HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Dubai and Abu Dhabi, UAE

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2014, 12:22 PM   #31
High Supremacy Member

If I return, I will check out Ras al Khor? It is a swamp/oasis area. A lot of migrating flamingos. Go there with long lens and shoot them.

If you are in Abu Dhabi, check out the Masdar Institute. Like some space age learning centre. Sibeh advance. Got robot cars to take you around the place.
genie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 11:01 PM   #32
Supremacy Member

I go TA and it's like most of the UAE visitors are ang moh.

Do they see Asians (non Arab) no up?
tomicaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #33
Supremacy Member

Becos china people doesn't use TA for info.... I bet there are many china tourist there, their visitors has increased by more than 10% compared to 2012 and many tours are now wooing the china tourist (visa, hotel ect all in one for them sui sui).
Delsamor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #34
High Supremacy Member

They love East Asians! I go to the Gold Souk, all of them come up to me speak and speak Korean, Japanese and Chinese. "Ni hao! Lai wo de dian kan yi kan!

Die die want our business. My female friends go there hoot a lot of cashmere scarves. Real cashmere stuff that is not from China.
Old 25-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #35
High Supremacy Member

Update on this thread. 3 years since my last visit to the UAE. Things have changed. 3 days I was there it rained and the service roads to the hotels on Sheikh Zayed Road flooded. Yep. Flood in a country that is in the desert.

Same same. They love East Asian tourists. They come up to me and call out ni hao but I always reply in English that I say "hello" instead.

Why? I'm aghast by the PRC tourist behaviour or maybe they have not been schooled in what is permitted or not in Islamic places of worship.

I was back at the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi again. Free, got air con from the 40 deg heat and worth it for the photos. The Chinese tourists are rather ignorant. They sat and lay down the exquisite carpet in the mosque to take crazy poses for their pictures. Security there is strict and they approach them quickly asking for their cameras and handphones to delete the offending pictures. Producing lots of frowns and bewilderment from them. Some women removed the hoods from the rented abayas for pictures. They were also quickly approached by security to put them back on. One Chinese tourist did a yoga pose for a picture and she too was asked to stop and their picture deleted.

Be reverent when you visit.

Changes? The abaya renting station is now just outside at the carpark. Everyone goes through metal detectors and there is a Coffee Club cafe on site.
Old 25-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #36
High Supremacy Member

One of the things I did for this trip is cycle 80+ km on the purpose built Al-Qudra Cycle Track in the desert. I went in the evening at 6 PM and cycled into the night till 9:30 PM. Cycling in the desert darkness at night is a wonderful experience. Strong headwinds make some stretches very difficult.
Old 25-03-2017, 04:35 PM   #37
Master Member

Did you bring along much AED or rely on credit cards?

I am heading there in April and will be taking a half day local tour including the Grand Mosque. Will be staying at Ritz Carlton and am wondering if it is near to this cycling track you had fun at.
Panerex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #38
High Supremacy Member

I am heading there in April and will be taking a half day local tour including the Grand Mosque. Will be staying at Ritz Carlton and am wondering if it is near to this cycling track you had fun at.
Credit cards and AED. I got AED from the money changer at Sim Lim Sq. I use GET4X app (on Android and iPhone) to find the money changers with the better rates. Got it at SGD1=AED2.59. Later I ran out of cash and have to go for credit card advance. Not good. SGD1=AED2.37 inclusive of charges and fees.

Cycling track is damn far. My report on the Cycling thread in EDMW.

Cycling peeps fall in! - Part 2
Old 25-03-2017, 05:20 PM   #39
High Supremacy Member

This visit, booked to go up on the Burj Khalifa. It is expensive. Very expensive because I booked 4:30 PM leading to sunset. If you booked the early morning visit to the top, it will be cheaper. I think it is 6 AM sunrise visit.

Some of the pictures I took. Didn't bring my dedicated camera since I wanted to travel light. Furthermore on business and a lot of business barang to carry. All these are taken by the LG G6.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:48 PM   #40

Hey Panerex, what dates will you be there?

I'm there from 8th to 13th apr. Staying at 4points just opp u

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #41
Master Member

Hey Panerex, what dates will you be there?

I'm there from 8th to 13th apr. Staying at 4points just opp u

oh,i will be after you by a few weeks
Panerex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:56 PM   #42

Then too bad...will be traveling alone. .thought can find some kopi kaki

clockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #43

I went for a week in Jan 17. I would think that cash in AED is more useful. When you are out of the city like Desert area, you probably will need cash.
My cash mainly use for cab, food, desert area / souk place to buy scarfs, market to buy dates etc
You can use credit card at shopping mall, resturant, hotel etc... but the exchange rate will not be that good. Depends on your needs!
Old 02-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #44
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just wondering how much is enough to bring there for a 1 week trip
Old 28-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #45

Will be going to Dubai for a week. And hoping to visit the exotic Arabic Souqs. But I don't think I can spend all week visiting markets..

Is there any particular few that I should not miss?
firahsarom is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.