Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

For those who love to travel alone

Like Tree277Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2017, 02:56 AM   #2551
Great Supremacy Member

I haven't been, but thats exactly what I heard from other independent travelers too. So it seems quite rampant. And lots of harassing for females too?
i didn't notice any gender specific harassment. but then the only girl i spent more than 24hrs hanging out with is a crazy spanish chick. wouldn't wanna mess with her.

The touristy 'infrastructure' sounds just like mainstream Cambodia and Vietnam. Hard to avoid, but if it gets too in-your-face, it is very annoying and definitely drives you indoors.
this! felt very little motivation to go out. would have stayed in to read books if i didn't meet other people. glad i went to the safari though.

We did not face any issues other than the usual touting by locals.
Always be prudent not to accept any food/drinks from locals. Always look after your belongings.
Due to the influx of Tourists from China, they assumed that we are also from China.
food and drinks from the locals was actually one of the few good things i remember. got free water from the shops on adam's peak after getting absorbed into a group of boys. also, the guidebooks don't tell you there's free curry rice at the entrance of the temple. so good after too much dhal.

How much did you spend?? I hate people trying to overcharge Tourists.. Indonesia was the worst among the countries I been to. Philippines was the best. I feel safe there

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3010 using GAGT
i didn't feel overcharged in indonesia? the attractions list out the different prices and i'm fine with that. can't recally how much i spent already. about $500 for airfare via emirates and maybe $300 for 4-5days.

Some places are very touristy, like Kandy and the southern beach towns of Mirissa. But generally, I didn't have any issues with touts, thieves, or other usual annoyances.

Maybe because I had my own tuk tuk as transport, so was able to avoid the usual places like bus stations, train stations, cab stands, etc, where the scum who prey on tourists usually congregate.

A couple of the attractions were, in my humble opinion, quite overrated, and while might appeal to Westerners who have never seen an idol or temple before, wasn't really all that interesting to me. But I guess to each their own.

Overall, it was a great experience though. I would happily return to SL again some time in the future.
this! glad you had a better experience.

i've always thought it's overrated. there's a lot squeezed into a small space but they aren't the best examples of temples, mountains or beaches. kinda like a buffet. good enough and you get variety.

might be a great place for first time backpackers to sample everything and zoom in on the aspects they enjoy? i'm all for quality over quantity these days. just got back from a 2 week trip without venturing beyond a 10km radius.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:20 AM   #2552

Is Sri Lanka expensive for solo? Seriously considering Sri Lanka as my next solo destination.
Well I saw many western backpackers in Sri Lanka so I guess it's affordable. If you are into sea, surfing, whales, safari, nature, hiking, buddhist history/culture, portugese/british colonial history, wild animals, different types of curries... then Sri Lanka is a must place to visit. You wont be disappointed.
Marissa0716 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:26 AM   #2553

Some places are very touristy, like Kandy and the southern beach towns of Mirissa. But generally, I didn't have any issues with touts, thieves, or other usual annoyances.

Maybe because I had my own tuk tuk as transport, so was able to avoid the usual places like bus stations, train stations, cab stands, etc, where the scum who prey on tourists usually congregate.

A couple of the attractions were, in my humble opinion, quite overrated, and while might appeal to Westerners who have never seen an idol or temple before, wasn't really all that interesting to me. But I guess to each their own.

Overall, it was a great experience though. I would happily return to SL again some time in the future.
I skip Kandy but went to Mirissa for the whale watching. Its so funny. Imagine 10-20 boats behave like Formula One cars chasing after a few whales. Anyway Mirissa facing the Indian Ocean is simply gorgeous. Waves a bit strong too swim but surfers will love it.
Marissa0716 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #2554

If you have some form of transport, like a bicycle or scooter, you could ride along the beach and find small corners or inlets where the waves are blocked by rocks and outcrops, and the waters are calm and great for soaking and swimming. I found one and spent a couple of hours just relaxing in the water.

Then just walk 30 meters to the next open unprotected beach and enjoy getting bashed by huge waves. That in itself is pretty fun too.

I skip Kandy but went to Mirissa for the whale watching. Its so funny. Imagine 10-20 boats behave like Formula One cars chasing after a few whales. Anyway Mirissa facing the Indian Ocean is simply gorgeous. Waves a bit strong too swim but surfers will love it.
butterbarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #2555

Hi everyone, first time travelling solo to Laos on Monday and I'm beginning to feel anxious about it! I'm 19, female and I've always wanted to try solo travelling, so I decided to go before sch starts in Aug any advice from you guys here? I'll be there for ~10 days, Luang Prabang > Vang Vieng > Vientiene. Abit scared that I won't be able to make friends in the hostel etc haha... also safety wise, I've searched on other forums and everyone says its safe! But just looking for advice from fellow Singaporeans thanks in advance!
butterbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #2556

