HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Dubai and Abu Dhabi, UAE

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2014, 03:18 PM   #16
High Supremacy Member

OK somethings you all have to know about Dubai and the UAE.

The UAE is made of 7 Emirates. That is why it is called the UAE. It is also a small nation. So crossing over Dubai in the north by driving, within 30 min you will be in another Emirate.

The 2nd December St is significant because it is the date the 7 Emirates came together to form the Union. At the end of 2nd December St is the Union House.

The Emiratis don't worship their leaders but they are constantly reminded who is in charge. I think this is due to the huge number of expats and FW here. This is a big portrait of the Vice President and Prime Minister of UAE Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum. This place is behind the Number One Tower Suites I stayed in. The Union Co-operative Supermarket. Yep! Like NTUC Fairprice Except the stuff they have in it is sibeh atas! The cheeses, labneh, all the hummus. Damn atas

Other Emirates will have the portraits of other Sheikhs.

Last edited by genie47; 29-03-2014 at 03:24 PM..
genie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 04:24 AM   #17
High Supremacy Member

OK some info on shopping.

Whatever you can find in SG, you can find in the UAE but there are exceptions. If you are looking for souvenirs for your colleagues and relatives, then some unique stuff is in order. Firstly, dates.

There is this shop called Bateel in the UAE. I think they are from Saudi Arabia. I think KL also got a branch. I came here to get dates stuffed with either caramelized pecans or blanched walnuts. They got different varieties of dates. Not cheap. 1/2 kg cost me SGD27 odd already.

This is the branch at Deira City Center

500g and above can get box.

The dates

Next is amazing nuts and sweets. Go to this place called Choc and Nuts.

You can locate it next to the Carlton Hotel in the town center.

Shop # 14, Ground Floor, Al Owais Building, Baniyas Road, Deira
Dubai Landmark: Near Carlton Tower Hotel

You can get the chocolate coated dates from here. As well as lots of freshly roasted nuts. They sell by weight. I got the lemon salted pistachios. They also have an assortment of Lebanese sweets. Didn't get chocolate because anywhere also can get. Always get stuff that you can't get locally easily.

Inside the store. Under the counter are bins of nuts. They will let you sample. The guys scooped out for me and the nuts are still warm from roasting!

Just be careful, down the street got this imitation shop that bears the same name. Look at the signboard and remember it when hunting for it.
dleodleo likes this.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:35 AM   #18
High Supremacy Member

Miscellaneous photos. These are captured by my LG Optimus G. The photos are enhanced with Google Photos editing function. So those that don't have dedicated camera, don't fret. You can make normal cam photos look like WOW!

Umm Suqeim Open Beach looking towards Burj Al Arab. This is a Sunday which is a working day to them. That is why bo lang. Compare that to the Friday picture I took for the Jumeirah Open Beach.

Took this behind my hotel at the Union Co-operative Supermarket. The sky was clear and beautiful when I landed.

Weather still plays a part in your photo taking and outdoor experience. The previous picture was when I landed. I went to Abu Dhabi and on the day I returned, there was a sandstorm of sorts. On the Google Now info, the weather says "blowing sands"

This is how it looks like when I checked in.

Two days later it cleared up and this picture below is enhanced by Google Photos editing function.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:38 AM   #19
High Supremacy Member

Dubai or the UAE is sort of like a melting pot for the gulf region. So there are lots of other food to try.

On the road to Hatta, we begged the driver to bring us to local food places to eat. He brought us to an Afghan restaurant. Here is Kabul Rice. It is basically Afghan rice. The rice is basmati rice! You know how much we pay for it in kg here?! The whole plate is enough rice for the whole family. Very flavorful and full of fragrant spices. The half chicken is very tender.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #20
Arch-Supremacy Member

good information. i shld consider a longer stopover next time when i take emirates. thanks.
a1v1n_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #21
Master Member

Thanks Genie47 for sharing such a wonderful post.

I tried searching for Singaporean's Dubai trip report or blog but couldn't find.

As flying via Emirates to Europe, you can have an option of having one nite stopover at Dubai. I am thinking of doing that. Thanks for sharing.

Genie47, how you travel around? Is the public transport expensive? Does female need to wear long sleeves and long pants? Weather hotter than Singapore?

Many thanks
dleodleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #22
High Supremacy Member

Thanks Genie47 for sharing such a wonderful post.

I tried searching for Singaporean's Dubai trip report or blog but couldn't find.

As flying via Emirates to Europe, you can have an option of having one nite stopover at Dubai. I am thinking of doing that. Thanks for sharing.

Genie47, how you travel around? Is the public transport expensive? Does female need to wear long sleeves and long pants? Weather hotter than Singapore?

Many thanks
The women no need to wear until like that. Dubai is strangely much more progressive compared to Malaysia or Brunei!

Just that as a woman you have to know your place. Let me tell you their men's attitudes.

We setup a our booth the day before. My manager is a lady. We come back the next day, it is all in a mess. So we started to clean things up but there is this unsightly item in the way. This burly looking Arab guy comes to our booth and tells us he is the organizer, the exhibition opens in a few minutes and he wants this unsightly item out of the way. My manager replied saying that we have set things up well yesterday and apparently "you people messed it up".

