for the 1st-half. For bus journeys between Yangon and Bagan, its abt 10hrs.

For your 2nd-half, it's possible if you can tahan long bus journeys.
I took the overnight bus from Bagan to Yangon arriving at 5-6am, and straightaway took the 7am bus to Kyaitiyo/Golden Rock. Arrive abt 12noon. Of course, if u have personal car/driver, then no issue but note the long hours on transport.

dear all, pls advise if this is feasible..

Upon reaching Myanmar, head immediately to Bagan & spend 3 days there to explore. Head back to Yangon and hire a car to take to Golden Rock. Most probably will stay a night up there to experience the sunset. When the driver can meet the next morning, will try to visit Bago on the way back. Will spend the next day visiting the sights of Yangon and depart the next day.
wuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #34
Clone Trooper

For those planning trip to yangon during this year end... Take note SEA Games will be held from 11 Dec 2013. i think end on 22 Dec.

Guess prices will shoot up during this period.
Eanstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #35
Master Member

thanks for the info
Old 24-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #36
Supremacy Member

unfortunately yes.
hmm, how much does it cost?
evolute8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #37
Master Member

hmm, how much does it cost?
MYANMAR EMBASSY, SINGAPORE
Old 25-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #38
Supremacy Member

MYANMAR EMBASSY, SINGAPORE
thank you!
evolute8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #39
Junior Moderator

Takes two days to get visa.

Submit application early so u dont a long queue.
Next day, go early in the afternoon so u have a short queue.

I was there twice before.
Both times queues were long and second time, had to queue an hour! I was even in the first few people.
Others had to queue for about 1.5 to 2 hours, just to collect.
Hisashiburi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #40

hows the internet connection there , is it good ?
wisely2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #41

generally horrible

wuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #42

Can anybody who has travelled to Myanmar give me a rough estimate of how much you spent? I am considering a trip there for about 3-4 weeks, but according to what I'm reading online, Myanmar is not that cheap for a solo traveller (compared to its neighbours). For e.g. I could find cheap single rooms in Vietnam for maybe around 6-8USD especially outside of the main cities, but I'm reading that single rooms in Myanmar cost about twice as much. Anybody can verify this?

Last edited by ironsteel; 04-05-2013 at 04:19 PM..
ironsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:53 PM   #43

Can anybody who has travelled to Myanmar give me a rough estimate of how much you spent? I am considering a trip there for about 3-4 weeks, but according to what I'm reading online, Myanmar is not that cheap for a solo traveller (compared to its neighbours). For e.g. I could find cheap single rooms in Vietnam for maybe around 6-8USD especially outside of the main cities, but I'm reading that single rooms in Myanmar cost about twice as much. Anybody can verify this?
It's best to ask a Burmese travel agent as things have changed drastically since Myanmar opened up and US lifted sanctions just a few months ago.

There are a bunch of travel agents in Peninsular Plaza. I used Vega travel for my bookings. They can do hotel bookings, tickets bookings (air, boat), and can offer you advice on where to visit. Best of all, they have an office (also called Vega) in central Yangon, so you can drop by and pick up all your domestic tickets from there, and they'll be up to date on the latest happenings in Burma.

You can save some money if you book it in Yangon directly as compared to booking in Singapore. But still, it's no harm talking to the Singapore branch offices.

VERY IMPORTANT : ask if there are now ATMs in Yangon. 2 years ago there were NO ATMs, and you have to bring all your money in brand new crisp US dollars. Even a single ink mark or blemish is unacceptable. They have the most anal money-exchange conditions I've ever seen.

Last edited by butterbarter; 06-05-2013 at 09:56 PM..
butterbarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #44

dear all, pls advise if this is feasible..

Upon reaching Myanmar, head immediately to Bagan & spend 3 days there to explore. Head back to Yangon and hire a car to take to Golden Rock. Most probably will stay a night up there to experience the sunset. When the driver can meet the next morning, will try to visit Bago on the way back. Will spend the next day visiting the sights of Yangon and depart the next day.
I was in Burma for 2 weeks 2 years ago. Of the places I visited, I think Bagan and Inle Lake were my favorites. Yangon is a bit of a novelty ( rarely do you see a capital city in such bad shape ), but frankly, apart from temples, there really isn't that much to do. Bago is not a bad way to spend some spare time, but not really worth the 1 day/40USD car rental.

I would suggest you spend 2 days in Yangon, and the remaining time in either Inle or Bagan. Inle is chill out and hiking place, and Bagan is temples galore.

If I had to choose between Bagan and Inle, I think I would choose Bagan because you can cover most of the major sights in 2 days. To chill in the relaxing pace of life in Inle, you'll need 3-4 days, which you do not have.

Don't travel by land. It's very very slow. Travel by domestic plane. They mostly use Russian planes, both jets and propeller planes, so it can be a bit unnerving to know you are getting onto a pretty old plane. I didn't relish the flights, but at least the trips were fast. Tickets are around 70USD one-way, but make sure you book the more reliable airlines (there are several airlines, but not all are equally safe. Check with the agent or Google)

Go to Inle + Mandalay when you have more time in future.

Skip the Golden Rock.

Last edited by butterbarter; 06-05-2013 at 10:10 PM..
Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #45

Terrible. Broadband speed is more like modem speed. Facebook and Gmail takes forever to load. Forget about uploading photos or videos. Just browsing and posting updates is a pain.

Not sure if things have improved by now though.

And not all hotels provide internet, so check before you book. You may have to visit a cybercafe, and use the slooooooow connection.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.