Hi everyone, first time travelling solo to Laos on Monday and I'm beginning to feel anxious about it! I'm 19, female and I've always wanted to try solo travelling, so I decided to go before sch starts in Aug any advice from you guys here? I'll be there for ~10 days, Luang Prabang > Vang Vieng > Vientiene. Abit scared that I won't be able to make friends in the hostel etc haha... also safety wise, I've searched on other forums and everyone says its safe! But just looking for advice from fellow Singaporeans thanks in advance!
Just don't accept drinks from others especially from those who keeps pushing you to accept.
Keep your valuables safe at all times.
sendtolee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #2557
Supremacy Member

anyone travelled alone to melbourne for a road trip via the great ocean road before? i'm thinking of going next year May
jujuhippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 03:47 PM   #2558

anyone travelled alone to melbourne for a road trip via the great ocean road before? i'm thinking of going next year May
Are you driving or taking those tour buses?
I went there twice, self-drive. Start from Melbourne to Port Fairy. Overnight at Port Fairy, then to Grampians for another night, then Ballarat and back to Melbourne.

There are a lot of "fast and rash" driving style along Great Ocean Road as everyone is rushing to cover as much in 1 day. So please be very careful when wanting to stop and start again. There will be a lot of scenic stops and they are not marked properly. So advise to go slow otherwise the vehicles behind may tailgate too near and fast for you to be able to slow down and stop.

Those tour buses cover Great Ocean Road in 1 day but they do not cover to Port Fairy.
Old 16-07-2017, 05:01 PM   #2559
Supremacy Member

Are you driving or taking those tour buses?
I went there twice, self-drive. Start from Melbourne to Port Fairy. Overnight at Port Fairy, then to Grampians for another night, then Ballarat and back to Melbourne.

There are a lot of "fast and rash" driving style along Great Ocean Road as everyone is rushing to cover as much in 1 day. So please be very careful when wanting to stop and start again. There will be a lot of scenic stops and they are not marked properly. So advise to go slow otherwise the vehicles behind may tailgate too near and fast for you to be able to slow down and stop.

Those tour buses cover Great Ocean Road in 1 day but they do not cover to Port Fairy.
I intend to drive so it's less rushed for me to slowly admire those scenic stops. Only concern is driving alone in a foreign country as I have not done that before

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A5000 using GAGT
Old 16-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #2560

Just don't accept drinks from others especially from those who keeps pushing you to accept.
Keep your valuables safe at all times.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your reply!
butterbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 07:19 PM   #2561

I intend to drive so it's less rushed for me to slowly admire those scenic stops. Only concern is driving alone in a foreign country as I have not done that before

So far, it is safe to drive in Aussie. Prepare a prepaid sim card with call time as may need it if car breaks down.
Just be very careful along Great Ocean Road as there are a lot of bends and blind spots, plus many big tour buses.
Most of the scenic spots are at bends or just after the bends.
Melbourne to Geelong is 1 hour drive. If start at 7am, based on slow drive, spending time at scenic spots, most likely reach Warrnambool around 5-6pm. Can stay at Warrnambool as it is a big town.
I spent time at Geelung, an art town, went to lighthouses, went doen the cliff staircases to the beach. Geelung is the start of the Great Ocean Road drive.
Old 17-07-2017, 05:52 PM   #2562

Guess you're already there by now, but for all others travelling to the Indochina region for the first time: Always be patient and smile, and take the slower pace and language barrier in your stride. Compared to the rest of the region, Singapore is way too efficient.

Also, do bring diarrhoea and cold medication should the weather (rain... !) and food not agree with your body.
lowzeewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #2563
Junior Moderator

Guess you're already there by now, but for all others travelling to the Indochina region for the first time: Always be patient and smile, and take the slower pace and language barrier in your stride. Compared to the rest of the region, Singapore is way too efficient.

Also, do bring diarrhoea and cold medication should the weather (rain... !) and food not agree with your body.
Yes, bring the medication. I had a bad bout of diarrhoae and was bed-ridden in the guesthouse at one stage. I had to struggle to get to a pharmacy. Avoid uncooked food and the local ice as far as possible. Dress conservatively to reduce unwanted attention and also be able to visit temples and locals.
beanstalk6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #2564
Supremacy Member

So far, it is safe to drive in Aussie. Prepare a prepaid sim card with call time as may need it if car breaks down.
Just be very careful along Great Ocean Road as there are a lot of bends and blind spots, plus many big tour buses.
Most of the scenic spots are at bends or just after the bends.
Melbourne to Geelong is 1 hour drive. If start at 7am, based on slow drive, spending time at scenic spots, most likely reach Warrnambool around 5-6pm. Can stay at Warrnambool as it is a big town.
I spent time at Geelung, an art town, went to lighthouses, went doen the cliff staircases to the beach. Geelung is the start of the Great Ocean Road drive.
thanks for the tips! Much appreciated and very helpful

Old 17-07-2017, 11:51 PM   #2565
Master Member

Did it twice. First time started at Sydney and drive all the way to Alice Springs. Second times came back to Sydney via Adelaide and Stuart highway.
invisible999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.