Guess how the guy replied?

"DON'T SAY I MESS IT UP! YOU REMOVE THIS ITEM BEFORE EVERYTHING STARTS!"

She suddenly realized she is a very "patriarchal" society. You see she said "you people" but this guy takes it as he is being the one singled out and he being THE MAN, cannot be faulted by a woman and hence his attitude. She kept quiet to let him have his way.

In public a man cannot be seen taking orders or faulted by a woman over in that part of the world.

Hope this doesn't scare you women from going there. Just meekly back away from confrontation with men.

As for their men's behavior, they can get pretty overt in their gawking. There was a group of men checking out the 4ss of one of the women in my party just because she was wearing tight jeans. Patriarchy oh patriarchy!

If you are visiting the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi, there are abayas for rent. The security guards will see if your clothing is fit to enter.

As for transport, taxis are everywhere. Hail one if you need one. Also check out the Dubai Metro. The stations are like space age stuff you see in Star Trek. Very affordable and brings you to the city center as in Deira.

Accommodation is not cheap here but is the cheapest in June because it is the hottest. As for clothes it can get cold at night especially in the desert if you opt for the desert tour. Jeans and T-shirts work well.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #23
High Supremacy Member

Oh yes, no kissing in public. Not even to your wives. Don't even bend down to help your wife or daughter put on a shoe. You have to touch their leg and you can end up in jail. Archaic but bear that in mind. They are progressive but not that progressive. They are overhauling their laws at this moment. Very slow.
Old 13-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #24
Master Member

This is a good thread
Panerex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #25
Master Member

Yeah let's go duabai one of these days.
lcpteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 09:23 AM   #26
Master Member

The women no need to wear until like that. Dubai is strangely much more progressive compared to Malaysia or Brunei!

Just that as a woman you have to know your place. Let me tell you their men's attitudes.

We setup a our booth the day before. My manager is a lady. We come back the next day, it is all in a mess. So we started to clean things up but there is this unsightly item in the way. This burly looking Arab guy comes to our booth and tells us he is the organizer, the exhibition opens in a few minutes and he wants this unsightly item out of the way. My manager replied saying that we have set things up well yesterday and apparently "you people messed it up".

Guess how the guy replied?

"DON'T SAY I MESS IT UP! YOU REMOVE THIS ITEM BEFORE EVERYTHING STARTS!"

She suddenly realized she is a very "patriarchal" society. You see she said "you people" but this guy takes it as he is being the one singled out and he being THE MAN, cannot be faulted by a woman and hence his attitude. She kept quiet to let him have his way.

In public a man cannot be seen taking orders or faulted by a woman over in that part of the world.

Hope this doesn't scare you women from going there. Just meekly back away from confrontation with men.

As for their men's behavior, they can get pretty overt in their gawking. There was a group of men checking out the 4ss of one of the women in my party just because she was wearing tight jeans. Patriarchy oh patriarchy!

If you are visiting the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi, there are abayas for rent. The security guards will see if your clothing is fit to enter.

As for transport, taxis are everywhere. Hail one if you need one. Also check out the Dubai Metro. The stations are like space age stuff you see in Star Trek. Very affordable and brings you to the city center as in Deira.

Accommodation is not cheap here but is the cheapest in June because it is the hottest. As for clothes it can get cold at night especially in the desert if you opt for the desert tour. Jeans and T-shirts work well.
Thanks alot for your reply.
Old 15-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #27
Master Member

Oh yes, no kissing in public. Not even to your wives. Don't even bend down to help your wife or daughter put on a shoe. You have to touch their leg and you can end up in jail. Archaic but bear that in mind. They are progressive but not that progressive. They are overhauling their laws at this moment. Very slow.
OMG! So strict?
Old 18-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #28
Supremacy Member

Upz for this thread.

Is Dubai expensive to travel compared to like Korea and Japan?

Are there any cheap street food?

How about tourist attractions? Any must-go sites?

Basically I find Dubai a very man-made city (like Singapore) without any natural attractions (besides the desert). But in my opinion, is the most "tourist friendly" Arab place. So was thinking if this might be my next holiday destination.
madcampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #29
Supremacy Member

Was told that fast food are readily available.

Cheap Indian food can also be found.

Quite keen on Dubai too!
tomicaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #30
High Supremacy Member

Upz for this thread.

Is Dubai expensive to travel compared to like Korea and Japan?

Are there any cheap street food?

How about tourist attractions? Any must-go sites?

Basically I find Dubai a very man-made city (like Singapore) without any natural attractions (besides the desert). But in my opinion, is the most "tourist friendly" Arab place. So was thinking if this might be my next holiday destination.
Now accommodation expensive. It is cooler at this time of the year. The hottest is June. So the accommodation prices will fall like mad. Tourist attraction is mainly got there fap to their buildings. Sibeh atas and classy compared to our buildings. Like some Star Trek movie San Francisco.

Go there of course sign up for the desert tour. Ride camel, see belly dancer at night. Abu Dhabi main attraction is the Corniche which is their waterfront. Go check TA for the recommendations.

Cheap food can find but also got expensive food. That Al Mallah is sibeh cheap and good. The other one I went, expensive and same as Al Mallah.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.