Expedia Singapore

ineser

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows if Expedia office can handle refund & cancellations?
Due to my family member medical condition, I have sent Expedia doctor's letter for full refund and yet they keep telling me SQ hasnt reply them. Expedia advised me to go to SQ which I have done so at SQ office (ION Orchard) and SQ unable to do anything since I booked thru Expedia.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Due to my family member medical condition, I have sent Expedia doctor's letter for full refund and yet they keep telling me SQ hasnt reply them. Expedia advised me to go to SQ which I have done so at SQ office (ION Orchard) and SQ unable to do anything since I booked thru Expedia.

The issue with booking via a third party ...

Expedia is an agent. SQ is the provider, they provide the flights. SQ is the one who takes the money. Expedia is the one who collected your money. You don't have much of a choice now except to go thru Expedia.

Expedia will have to do the refund on your behalf and they can impose any refund/admin fee in addition to the airline (SQ) refund/admin fee.

If you have gone direct, buying from SQ, SQ will be the one dealing with you direct. SQ will deal with Expedia direct as they are the one who paid SQ (on your behalf). Can't skip this step once you don't purchase direct from the airline.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

u should contact expedia
let expedia contact sq ...
ultimately is still up to sq whether they would wanna refund u or not ...
if your ticket is non-refundable, chances are very hard ...
normally full fledged airline very hard to get refund one ...

have heard before for some airline, if you managed to get refund, perhaps you only get refund for the fare instead of the taxes ... sq taxes for bkk is around 150+ already ...

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
have heard before for some airline, if you managed to get refund, perhaps you only get refund for the fare instead of the taxes ... sq taxes for bkk is around 150+ already ...

You need to know the difference between an airfare, carrier surcharges, fuel surcharges and taxes. The taxes are collected by the airline on behalf of airports/governments. The airlines earn their revenue from airfares and their fuel surcharges. Airlines do not get anything from airport taxes. So in any case, if any airfares/tickets are non-refundable, the only refundable is the airport taxes cos no flights flown, no airport services utilized so no need to pay for airport taxes. Airport taxes are fixed by the authorities/airports. Airlines cannot markup or markdown the taxes. They collect the taxes as per the amount set (by the airport). Some airlines lump their fuel surcharge into airfares which is another story .... no need to go into this unless you want to talk in specific about 'taxes' in which you so conveniently lump surcharges as taxes. Note that SQ used the term 'carrier surcharges' cos simply, it's not an (airport) 'tax'.

So you take Bangkok as an example...

One is TG and one is SQ
551b7k.jpg

So in any case, the pax will get $64.40 for their refund less any refund/admin fee.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You need to know the difference between an airfare, carrier surcharges, fuel surcharges and taxes. The taxes are collected by the airline on behalf of airports/governments. The airlines earn their revenue from airfares and their fuel surcharges. Airlines do not get anything from airport taxes. So in any case, if any airfares/tickets are non-refundable, the only refundable is the airport taxes cos no flights flown, no airport services utilized so no need to pay for airport taxes. Airport taxes are fixed by the authorities/airports. Airlines cannot markup or markdown the taxes. They collect the taxes as per the amount set (by the airport). Some airlines lump their fuel surcharge into airfares which is another story .... no need to go into this unless you want to talk in specific about 'taxes' in which you so conveniently lump surcharges as taxes. Note that SQ used the term 'carrier surcharges' cos simply, it's not an (airport) 'tax'.

So you take Bangkok as an example...

U very knowledgeable :)
can be my travel tourism prof already ...

joeey

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u should contact expedia
let expedia contact sq ...
ultimately is still up to sq whether they would wanna refund u or not ...
if your ticket is non-refundable, chances are very hard ...
normally full fledged airline very hard to get refund one ...

Sq still got ok.. friend cant travel due to health prob and he bought non refunded tickets, end up sq refund him and wifey ticket in full

chengs21

Reaction score
i last check my flight was SG$589.00 but somehow i am charge with SGD593.60 in my credit card, its a $4.60 difference. not a lot but how come like that? is it due to so called Dynamic currency conversion ?

This amount is it possible to get back?

Solo_Apple

Reaction score
i last check my flight was SG$589.00 but somehow i am charge with SGD593.60 in my credit card, its a $4.60 difference. not a lot but how come like that? is it due to so called Dynamic currency conversion ?

This amount is it possible to get back?

It is possible to get it back. It should be 0.8%.

$589 * 0.008 = $4.71.

I would suggest you to use shopback to claim back this 0.8% for the airfare. Don't abuse it for the small $. If your DCC is > $15, you can email them to request a refund. As almost all the banks charge this DCC for Expedia, sooner or later they will refuse to refund this DCC fee for their customers.

chengs21

Reaction score
thanks! i will try. how do they decide how much to charge? very random.

can i also check, in my itinerary they didn't specify how much baggage i can bring on. i am on a full fledge flight. should i call them?

g_t2006

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

can i also check, in my itinerary they didn't specify how much baggage i can bring on. i am on a full fledge flight. should i call them?

Check on the airlines website.

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Depends on which airline u r flying ...
cathay , thai airways, sq, mh, etc gives 30kg checked in luggage.
normally the rest should be 20kg or 23kg

have booked air ticket on expedia before
after booked with them, would use the booking number and check on the airline website. you should be able to find your itinenary of their website
if not u have to call expedia and ask ...

oceanicmanta

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for CX Econ, its 30kg "for tickets initially issued on or after 15 September 2016" ... else it's 20kg

Solo_Apple

Reaction score
shopback just changed their ** for Expedia from 8% to 6%. Time to switch to hotels.com now.

Not sure whether hotels.com will be charged DCC by bank.

chengs21

Reaction score
flying by vietnam airline,
i went to the VA website to check, basically its not listed.

Duration
03hr 15min
Class Economy
Aircraft Airbus A321-100/200
* Operated by Vietnam Airlines
SEAT no seats selected
BAGGAGE( )

baggage side --> empty.... haha

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
shopback just changed their ** for Expedia from 8% to 6%. Time to switch to hotels.com now.

Not sure whether hotels.com will be charged DCC by bank.

Sian ,,, always is 8% or 9% for visa ...
hotels.com and expedia price the same ...
they under same boss ...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.